: Northeast Snow

JOEYCTS-V
01-23-05, 10:51 AM
Anyone else going through V withdrawal? There has been a lot of salt on the roads in the past few weeks from the smaller storms we had and now with this blizzard it looks like it's gonna be in the garage even longer. It's been sitting in the garage for over 3 weeks DIRTY. :nono:

01-23-05, 11:03 AM
mid-atlantic just got the first salting on wednesday, and in Northern VA we got a whopping 3 inches yesterday.

Roads are passable today even with the F1's (I would guess, since there is mostly just wet blacktop), but sadly the V will rest for a while till we get some rain to wash away the salt and sand. How much did Bayside get? (I lived on 53rd ave and 214th st for a while....went to PS 31 and IS 74.....but we are talking the Nixon/Ford presidencies)

Doug

GTS21
01-23-05, 01:55 PM
Even worse, my V is outside the garage buried in a foot of snow (the Viper gets the garage) :crying2:

steve711
01-23-05, 02:11 PM
Major withdrawal!.
My V has been parked in my storage for close to 6!!! weeks.
Here in the Ohio valley wev been hit with nothing but snow then rain/ice mix then more snow & more rain/ice.So much so that there is many townships & areas that are badly flooded.Whew! ive been despising this weather & missing my V for a while now!

V-Max
01-23-05, 03:38 PM
We recieved about 15" over the last two days. I did get a chance to wring the V out Thursday before last when it was 69F on the way to Detroit and back. Otherwise it will be sitting for a few more weeks before mine comes out again. :)

Norm

ahahnu
01-23-05, 04:37 PM
I had to work yesterday in NYC. Then the train broke down and I didn't get to mine until 5:30 with more then four inches on the ground. I loved the way she fish tailed all over. Made it home awhile later. Had to go sideways into the garage. Can you say performance tires and snow = match made in heaven.

slk230mb
01-23-05, 08:06 PM
Here is Binghamton for you.

BowenCT
01-23-05, 08:08 PM
My V has been parked since Nov. 7th. Fortunately she's detailed and under the Noah, still painful nonetheless. My body aches for mid-April.

01-23-05, 08:54 PM
My V has been parked since Nov. 7th. Fortunately she's detailed and under the Noah, still painful nonetheless. My body aches for mid-April.

I was wondering why you were considering selling. When you don't get to enjoy the toys it's easy to forget why you got them in the first place. When I lived in Mass I would park my Mustang GT for the winter, and would come close to selling it every year......

dhg

Jon
01-23-05, 09:04 PM
We have a lil over a foot of snow here, and they didnt plow the streets. I'm driving my 3.6L through it, with factory tires.... It's scary as hell, I couldn't imagine doing it with a V.

BowenCT
01-23-05, 09:57 PM
I was wondering why you were considering selling. When you don't get to enjoy the toys it's easy to forget why you got them in the first place. When I lived in Mass I would park my Mustang GT for the winter, and would come close to selling it every year......

dhg

Doug, you are totally right. The same thing happens to me in late-September when I put the boat away, I entertain selling it. Come May, I look back and think I must have been going through a mild bout of insanity. Thanks for the head check.

dkozloski
01-23-05, 10:30 PM
I can't believe you whimps. What the heck would you do if you ever saw a real winter? No wonder you all looked so helpless in that movie " The Day After Tomorrow". I'll bet you guys would crap in your own pants before you'd go to the outhouse.

01-23-05, 10:41 PM
I can't believe you whimps. What the heck would you do if you ever saw a real winter? No wonder you all looked so helpless in that movie " The Day After Tomorrow". I'll bet you guys would crap in your own pants before you'd go to the outhouse.

???

2004ctsv
01-23-05, 10:50 PM

Down in the lower 48, we're a little more modern and don't have outhouses anymore.
I though the gov't dumped enough cash up there so that you could afford to sh*t inside. If you get a chance, try it, you'll never go back to the outhouse.

BTW, you won't need the old Sears catalog either.

Tony

Sorry, I don't mean it. I just shut the TV off before I put my foot through it. Damned Brady is amazing.

dkozloski
01-23-05, 10:56 PM
It's no wonder the Europeans think we're crazy. You guys cook out in the back yard and poop in the house. Anyway congratulations to the Boston Patriots. Babe Parelli would be proud of you.

thebigjimsho
01-24-05, 06:15 PM
dkozloski, there's something that Alaska does to you. My mother spent some time in Alaska and she's starting to sound as crazy as you. Actually, my parents met on a blind date in Alaska. My father has been crazy for years. I thought he was just senile, maybe it's the Alaska air. j/k....I'm actually starting to plan a 2-3 week trip to Alaska sometime next year.

