: Preventive Maintenance While Engines Out

blunted
01-23-05, 11:08 PM
I got my car checked out by 3 different people and it seems like i'm going to have to deal with the half case fix. So since the majority of the cost is from getting the engine pulled, what can I do in terms of preventive maintenance to keep my favorite car alive? Any recommendations appreciated.

sts96
01-24-05, 08:52 AM
In my case replaced every soft seal, oring and coolant hose plus both belts idler and tension pully after all they were 81k mile parts. now drive 96 4.6 that is dry and clean under the hood gotta love it. sts96

Night Wolf
01-24-05, 11:51 AM
how many miles on the car?

getting the trans rebuilt... maybe with a shift kit would be some of the best preventative maintenace you can do...

then do a full tune up on the engine

blunted
01-24-05, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, its a 94 Eldorado with 66,350k.

eldorado1
01-24-05, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, its a 94 Eldorado with 66,350k.

In all honesty..... I would probably replace the head gaskets. Seeing how yours is a 94 and all... Knowing my luck, the second the engine went back in would be the time for a gasket to leak. What's the parts cost on that? Like $200 plus timesert kit? (assuming you do it yourself)

BeelzeBob
01-24-05, 10:39 PM
I got my car checked out by 3 different people and it seems like i'm going to have to deal with the half case fix. So since the majority of the cost is from getting the engine pulled, what can I do in terms of preventive maintenance to keep my favorite car alive? Any recommendations appreciated.

Have you had the dye installed in the oil so that the leak source can be positively identified with a black light inspection...??? Most any other diagnosis is guessing unless they completely cleaned the underside of the engine to determine exactly where the leak is coming from.

I still maintain that a case half leak rarely drips and causes the problems you are describing. I would replace the oil filter adapter seals and the oil cooler line seals and retorque the oil pan and LCC bolts before pulling the engine for the case half issue. I just find it hard to believe that the amount of oil that can seep from the LCC split line can be causing the problems you describe.

blunted
01-25-05, 03:33 AM
Bbob, I REALLY hate to believe it as well, I have repeated all your recommendations to all mechanics as if it were written in stone but it still seems to be heading this way...although I must add some things you mentioned were correct and indeed contributing to the leak. With this third and most recent mechanic (non cadillac), I was looking under the car with him and he looked at the oil filter adapter that was supposedly broken according to the dealer, and the spring they were talking about seemed to be fine and working when you pushed it. So he proceeded to replace all the o-rings for the adapter since some appeared to be swollen and at the same time noticed a loose bolt by the pan and tightened that up as well. Everything was put back and wiped and I drove it home, when I got there I parked and let it sit... a few hours later I start it and the leak continues, not as bad but very bad none the less (still smoke when driving). I go back and everything he worked on was no longer leaking when we looked at it but then we were looking at the were the case connects and you can see all the oil coming out from different areas on the sides. You can see the upper portion of the block is dry but its where it meets the lower half, that your getting the oozing oil. From there its leaking down and getting on the exhaust pipe which is making my smoke. I'm gonna go back for the dye at one of the dealers, even though i'm leary about it after the horrible experiences i've been going through with all of them.

blunted
01-25-05, 03:56 AM
Eldorado, I would ideally like to do the head gaskets if it was already out but since its something I'm not doing personally, I wonder how much the extra labor would be on that. However, not having to worry about it in the future would almost be worth whatever the price tag would be.... BUT then again if its not broken why start messing with it.

outlaw1369
01-25-05, 02:11 PM
I just had the timeserts installed. 6hrs labor @ 65$hr (this was after the engine was out of the car). I did however need the bigsert kit as the repair was done once previously. This may have caused a slightly inflated price due to the fact that the shop had to purchase the bigsert installation kit (they only had done the regular timeserts before). Head gasket kit (includes bolts) 245$ - seemed a little high I could have purchased it myself cheaper. Bigserts 60$ for all 20 and new head dowles 10$