: Locked my keys in the trunk. Is this supposed to happen the way it's designed?

Mr. LCP
05-29-13, 10:44 PM
My keys were in my golf bag. I took the bag off the cart and set it down right next to the trunk, then reached for the trunk, opened it with my hand and threw the bag in and closed the trunk and got back in the cart to go have a beer inside. Then I realized my keys, wallet, etc. were still inside the golf bag. But the trunk was locked and wasn't going to open. At least I was only playing a short ways from home so getting keys and coming back wasn't a big deal, but still this situation kind of sucked and could easily be repeated, even though it seemed pretty out of character for me.

thebigjimsho
05-29-13, 10:45 PM
OnStar.

neuronbob
05-29-13, 11:49 PM
OnStar.

Yeah, that. It's a good reason to re-up every year.

1997BlackETC
05-30-13, 12:05 AM
Either onstar or locksmith if you got no second keys. I've thought about that with my new VW how screwed I'd be if I locked my keys in a bag in the hatch without the option of onstar. I'm really careful.

Trapspeed
05-30-13, 07:20 AM
I'm surprised that given the proximity of the fob in the bag which was in the trunk that it wouldn't allow it to open again. Must be a finicky setup.

Zhariak
05-30-13, 07:49 AM
I'm surprised that given the proximity of the fob in the bag which was in the trunk that it wouldn't allow it to open again. Must be a finicky setup.

Probably a dying battery...

The vehicle should have honked 3 times when the fOB was left in the car... It should have remained unlocked for atleast a little while.

OldRoadDawg
05-30-13, 07:51 AM
This... or you have a lead shielded golf bag. I tried duplicating what you did, however the trunk and doors opened every time.
Battery in the fob failing?

flyingv
05-30-13, 11:47 AM
I've done the same thing. I just keep trying to open the trunk and eventually it opened. I did try to rock the car back and forth. Really stupid design IMHO. If the fob is within 3 feet of the car, everything should work, including the key on.

Mr. LCP
05-30-13, 02:10 PM
Probably a dying battery...

The vehicle should have honked 3 times when the fOB was left in the car... It should have remained unlocked for atleast a little while.

It still does that if I leave it in the cabin after turning the car off. This is a different situation though since I was returning to a previously locked car and there is no lock to consciously activate after closing the trunk. By my estimate the key would have been in the middle to the front part of the trunk with the bag being diagonal. Maybe I'll experiment with it in closer proximity to the rear of the trunk.

cdog533
05-30-13, 02:32 PM
No offense to the OP.... But has technology made us this brain-dead? Ever since I've been around cars, I was careful to NEVER put the keys in the trunk because when you slammed it, it locked and you were stuck. In my opinion, this is kind of like slamming a piano lid on your wang and then wondering why it hurts.

pat2t2f
05-30-13, 02:34 PM
One more reason to get the wagon

DiamondWhtV
05-30-13, 05:04 PM
Interesting....never locked the fob in the trunk, but I do know that you have to be pretty close to the doors to get them to open. If I am at the trunk, the passenger or driver door won't open...trunk on the other hand will.

thebigjimsho
05-30-13, 08:01 PM
No offense to the OP.... But has technology made us this brain-dead? Ever since I've been around cars, I was careful to NEVER put the keys in the trunk because when you slammed it, it locked and you were stuck. In my opinion, this is kind of like slamming a piano lid on your wang and then wondering why it hurts.

How can you not lulz?

Mr. LCP
05-30-13, 10:29 PM
In the old days I couldn't have opened the trunk without using the key, either by pushing a button in my hand or putting the key into an external lock. Mind you the key was in a bag on the ground next to the bumper. It could have just as easily been in my pocket and all would have been fine. If my golf bag would have been another foot or two away from the bumper it probably wouldn't have opened, and I would have gotten my keys out of the bag.

rekctsv
05-31-13, 01:05 AM
Either onstar or locksmith if you got no second keys. I've thought about that with my new VW how screwed I'd be if I locked my keys in a bag in the hatch without the option of onstar. I'm really careful.
Don't forget Cadillac Roadside Assistance.

VMoose
06-02-13, 12:34 AM
RemoteLink OnStar app for your smartphone, and remote unlock it without having to call OnStar.

Trapspeed
06-02-13, 08:39 AM
RemoteLink OnStar app for your smartphone, and remote unlock it without having to call OnStar.

He's got an '09. No go on that one.

RobF300
06-03-13, 01:20 PM
wife did this with her 4 month old lexus back in the day so its not GM specific

she rested the keys on the trunk floor while loading the car and closed the trunk

RGaret
06-03-13, 02:20 PM
I did this with my BMW. Trunk opened back up automatically. Neat trick

RobF300
06-03-13, 02:22 PM
I did this with my BMW. Trunk opened back up automatically. Neat trick

later on life the module that controls that will go bad rendering the trunk useless.
It will require replacing that module which also controls the headlights so you have to change it- and its cheap @ $3200.
Labor is simple- they mount it under the intake manifold but the trick is its actually PART of the manifold so you have to change the manifold too and that costs $2800, so $5000 in parts and only $3200 in labor later your trunk will open again

Mr. LCP
06-03-13, 09:20 PM
later on life the module that controls that will go bad rendering the trunk useless.
It will require replacing that module which also controls the headlights so you have to change it- and its cheap @ $3200.
Labor is simple- they mount it under the intake manifold but the trick is its actually PART of the manifold so you have to change the manifold too and that costs $2800, so $5000 in parts and only $3200 in labor later your trunk will open again

Little things like this are why I didn't get another German car.

khoeysr
06-04-13, 09:14 AM
I just did this the other day. Laid the fob down in the trunk while I was loading some stuff, closed it down without thinking.

Fortunately, I am an Onstar subscriber and use the smart phone app. Had the trunk open in a couple of minutes. Saved me a lot of aggravation.

Mr. LCP
06-04-13, 02:21 PM
I just did this the other day. Laid the fob down in the trunk while I was loading some stuff, closed it down without thinking.

Fortunately, I am an Onstar subscriber and use the smart phone app. Had the trunk open in a couple of minutes. Saved me a lot of aggravation.

That's the old school way of doing it. I never set keys down in the trunk as a proactive habit.

DiamondWhtV
06-04-13, 05:59 PM

Sorry for the dumb question...but why wasn't the fob in your pocket. I keep the fob in my pocket and never take it out. Just curious.