As for Fairbanks, Boston has had a tougher past 48 hours, that's for sure. It's fun, though. Where I am, we got about 30" of snow. I know closer to the coast got more and the winds were hitting 75mph. I got a hold of said crazy father's Forester XT(with snows, FUN!) and went out in the middle of the blizzard. That thing will go through any snowdrift up to 5 feet. But the winds were so bad, we couldn't see more than a few feet. And with no lights along much of the coast, we had to turn back and go inland. I have to be honest, driving a Forester XT in a raging blizzard is as much fun as hitting 164 in the V.

I'll try to upload some pics of the house with snow. Good stuff.

dkozloski
01-24-05, 06:28 PM
BigJim, You're right about your recent weather. The difference is that the snow we get in Ocober is around until April or May. It just keeps piling up like working in the horse barn. We've got another four months of this stuff to go. Also, after you freeze your brain a couple of times you start to act a little peculiar.

01-24-05, 06:50 PM
naahh. You guys had it easy this weekend. We had 3 HUGE inches of snow on Saturday, and it took almost 10 whole minutes to clear my driveway. Then, to make it worse, it was sunny sunday so the wife and kids went to go play in the snow in the afternoon, leaving me all alone in the house.

That meant that during almost the ENTIRE Philly/Atlanta game, I HAD TO GET UP OFF THE COUCH, GO INTO THE KITCHEN, and GET MY OWN G*DDAMN BEER!!!
Oh the misery and unfairness of it all......

d

Vdrenaline
01-24-05, 11:26 PM
I put Dunlop Wintersport M3 runflats on my V and had my first real taste of snow last wednesday in Connecticut. We had about 5 inches of snow and I went out to test the tire's performance. I went to 3 steep hills and stopped at the worst point and was able to start in first gear with traction control on with no problems whatsoever.
With that good result, I drove 200 miles north on Friday to Lake George, NY to do some skiing. It ended up being too cold to ski (-11 before windchill) but we got a really bad (or good :-) ) snowstorm Saturday night with about 10 inches total. I decided to drive around in the worst of the storm on a road that had 4 inches of snow to test the tires in severe conditions. They didn't do well at all. At 25 mph, I could control the car with no problem but at 30-35 mph, the car was a real handful. I tried to drive in 4th gear to minimize the effect of 400 lb/ feet of torque but the car was trying to go sideways a lot and the traction contol and stability systems were so overtaxed that I got a message on the nav screen telling me to service the stability control system. That was after driving for less than 10 minutes. My opinion is that the tires are great but that the width of the V's tires are what make it so dangerous in such conditions. I was hoping the Dunlops would allow me to take it north to go skiing into a big snowstorm on semi-plowed highways but my experience during this snowstorm has changed my mind. I need an SUV for skiing. I would not recommend driving the V into a storm, no matter what tires you have. The tires are simply too wide to provide adequate grip. They are great at low speeds but at anything over 35 mph, they are just not safe in heavy snow. I will be getting an Escalade or GMC Yukon as a second car.

chuckdobbins
01-25-05, 02:28 AM
just under 3 feet of snow in south shore MA. even my FWD caddy was having a hard time keeping it together. and trying to stop it...forget about it!

i do agree, that brady is amazing. :bouncy:

Harley Guy
01-25-05, 01:14 PM
The V is in stored.... the Harley is stored....The Steelers got whipped.....Cold and snowy here in Pittsburgh.....Can the end of the world be far behind. Nothing left but to drink away my sorrows.:drinker

sreilly
01-25-05, 02:54 PM
we got about 15 inches in the philadelphia region, and i live in an area with hills and the roads are rarely plowed, and my 92 deville did fantastic with the FWD, ABS, and traction control. i couldnt have asked for more. the only thing that worries me is if i ever get stuck in a ditch somewhere, there aint no way ill be able to get that 2 ton lug out. but any way, i drove very careful and the car did a wonderful job. i bought this car in august and ive been waitin one hell of a long time to drive it in the snow. but as for ice, no car is good in the ice. not even 4WD cars and trucks. im glad we got all snow here.

