: P0171-p0174

orandaberg
05-30-13, 03:26 AM
Recent DTC in stored and pending. MIL came on
P0171 system too lean bank 1
P0174 system too lean bank 2

Could this be because I installed VT mufflers? Also I have now the madtuner flash so I will be updating my ECM.
Could the new flash eliminate this? If not the new mufflers what else could cause the DTC. I was driving on the autobahn in Germany.

repnatl
05-30-13, 05:33 AM
Bank one and two lean together I'd suspect the mass air flow sensor

orandaberg
05-30-13, 05:54 AM
So if I get these same DTC in the future, I can pretty much assume the sensor is out? Would I not get a DTC for that?

1BadCadSTS
05-30-13, 08:46 AM
Northstar?

Check the intake manifold bolts. Common problem.

orandaberg
05-30-13, 09:47 AM
Yes Northstar

RippyPartsDept
05-30-13, 10:51 AM
Yeah, loose intake manifold or any other source of extra air (after the Mass Airflow Sensor) will cause both banks lean

orandaberg
05-30-13, 11:55 AM
Whats the N/m for the bolts?
Answer 10 Nm
89 lb in

repnatl
05-30-13, 12:03 PM
There are codes for the mass air but typically I look at that with any dual banks being lean but also they are right the v8 had issues with intake bolts backing out some blue loctite will fix that

orandaberg
05-30-13, 03:11 PM
Anyone know the correct head size for the bolts, I used a 10mm but I think it a special head?

repnatl
05-30-13, 05:19 PM
13mm?

orandaberg
05-30-13, 05:49 PM
no thats too high, its 10 but the head of the bolt is not your typical socket head

orandaberg
06-01-13, 02:17 PM
Anyone know the head bolt pattern? MM or US? I am not at home to try and would just like to know if possible before, so when I get home I can just buy ther tool and not have to remove one then compare. I used a 10 mm and to tighten some loose ones but slips off when trying to torque it dowm to 10N-m so it could be US or a different head pattern.

RippyPartsDept
06-01-13, 02:31 PM
sounds like a service manual would be a really really good investment for you

found a set on ebay for $280 ... i think the new set from the publisher (Helm Inc) costs less than that
check http://www.helminc.com

orandaberg
06-01-13, 02:36 PM
The bolt pattern is not in the manual or the size, just the torque.

RippyPartsDept
06-01-13, 02:39 PM
i find that hard to believe
you have a factory manual?

orandaberg
06-01-13, 02:47 PM
Maybe I am using the wrong word, I do not mean the sequence of tightning. I am refering to the head on the bolt, for example torx head, normal socket head found on any socket set or star shape (for lack of a better term). I'll look again in specifications.

RippyPartsDept
06-01-13, 02:54 PM
yeah i'm not really sure what the bolt-head type is ... it could be torx or inverted torx rather

i'm not really sure

my parts catalog just says bolt, intake 6x1x48

orandaberg
06-01-13, 03:02 PM
Thanks did the same research with the same results, looks like its best just to remove the end bolt(easiest) and match, may as well use a drop(literally) of non aggressive locktite on the threads. But of course if someone knows speak up!

madtuner
06-01-13, 03:03 PM
I usually search by part number because the pattern is often specified in the notes for the part, but it is missing for this bolt unfortunately. I can confirm the factory manual does not list the pattern either.

Part number: 11588352 or 12562321

orandaberg
06-01-13, 03:08 PM
BOLT,INT MANIF(W/SPCR). BOLT-STUD, Intake & Exhaust Manifold. For: E 4.6A(LH2) (2004-2009) (2007 - 2009). Required: 10

madtuner
06-01-13, 03:14 PM
I pulled the cover off mine and it's definitely a metric 10.

repnatl
06-01-13, 03:15 PM
Thanks did the same research with the same results, looks like its best just to remove the end bolt(easiest) and match, may as well use a drop(literally) of non aggressive locktite on the threads. But of course if someone knows speak up!

Light amount of blue loctite I use on all intake bolts cause red they will break coming out.

orandaberg
06-01-13, 04:01 PM
I pulled the cover off mine and it's definitely a metric 10.

OK so maybe mine is slipping because I have to use a socket,knuckle then extension with torque wrench, the only way to get to it because of the above rail them.

Jim_V
06-02-13, 04:47 PM
I had a P0174 turned out to vacuum leak from PCV hoses.

orandaberg
06-02-13, 05:20 PM
If after torque down the head bolts (which aome were loose enough for 3 rounds) I'll kep that in mind if the light comes on again

orandaberg
06-04-13, 10:35 AM
Was tightening the last number 10 in the tightening sequence RR corner DS intake manifold head bolt and it snapped at the threads. I know its going to have to be fixed but..... I have driven all day without any engine light come on or any difference in performance. Is this something that can be lived with as long as all the others are torqued? Until either the light comes on and DTC indicates vacume leak just leave it?

repnatl
06-04-13, 10:42 AM
That a gonna be fun you might be OK for now but it will come on again will need to have it tapped and threaded good luck

madtuner
06-04-13, 10:57 AM
orandaberg, are you sure you're using the correct torque measurements?

89 lb. in. is very little torque. I'm surprised you're snapping bolts and having slipping issues.

orandaberg
06-04-13, 11:18 AM
Hi
Yes I used 10 N-m, could of been at the weakest point already, maybe it had been tighten before from the previous owner, any way it broke at the top of the threads so with luck its sticking out a bit. Does not look like a big job to remove the manifold, its just back to ordering parts again

orandaberg
06-05-13, 02:57 AM
Well the bolts and gaskets are cheap enough but I cannot get around the high cost of shipping, could be I could find the bolts at a local bolt manufacturer, gaskets only GM here but waiting on the price, Looks DIY so saving a lot on that part since I am in Norway now.

