: RainSense wipers?

WannaV
05-29-13, 05:28 PM
I have noticed that my Rainsense wipers seem to be starting when it is not raining? Where is the sensor for this? I was curious if bugs hitting the windshield could trigger it? It seems like it may not be working as sometimes when it rains heavily it doesn't keep up and i have to switch it to manual. I am going to have the dealer check it out next oil change, but was curious if anyone on here has had any trouble with theirs.

rustybear3
05-29-13, 06:03 PM
Nope...works as advertised.

MASCAD
05-29-13, 06:43 PM
The sensor is located at the top center of the windshield in the "black box" forward of the mirror.

There was a earlier thread on this with a lot of information so you might want to do a search for it.

gohawks63
05-29-13, 10:59 PM
I have noticed that my Rainsense wipers seem to be starting when it is not raining? Where is the sensor for this? I was curious if bugs hitting the windshield could trigger it? It seems like it may not be working as sometimes when it rains heavily it doesn't keep up and i have to switch it to manual. I am going to have the dealer check it out next oil change, but was curious if anyone on here has had any trouble with theirs.

I have noticed that if a large bug hits the windshield near the sensor or if your windshield is dirty it could cause an errant swipe.

AtlantaGuy00
05-30-13, 09:51 AM
Do you keep the switch in the off position when it's not raining? If not, you should. That will prevent accidentally triggering them and its why there is an off switch.

thebigjimsho
05-30-13, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I kept it off to not swipe bugs or swipe in a car wash...

gohawks63
05-30-13, 06:14 PM
Do you keep the switch in the off position when it's not raining? If not, you should. That will prevent accidentally triggering them and its why there is an off switch.

Mine are on always. Very rare to get a false swipe. I only use touch less car washes and even then, only in the winter. That is the only time I turn them off.

AtlantaGuy00
05-30-13, 09:49 PM
I'll have to read the manual again, but I know on my DTS the rainsense wipers will swipe every few minutes after they detect its stopped raining to notify you that they're still on...

gohawks63
05-30-13, 11:02 PM
I'll have to read the manual again, but I know on my DTS the rainsense wipers will swipe every few minutes after they detect its stopped raining to notify you that they're still on...

Not so on the CTS.

romanats
05-31-13, 10:33 AM
i still cannot understand how to activate rainsense mine never come on on their own

MASCAD
05-31-13, 11:41 AM
i still cannot understand how to activate rainsense mine never come on on their own

First click up from the off position on the wiper control stalk. A message should appear (briefly) in the DIC saying they are on.

EChas3
05-31-13, 11:06 PM
Leaving Rainsense on in the STS runs the headlights for no reason. Is this not also true with the ATS?

Not all implementations of Rainsense meet with owner satisfaction. I wouldn't do without; therefore the 2010 GM's are ALL off my list.

repairman
06-16-14, 02:27 PM
My 2007 Escalade wipers worked as properly for about 4 years (set to first notch), but now they are erratic as they work sometime to keep up with the rain and other times the switch on the stalk needs to be turned faster or to off and on to get them to work. Dealer so far, has not found a problem.

CaddySales3.6
06-16-14, 05:05 PM
Fun fact, on at ATS (and most 2013 and up gm products) the rain sense wipers deactivate when you put the vehicle in neutral. That way you don't have to turn off the rainsense in most car washes.

But mine have never swiped without rain actually being present.

RocketDawg
06-16-14, 09:24 PM
Mine sometimes come on when I wouldn't have turned them on myself, and they stay on a little longer after the rain has stopped. Perhaps a drip comes over the sensor. Basically, they work well though.

I don't think the switch merely being in the 'auto' position turns the lights on though. It takes a few wipes before the lights come on, and then they go off shortly after they quit wiping. At least that's the way mine work.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-16-14, 11:12 PM
My 2007 Escalade wipers worked as properly for about 4 years (set to first notch), but now they are erratic as they work sometime to keep up with the rain and other times the switch on the stalk needs to be turned faster or to off and on to get them to work. Dealer so far, has not found a problem.

Hi repairman,

I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this issue with your wipers. I am glad to hear that you are working with the dealership to try and resolve your concern. Please let us know how everything goes and what the resolution is. If you would like additional assistance at any time, feel free to PM us.

Have a great night,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

gohawks63
06-17-14, 08:12 PM
Fun fact, on at ATS (and most 2013 and up gm products) the rain sense wipers deactivate when you put the vehicle in neutral. That way you don't have to turn off the rainsense in most car washes. But mine have never swiped without rain actually being present.

Thanks for the info. Tried it on my '12 V coupe and this worked. Or should I say they didn't swipe when in neutral.

ben.gators
06-18-14, 12:12 AM
Leaving Rainsense on in the STS runs the headlights for no reason. Is this not also true with the ATS?

Not all implementations of Rainsense meet with owner satisfaction. I wouldn't do without; therefore the 2010 GM's are ALL off my list.

My old Cadillac Seville STS used to do this too; but not the ATS anymore.

rchern
06-21-14, 01:57 PM
I've had Rainsense in a number Cadillacs (I'm not a big fan of it.) and it used to state in the manual that if it's left in the on position every once in a while it will make a test swipe. One person stated that it will make swipes every few minutes after it stops raining. I've never had one that does that. It's more like it will give a test swipe every few days. I just checked my manual and it doesn't say that anymore. It will start working if something is in the view of the sensor like bugs or dirt.