2004ctsv
01-25-05, 08:10 PM
The V is in stored.... the Harley is stored....The Steelers got whipped.....Cold and snowy here in Pittsburgh.....Can the end of the world be far behind. Nothing left but to drink away my sorrows.:drinker

Every other year after they blew it in the play offs, I'd swich to hockey. Did you ever notice how gray and depressing this place is in winter? Luckily, I head to Houston next week - may a little golf is in the outlook. Maybe I'll pick up my wheel and tire.

Tony

cts-vette
01-31-05, 11:44 PM
I am worried about the streets of the northeast!

With all us maniacs with our Vs in storage for some time, what will this place be like in the spring when we take to the roads....watch out!! :burn:

Close to 20 inches and freezing cold and the V just sits in the garage, at a cozy 65 degrees, all nice and warm with no place to go. :helpless:

There is light at the end of the tunnel, my inspection is up in March, this will give me an excuse to get it in for some service, a clean up, new tires and fully prepped for the spring! :dance: :banana:

jdodman
02-01-05, 07:29 AM
You guys are missing a lot of fun. The V - with some Dunlop M3's - is a lot of fun in the snow. Not WRX fun (all wheel drive), but still a lot of fun...It is my daily driver so I have no choice..

My garage queen in the winter is the Buick Grand National. Since that car has a shift kit, automatic trans, and full slicks, that car would NOT be fun in the snow.

Harley Guy
02-01-05, 08:59 AM
Jdodman,

I am sure the V would be fun, if not scary, but I am not missing the beating that the salt and sand give the car. When I started looking into winter tires and wheels last fall I decided to add a little money to the deal and bought a used Jeep instead. Every time I look at the Jeep with all the salt on it I am glad the V is safe and warm sitting next to the Harley in the garage.

Since the Steelers went down in flames I hope the Eagles kick New Englandís butt on Sunday.

willsctsv
02-01-05, 09:30 AM
I drive my V regularly, but in the snow this car sux! No traction even on 1/2 inch or so. The car fish tales even in 4th gear at 1100 rpm. My trailblazer is fun in the snow the V is a hassale. You don't want to be caught in the snow with this car!

jdodman
02-01-05, 08:16 PM
I am not happy about the salt and the winter mess on my V, but I am fairly confident I am going to flip this car for a 2007, so I am not too anal about what it gets exposed too, in terms of winter. My wife gets the 4 wheel drive in the family.

thread hyjack !!!

I wish the Steelers went all the way, or even the Colts. I think both those teams deserve it, more then the Pats or the Eagles...

I am the lone Giants fan here in the Philadelphia area. I grew up with the NY Giants, and lived not too far from the Giants / Jets Meadowlands Stadium exit on the New Jersey Turnpike..

All that being said, I not sure who I am rooting for this Sunday. I guess I am just hoping for a close game..

Not easy being me...

AND NOW - Back to driving the V in the snow !!!

HDMLNIUM
02-01-05, 08:34 PM
Well I bought my 05 V on January 15th, put about 100 miles on it that day. The next day I took it out for a short drive and she has been stored in the garage ever since She has 116 miles on it now and I doubt it will see anymore until mid to late April. That does suck, but I want to keep her nice..:hmm:

Bill-05-V

http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_CTS-V1.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_Z06-fuelrailcovers.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_Badge-removal.jpg
05 CTS-V--- Light Platinum
Llumar Clear Bra and Tinted windows
z06 fuel rail covers, Cags Eliminator, K&N drop in filter, B&B resonator catback in the mail.... More Mods coming..
Online Photos http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/

jdodman
02-01-05, 10:20 PM
If you are not going to drive your V in the snow, and you live in Maine, isn't that about 6 months a year of drive time ??

HDMLNIUM
02-01-05, 10:27 PM
If you are not going to drive your V in the snow, and you live in Maine, isn't that about 6 months a year of drive time ??

It's about 4 months that the summer vehicles sit in the garage. They come out about the middle of April and don't get stored until the first Salting of the roads. That is usually mid December, I plan on putting them up on Thanksgiving every year and any longer than that with clean roads is a bonus.
I just traded my 03 Sierra Denali in on this so the only thing left to drive in winter weather is the 94 GMC, or the wifes minivan and I am not a minivan type of guy.. haha :hmm:

Bill-05-V

http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_CTS-V1.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_Z06-fuelrailcovers.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_Badge-removal.jpg
05 CTS-V--- Light Platinum
Llumar Clear Bra and Tinted windows
z06 fuel rail covers, Cags Eliminator, K&N drop in filter, B&B resonator catback in the mail.... More Mods coming..
Online Photos http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/