CoolATIGuy
06-05-13, 11:49 PM
I got those codes and it turned out it was just the sensor had gotten unplugged from the air filter box/front of the engine area when I had it in for service...plugged it in, reset the codes, and all was well. Check that out..

orandaberg
06-06-13, 01:23 PM
Thanks, but I busted a head bolt #10 on the manifold while torquing down, so I am just going to leave it till the light comes on again or before winter sets in. 24 dollars in gaskets cost me 80 dollars after shipping,then when it gets here I pay 26% tax on the gaskets and another 26% on the shipping for customs fees, and I have not even got the bolts yet, may as well change them all out.

PJ1520
06-07-13, 01:34 AM
It sounds to me like there are few places on Earth more expensive to live than Norway.
PJ

orandaberg
06-07-13, 04:31 AM
Yes it is ranked as the most expensive country to live, a beer is 10.00 dollars and a shot of whiskey is 14.00 dollars mixer is extra! Basic garage labor (non OEM) is 125 dollars and hr, that includes scratching your ass wondering how to take off the part, about 250 dollars and hr OEM labor, the first 250 just to drive it in the garage. Food in the shop is about 50 dollars every 2 days for a single guy. Unleaded is ruffly between 9-10 dollars a gallon. A fill up is close to 200 dollars, which does not last long city driving, which is why I drive a Opel Corsa 1,3 lt. I use the SRX when I travel, or when I feel like paying for parts and repairs. You would not want a SRX like mine in Norway which is a constant battle to up keep, and thats just the exterior parts. Knock on wood nothing has happened engine and drive line, but when it does.. BANG one bullet to the ECM.

orandaberg
06-09-13, 12:03 PM
yeah i'm not really sure what the bolt-head type is ... it could be torx or inverted torx rather

i'm not really sure

my parts catalog just says bolt, intake 6x1x48

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e7/orandaberg/T2eC16N8E9s4l6cBBRb4ziVig60_57_zpsd0671b03.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/orandaberg/media/T2eC16N8E9s4l6cBBRb4ziVig60_57_zpsd0671b03.jpg.htm l)

Do the bolts look like this? I am offshore on the rig,maybe I can get them free, or are they threaded to the foot of the bolt, I know it has a blank shaft from head to thread. AAyone see any on ebay,usually the shipping is cheaper via ebay, I saw some for cadillac as these above are for a 2000 escalade.

orandaberg
06-09-13, 04:09 PM
The question was for anyone to answer not especially RIPPY:)

1BadCadSTS
06-09-13, 04:35 PM
Ill check tonight but as an FYI the intake manifold gaskets are reusable on this intake. No need to replace unless damaged or over torqued.

repnatl
06-09-13, 04:53 PM
Ill check tonight but as an FYI the intake manifold gaskets are reusable on this intake. No need to replace unless damaged or over torqued.

If you do replace them be aware the ones the parts stores sell are paper crap.

glake89
06-09-13, 05:19 PM
SM says use new.

repnatl
06-09-13, 07:18 PM
SM says use new.

Of course they all say that ;) I've had my intakes off at least 4 times been using the same gaskets each time depends on personal preference and if your careful enough not to bend them

orandaberg
06-10-13, 12:33 AM
Problem is my access to parts is limited,so if I did need one it takes a couple weeks to get it. they are cheap enough anyway if you were state side.

----------

[QUOTE=repnatl;3482433]Of course they all say that ;) I've had my intakes off at least 4 times been using the same gaskets each time depends on personal preference and if your careful enough not to bend them[/QUOTE
Since you had yours off 4 times any tips and tricks? Why 4 times?

glake89
06-10-13, 10:58 AM
SM also says you can reuse gasket on V6. Different strokes for different engines.

orandaberg
06-11-13, 03:32 AM
So.... no one knows if the bolts in the above post are the same as the 07 SRX, no one has taken a bolt out before? Too late for me to get some for free since no one knows what they look like, going home today.

orandaberg
06-11-13, 01:47 PM
Got the gaskets today, it was quick only 7 days, they charged me 50 dollars shipping but on the usps box it was 14.00 dollars postage, talk about a mark up! I see they are rubber. However I would not reuse these if the car is 7 years old, apart from the body and interior I would not trust anything to last seven years on the SRX, will go to the bolt shop when I take one out to see f I can get them locally.Anyone see a problem using SS bolts? Every thing I have changed out to now I have replaced with SS screws and bolts.

Jschuch
06-13-13, 02:16 AM
Ok, i hope i am not too late, and i hope i can help. I had the same exact problem and it drove me nuts. I swapped out everything including the Mass airflow sensor. Each time after each fix that darn code came back. Jim V is right, mine was totally a leak in the PCV line. There are two of them on a northstar. A "clean side" and a "dirty side" you can look for schematics on this forum. The clean side is on the air intake to the drivers valve cover. The dirty side is the other one from the passenger valve cover to the back of the engine to the intake manifold (hint this is hard to get to that is why it was my last choice). I tried hose clamps and new hoses on the clean side (since it was easy to get to). No success, same damn codes. Then for the heck of it i tried the dirty side. Here was the issue. Both ends crumbled in my hands and fell completely apart. I guess the dirty side has oils and ultimately degraded the rubber. No doubt this was the huge air leak. As soon as i replace these, the engine ran better (no miss) and the damn codes never came back. I wish you luck, and hope you dont spend as much as i did on a new MAF sensor, etc. Good luck.

orandaberg
06-13-13, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the tip:)