: ATs 3.6 = 335i What do you think about this...?

ATScape
05-29-13, 10:12 PM
In every mag test the 335i dominates the 3.6 ATS in straight line performance but watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhBdohZa6oM

Now either:
1. This 335i has been beat on and lost some performance
2. The comparison cars provided by BMW are tweaked
3. This race is sandbagged
4. Cadillac has squeezed some more juice out of newer production runs

What do you guys think?

blue_skies
05-29-13, 11:07 PM
2008 335i vs 2013 ATS 3.6L?

Stevo Supremo
05-29-13, 11:14 PM
aha that was awesome!!

he did say that he buggered a shift though, but on paper these cars should be pretty even, do I think journalists/BMW aren't being 100% truthful? maybe

he did say that he buggered a shift though, but even before that the ATS was still pulling well on the BMW

SLA
05-29-13, 11:24 PM
Every 335i I've ever driven would lead me to believe the 3.6 is no match in a drag race.

ATScape
05-30-13, 12:01 AM
Every 335i I've ever driven would lead me to believe the 3.6 is no match in a drag race.

That's why I'm asking. I've driven my cousins 335i coupe and my friends g37s, the 335 is faster but from comparo tests both are faster than the caddy. I haven't driven the ATS 3.6 so what's going on with this vid?

----------

aha that was awesome!!

he did say that he buggered a shift though, but on paper these cars should be pretty even, do I think journalists/BMW aren't being 100% truthful? maybe

he did say that he buggered a shift though, but even before that the ATS was still pulling well on the BMW

On paper yes, but everyone knows those sneaky Germans are lying about how many ponies they are putting out. All the tests have the bmw almost a full second ahead in accel (even in top gear passing). The vid states at the end that the bmw pulled ahead slightly in subsequent runs and was bogged down for a sec in the first run, but still not enough difference to display the almost 1 sec advantage in I don't believe....

blue_skies
05-30-13, 12:30 AM
That's why I'm asking. I've driven my cousins 335i coupe and my friends g37s, the 335 is faster but from comparo tests both are faster than the caddy. I haven't driven the ATS 3.6 so what's going on with this vid?

Maybe the video shows driver's hesitation on the BMW side? Or the ATS launched early?

With the ATS 3.6L it is fairly easy to get a good run - just floor the pedal, the rest happens by itself.

Standing and running starts require a certain technique - not very typical of how you launch a car in the street.

I have tested the ATS 3.6L with my neighbor and a GPS unit, and we were getting very consistent 5.6-5.7 sec runs to 60 mph. Given two people in the car, and no launch control, I'd consider that very good. (We did not use the C&D method.)

On the streets, I have not seen G37's that are faster, but on paper they should launch a tad faster - however, their 1/4 mile time is almost identical though.

As to BMW 335i - they are much faster (1 sec) up to 60 mph, but their 1/4 miles are not dramatically different. And this showed up in some reports as to "track handling" - they are not significantly different at speed.

I figure that similar power to weight ratios means similar performance, especially when not accelerating from standstill.

To put things in perspective - I have been blown away (on the street) by cars such as the Porsche 911, Nissan GT-R - these run 0 to 60 mph in under 4 sec, and 1/4 miles in under 12 - big difference.

But other than these significantly faster cars, I seldom see drivers pushing their acceleration on the street.

I would argue that the difference between 335i and ATS 3.6L is a mere matter of semantics, and that in street driving they are actually fairly similar to each other.

just to add, my Boxster is actually slower than the ATS, off the line, but in the twisties there is no way that you could keep up.

SLA
05-30-13, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=ATScape;3405025]That's why I'm asking. I've driven my cousins 335i coupe and my friends g37s, the 335 is faster but from comparo tests both are faster than the caddy. I haven't driven the ATS 3.6 so what's going on with this vid?[COLOR="Silver"]

There could be many reasons from mechanical to driver error. When I go from a roll in my LGT, I always brake boost. It takes away the advantage of a NA engine.

The G37 is a pig. I'd take an ATS 2.0 or 3.6 over it any day of the week.

M5eater
05-30-13, 12:31 PM
In every mag test the 335i dominates the 3.6 ATS in straight line performance but watch this:
they also say, in every magazine, that the reason is because the Cadillac needs an extra gear pull to hit 60, and that by the time they hit the 1/4 it's typically down to .3-.5 seconds of margin.

Considering the 335i is an n54 possibly with some carbon buildup, and has the shifting disadvantage, I don't need to even watch the video to know it was probably a close race.

Stevo Supremo
05-30-13, 12:51 PM
they also say, in every magazine, that the reason is because the Cadillac needs an extra gear pull to hit 60, and that by the time they hit the 1/4 it's typically down to .3-.5 seconds of margin.

Considering the 335i is an n54 possibly with some carbon buildup, and has the shifting disadvantage, I don't need to even watch the video to know it was probably a close race.

haha you're right lol, it was damn close

ATScape
05-30-13, 02:28 PM

Well that was the manual equipped 4 cylinders. The 335i still has about 6/10's in the 1/4 mile and about 3 mph trap advantage.

M5eater
05-30-13, 02:30 PM
Well that was the manual equipped 4 cylinders. The 335i still has about 6/10's in the 1/4 mile and about 3 mph trap advantage.

The F30 335i's also have 8 speed automatics. The ATS does not.

Neither does this 335i, which is neither the same model, or even the same engine. It's a 5 year old car.

There can be no direct comparsions here.

ATScape
05-30-13, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=ATScape;3405025]That's why I'm asking. I've driven my cousins 335i coupe and my friends g37s, the 335 is faster but from comparo tests both are faster than the caddy. I haven't driven the ATS 3.6 so what's going on with this vid?[COLOR="Silver"]

There could be many reasons from mechanical to driver error. When I go from a roll in my LGT, I always brake boost. It takes away the advantage of a NA engine.

The G37 is a pig. I'd take an ATS 2.0 or 3.6 over it any day of the week.

I would take the ATS also no doubt. However the g37s does ride like a pig bur its pretty quick in a straight line. We have done multiple races and the BMW does pull away but not by much. Both coupes, both manual and both stock.

pragmatic
05-30-13, 07:12 PM
The 335 drivers is not pushing it.
It takes him 10 seconds to shift into third (from just before 14 secs in the video until around 24 seconds). Car and Driver lists the speed at red line in 2nd for a 2012 335i as 70 mph which is reached in 7.4 seconds (data for a 2008 coupe lists top speed in 2nd as 68 mph). It also does not sound as though he is at 7000 rpms on the upshifts. The 335d does not comes wih a manual transmission.

ATScape
05-30-13, 08:04 PM
The F30 335i's also have 8 speed automatics. The ATS does not.

Neither does this 335i, which is neither the same model, or even the same engine. It's a 5 year old car.

There can be no direct comparsions here.

The 2008 specs are the same for the manual 335i up till 2011, and in this video it's a manual not an auto. While not a new to new comparo, we know what the '08 6 speed 335i specs and what it achieved performance wise as well as the 2013 ATS's. Therefore we can compare stats and expect the Beemer to be quicker. So why is there no direct comparison?