: Dealer-installed shock upgrade?

jlakowicz
01-23-05, 08:18 AM
I will pick up a 2005 CTS-V next week. What is the option for dealer-installed better shocks? I there such an option? Can it be done after the car is delivered? I had trouble finding the info, even from the dealer. Do they make a difference for street and track? I like crisp handling on the street and will take the car to a road course. Does the electronic traction control stuff still operate or are the shocks simple shocks with no electronic control? I hope this is not too simple a question, but it was hard for me to find this info.

Thank you for your help. JRL

01-23-05, 09:47 AM
I will pick up a 2005 CTS-V next week. What is the option for dealer-installed better shocks? I there such an option? Can it be done after the car is delivered? I had trouble finding the info, even from the dealer. Do they make a difference for street and track? I like crisp handling on the street and will take the car to a road course. Does the electronic traction control stuff still operate or are the shocks simple shocks with no electronic control? I hope this is not too simple a question, but it was hard for me to find this info.

Thank you for your help. JRL

JRL:

The shock option is called "FG2". Search this forum for FG2 and all of your questions will be answered. I have driven both and prefer the standard shocks, but I don't have an issue with wheel hop and I don't take the car on the track. On the contrary, I drive on urban roads.

They are "simple" shocks in that there are no electronics. Sometimes you will see them for sale on eBay; you can have them installed yourself and maybe save some cash over the dealer $1300 (installed) price.....

Those who have it like it, but the standard shocks are stiff enough for me.

Doug

Art138
01-23-05, 11:37 AM
Even though the dealer might tell you that they have to be ordered(FG2) with the car
you can have them subsequently ordered. However, I just negotiated the price to 940.00 before I settled on the total price of the Car( I get mine in 8 days). If you purchase later you might have to pay retail (1,200) on them. I drove one with and the other without at the dealer. At slow speeds did not notice much; during turns it was more noticeable. Everyone who has had them installed recommends them.

Silver1
01-23-05, 02:58 PM
ART138,

How much difference was there in the ride quality? Stiffness?
Thanks

mitchm
01-23-05, 08:53 PM
They definitely are stiffer. Of course, you will feel the improvement in handling but at a price. If you drive on uneven or broken pavement (as I sometimes have to do), you will be jarred around more than with the stock shocks. I have the FG2's and am satisfied with them. However, I am willing to tolerate the negatives for imrpoved handling. It's a matter of taste.

jlakowicz
01-23-05, 09:51 PM
Thank you all for your responses. Since I drive on some rough roads I'll try the stock ones one the street and track, and decide later on installing the non-electronic ones. JRL

Art138
01-23-05, 10:33 PM
Silver1:

I drove on a well paved street so did not notice any unusual stiffness; as I can on the interstate ramp which circles back to the dealer, the V with the upgrade appeared not to budge at all. Actually, my wife who drove both did not notice any difference.

jlakowicz
01-24-05, 09:37 PM
I'm still a little confused about the shocks. What happens to the traction control and active stabalization when you put on the shock upgrade? Thanks

ctsvett
01-25-05, 01:28 AM
Nothing happens to the traction control and stabilitrak. They both work fine.. remember, this is a GM option.. Just stiffer valving in the shocks.

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

jlakowicz
01-29-05, 07:46 AM
Dear CTSVET, thanks for the answer. The reason I asked is because I have a C5 with the adjustable suspension. There is no such option for the C5, the only way to firm up the asjustable suspension is to remove the electronic shocks. Thanks. JRL

Art138
01-29-05, 11:38 AM
I was just informed that my V arrived at the dealer; I am going to drive without the shocks today. FG2s get put on by next week. I am gong to drive the car under varied conditions to better judge the difference. Will give you input next week. I am going to ask for the exisiting shocks to see what they say. I know they will try to keep them.

urbanski
01-29-05, 01:05 PM
I was just informed that my V arrived at the dealer; I am going to drive without the shocks today. FG2s get put on by next week. I am gong to drive the car under varied conditions to better judge the difference. Will give you input next week. I am going to ask for the exisiting shocks to see what they say. I know they will try to keep them.
the should NOT keep them.
You paid for them with the stock car, then paid again for the FG2.
They must put them back in the FG2's box, and throw them in your trunk.