: Need help.Transmission and cooling problems

cateradriver
01-23-05, 09:27 PM
I have a 1997 Cadillac Catera and from time to time, my "check transmission" light comes on when I start the car.When I push on the gas pedal the car has trouble taking off,it seems to start on a higher gear.
I also have my coolant light go on in the dash for about 5 minutes when I start the car.
I went to the dealer and they told me that for my transmission I have to replace what they call a neutral switch.And for the coolant the say that I have to change what they call the prestone bridge,and might have to change the engine oil cooler.
(the reason why I say "what they call" is because I am trying to look for the parts and nobody seams to know what i'm talking about)
What I want to try to do is find these parts cheaper and install them myself because the dealer is asking $2000 for parts and labor.
Now i'm waiting for parts and info,pictures,diagrams and any other details that could help me out in order to do this myself.
So if anybody has anything,please let me know. Thanks

cadillactech
01-23-05, 10:15 PM
The bridge they are talking about is at the rear of the engine, and has to be removed to replace the oil cooler. Never heard of one being replaced, but the seals for it are kind of pricey.

chregan
01-26-05, 01:56 AM
Is that the same as the coolant cross-over pipe? I've heard of that but never a "prestone bridge".

Vesicant
01-26-05, 07:59 PM
ya got me on the "prestone" bridge... you might have misheard them and heard the brand of a coolant.

Transmission: Might be the torque converter slipping..

cadillactech
01-26-05, 08:33 PM
I have never really heard them called that but it's the only thing that really came to mind.

cateradriver
01-26-05, 10:21 PM
That's what the dealer called it, but i guess coolant cross-over pipe makes sense.

I bought my neutral switch yesterday and should receive it sometime next week.I still have to find parts for the cooling problem.I tried alot of places but no one carries this stuff seems like i have to go to the dealer for the cross over.

chregan
01-27-05, 12:18 AM
I'm looking at the service manual right now. It calls it an "engine coolant bridge." There are 4 seals on the bolts that attach it to the block. I'd imagine that they might be leaking instead of the bridge itself.
Personally, I'm skeptical that a hunk of metal with two temperature sensors would cause the coolant light to come on for 5 minutes. I'd be more inclined to change the coolant level sensor.
The light is controlled by that sensor so i don't understand how the bridge or cooler is turning it on. It doesn't measure pressure. I assume you have enough coolant, right?

cateradriver
01-30-05, 04:18 PM
The coolant level was low.I just filled it up and will pay attention to it for the next couple of days.