: Sirius Vs. XM Radio

So Cal Caddyman
01-23-05, 10:35 PM
For high end vehicles (CTS & STS), I find it crazy the only satellite radio option is XM. Has anyone heard if future models, 06?'s, will offer both versions of sat radio? For my opinion, Sirius is far superior to XM. Still in the comparison mode of new car searching, and this silly little radio issue is driving me crazy.

CaddyGuido
01-23-05, 11:31 PM
I know more than a few big shots over at Sirius and I am trying to find out if there is a way to change over. I have a CTS with the built in Nav so its a pain to just add Sirius. I will keep you posted.

odysseus
01-24-05, 02:16 PM
One can add a sirius tuner very easily and inexpensively. Now if one wants a factory install that tunes through the head unit (i.e., the Nav) you'll be waiting a while. GM is a major shareholder in XM.

otherguy41
01-24-05, 09:39 PM
sirius is much better! the only thing is that xm has is more advertising and they have been around for a year longer.

btw, sirius stock is a great buy right now. its at 6 bucks and has already made me a lot of money. i think it will go up to 20 in the next 2 years. but that is just my opinion

DANK
01-25-05, 07:48 PM
Sirius cuts out alot more than xm I have both
xm is alot more solid as far as reception
Any bodys thoughts

bladehack
01-25-05, 09:18 PM
Can anyone educate me on why Sirius is better than XM? More stations? Better stations? I love the fact that Ford will offer Sirius in all vehicles next year...competition is good for everybody.

CaddyGuido
01-26-05, 03:17 AM
Well for 1 thing Sirius will have Howard Stern come January next year. And the stock is a REALLY good buy.

pulsch
01-26-05, 06:01 AM
Both services offer ad free music, music/other with ads, 120 channels or more, good coverage almost anywhere in the US. XMRadio has more than 2 million customers, Sirius 800,000. XMRadio costs $10/mo. Sirius $13/mo.
Check out more info at http://www.pcworld.com/digitalworld/article/0,aid,117881,findid,45806,00.asp
or find.pcworld.com/45806

airbalancer
01-26-05, 07:25 AM
Well for 1 thing Sirius will have Howard Stern come January next year. And the stock is a REALLY good buy.
And how is have Stern on a good thing?

RobertCTS
01-26-05, 09:18 AM
And how is have Stern on a good thing?

I hate Stern! I'm glad he's off the air.:annoyed: Powell did a good job of running him off with heavy fines for tasteless progamming.

As to which satellite radio is best keep in mind XM is A LOT bigger than Sirius. They have deep pocket$ and a lot for R&D.

odysseus
01-26-05, 10:31 AM
On coverage and availablity, they use very different spacecraft and orbits to get the job done. Sirius uses three spacecraft in highly inclined eliptical orbits. (GPS does something similar with 24 spacecraft in highly eliptical 12 hour orbits.) From an orbital mechanics viewpoint, they are only in visible range of North America so that each spacecraft is in visible range about 12 hours of each 24 hour orbit. When one spacecraft goes below the horizon, the next is overhead. I'm fairly sure that they only broadcast for the 12 hours that they're over North America, since the transmit stations wouldn't be in range any other time.

XM, on the other hand, uses two spacecraft in traditional geostationary orbits. One parked over the West coast, and the other over the East coast. That's a 24 hour orbit on the equator. Each satellite appears fixed in space, overhead North America, since each rotates around the Earth at the same rate the Earth is rotating.

In general, three spacecraft and lauches (sirius) cost more than two (XM), all else being equal. Since they both are certainly designed for 10+ year life, and geo-class spacecraft, they're not cheap. My guess would be something in the neighborhood of $500 Million each, including launch. You need a lot of subscribers and many years to break even.

Can you guess what I do for a living? LOL

What they broadcast is a totally different story. Personally, I can't take listening to Howard Stern. I prefer pure music when I listen to the radio.

NYCTS
01-26-05, 11:15 AM
I hate Stern! I'm glad he's off the air.:annoyed: Powell did a good job of running him off with heavy fines for tasteless progamming.

As to which satellite radio is best keep in mind XM is A LOT bigger than Sirius. They have deep pocket$ and a lot for R&D.

I like Stern. This is America and if we don't fight for the right to be tasteless what are we really doing.

But seriously, I am not a fan of censorship on any level and you have to really look at the broader scope of decisions F.C.C was/is making. For example there was a show Oprah did where the topic was sex. Graphic (verbal)descriptions of sexual acts were discussed on T.V- NOT a peep from the F.C.C.

Similar situation with Superbowl/ Janet incident. You have a violent sport with ads that are filled with sexual content. But national outcry over a nipple????

People are dying in the world- Wars, Natural Disasters, Starvation...I just think our resources and energies can be better focused.

When we start counting on the goverment to make decisions on what we see, read or hear on the radio...THAT IS NOT A GOOD MOVE.

BACK TO TOPIC- XM vs. Sirius...

Caddy's come with XM so that is what I like...lol

but really I think satellite radio will become more and more like cable tv where soon you can select specific channels as part of your package. Maybe some one like Howard Stern can pull that type of deal off, where his show can appear on both systems.

odysseus
01-26-05, 11:40 AM
The main reason why you wont find both XM and Sirius in the same car from the factory any time soon, is that in order to get started, each has signed up specific partners. Namely, XM has GM, Honda, Toyota, and Nissan. Sirius has allied itself with Ford/Licoln, DiamlerChrysler (Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Mercedes, etc), Jaguar, Land Rover, Audi, and BMW/mini.

