: 72 Deville help

72DeVilleCT
05-29-13, 07:44 PM
I have a 72 deville that I put a new edelbrock carb on because the Rochester had a lot of problems and I got the edelbrock cheaply (but not used). I had to put two 1 inch spacers in to get clearance but everything is tight, the correct 4 bbl pattern and all. I hooked everything up, (the vacuum hoses were everywhere and only 1/2 hooked up before but it ran and drove) including a hose that is under the a/c compressor I didn't notice. The car runs great, throttle is much more responsive, idle is steadier, but now the car barely shifts from 1st. I have to rev it up way beyond the shift points, and then it shifts very hard.

Where do I look to find the cause of the problem?

77CDV
06-01-13, 06:36 PM
I believe the shift solenoid on this car is vacuum controlled. One of those disconnected hoses needs to get reconnected. That should solve your problem.

72DeVilleCT
06-01-13, 08:09 PM
My actual problem is myself. I found the tyranny vacuum hose, it had fallen behind the engine. Guess what...when you do things right they work!

All set, drove a good part of the day and got an unsolicited offer for the car at the gas station.

Cadillac'n and life is good.

77CDV
06-02-13, 05:57 PM
Glad you got it sorted out! :)