The aftermarket is ahead of the game. For head unit manufacturers, both XM and Sirius have themselves with many of the same manufacturers, including Delphi (GMs OEM). Some (Alpine) actually have circuitry to control both in the same head-unit.

RobertCTS
01-26-05, 11:42 AM
XM has got the same kind of trash as Stern. It's called Opie & Anthony. Like Stern they received a lot of heat from Powell and the FCC. I hear what your saying about free speech and infringing on our rights and to a degree I agree. But there's a lot of idiots out there that need to be managed. Like the lies:lies: used in the Dan Rather report. IMO it's not right to just set on your hands and do nothing. We all have opinions on what right and wrong. Look in your NY yellow Pages under Churches. A gazillion of them and they all think they are right.

Aurora5000
01-27-05, 08:28 AM
I hear that Sirius is in talks with XM about a merger....

:canttalk:

odysseus
01-27-05, 09:38 AM
I haven't heard that, but I have heard aftermarket manufacturers merging toward a single tuner that does both in the future. Unfortunately, the actual corporations and the broadcasted programming would be easy to merge, but the satellites (most expensive assets) are already on orbit. Their antenna designs are not going to change, so the frequencies and encoding will remain the same. Theoretically, once could build an antenna package that would receive both, and a tuner that would be smart enough to tune both (like AM and FM).

I'm not sure why they would merge, since they are two very different (expensive) systems, which both do the same thing. I would think a buyout of programming, with the other company closing shop would be more likely. They both have a long way to go to 'break even' on their initial investments.

XM is a much more efficient system of spacecraft (two broadcasting 24/7). Sirius has three spacecraft, each only broadcasting 12 of 24 hours each day.

gmoss
01-27-05, 10:13 AM
I would like to hear Sirius, I head some of the music channels are better.
I find myself always channel surfing on my XM, I can never find the the right song and certainly cant stay on one station for more then 2 songs.

I also think there is a problem with my XM, when the volume is at med to high there are high freq bleeps and beeps constantly on all XM stations not on FM, or on CD. Is this something I should get checked out? anyone else here this? My wife has XM in her car but its not the bose nor the same type of radio.

Stag
01-27-05, 12:09 PM
Opie and Anthony are funny as hell.

Here in NY they used to do WOW - whip 'em out Wednesdays.

The idea was if you had a WOW sticker on yor car, women were supposed to flash you...let me tell you...the summer of 2001 and 2002 I saw a lot of things being whipped out, mostly good, some bad ...my god... what a great promotion.

As a single guy, anytime some women feels the urge to lift her top and show me what the good lord (or her plastic surgeon) gave her, who am I to say no??

RobertCTS
01-27-05, 12:59 PM
Stag! I imagine you also listen to Howard Stern:tisk: I love this forum. you really get to know people:D I have secrets you know:greendude :devillaug

TRASHAULER
01-27-05, 01:10 PM
Here is the latest on the merger rumer

http://me-mag.com/t_news_pick.cfm?sid=3486

I sell both, the music seems alittle better on Sirius but like anything else I find myself channel surfing! If you want MLB & Nascar go with XM, if you prefer NFL & Stern check out Sirius. I do have XM in everything own though!

www.tintmyride.com (http://www.tintmyride.com)

kybanker
01-28-05, 11:42 PM
I have had both and there in no doubt in my mind that Sirius is the better of the two. I love the 80's station with all the old MTV vj's. I have an '03 escalade with the navigation stereo that was xm ready. I was able to get an adaptor that allows me to get Sirius all while using the factory controls. It even gives me the name and artist right there on the screen.

JoeKr
01-29-05, 09:29 AM
I use my vehicle for business. I subscribed to XM for the following reasons:
1) No station surfing when going from one geographic area to another.
2) The music I want to hear is available in the hinterlands.
3) No ads (or at least a minimum)
4) I enjoy the comedy channels alot
5) Continuous traffic for my area

Please excuse my ignorance on the differences. I would guess the same music library is available to both. The programming for non-music issues would be the primary difference. For my needs (see above) either would fit the bill.

Issue:
What I don't like is the volume level is significantly lower than the CD or broadcast radio. I am curious why that is the case. I suppose the signal strength going into the preamp or there is a separate preamp for XM. I just don't get it why it can be soo much softer.

Dead Sled
01-30-05, 05:24 PM
Sirius for music and XM for talk radio

XMs music stations are all the same you have 14 stations of "rock" with all the same style programing.

you can be listing to green day and have Van Halen after it or Eurithmics after poison

where as Sirius the stations are better broken down to the type of rock and stay in that area

pure hard rock
clasic hard rock
recent rock
early rock
deep cuts rock
Alt rock
hair bands
Heavy metal

Elvis
02-01-05, 11:33 AM
They'll merge. Remember when DirecTV first came out? There were several companies involved, and you had to pay two bills, one for DirecTV and the other for USSB. Eventually it all came together, just like satellite radio will.

I also believe that they will have to offer a lot more features or else lower their prices. I understand that they will be offering television feeds before too long.

rubberbandman
02-01-05, 12:47 PM
Here is the latest on the merger rumer

http://me-mag.com/t_news_pick.cfm?sid=3486

I sell both, the music seems alittle better on Sirius but like anything else I find myself channel surfing! If you want MLB & Nascar go with XM, if you prefer NFL & Stern check out Sirius. I do have XM in everything own though!

www.tintmyride.com (http://www.tintmyride.com)

I have xm thru my alpine unit in my 95 deville.

Hey I went to your site what kind of deals can you set me up with 2 monitor headrest combo?