: Putting

anpirz
05-29-13, 02:33 PM
Hello all and thank you for making me feel welcome. I bought an '08 CTS DI back when it was brand new for finishing my second deployment to Iraq. The car has been wonderful so far but I'm having a little issue. It has 75k miles on it and has had all the proper maintenance done. I just had an issue with a misfire with a coil (fixed with OEM part) but there has been an underlying "putting" sound when I hit the gas. I was wondering if it could be the spark plugs bc I did the injectors, cleaned the K&N air filter, and just replaced the bad coil. My car lacks the power I am used to it having and it is consuming more gas. Please help me!

EcSTSatic
05-29-13, 02:49 PM
I thought this was going to be a golf thread. :)

It's possible that your MAF is dirty. Overoiled K&N filters will do that. Just a thought.
Have you pulled your codes?

anpirz
05-29-13, 03:09 PM
No idea what pulling codes means lol. But the check engine light is not on. Plus, this putting has been happening even before I put theK&N in. It started over 6 months ago and I have slowly tried everything I know and it's still there. Now it is more frequent. If I floor it, the car may go fast or it may putt and hesitate before catching.

EcSTSatic
05-29-13, 03:16 PM
How to pull the DTC
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/53635-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

The plug(s) could be fouled from the coil problem.

anpirz
05-29-13, 05:40 PM
I've replaced the plug to the bad coil but can the bad coil effect the other plugs?

Ranger
05-29-13, 09:37 PM
I don't think the CTS has the capability to pull DTC's via the DIC, nor does any Cadillac after '05 (if I remember correctly).

Will move this to CTS forum .

anpirz
05-29-13, 10:00 PM
Ok please send me a link to the thread, I can't seem to find where you moved it to.

Will these codes tell me minor things that the check engine light won't? How often should I be doing this?

Plus I had asked if having one misfire in a coil effect the rest of the plugs? Should I just change them all?

jghiller
05-30-13, 03:59 AM
Have dealer run scan tool to check for codes. Do you get the monthly diagnostic report? Anything shown on that? If you dont get that report, sign up for it on the Onstar website.

RAB
05-30-13, 04:55 AM
Minor detail... the monthly diagnostic report referred to in above post requires a subscription to OnStar.

C "T" ess
05-30-13, 12:36 PM
For one thing, my opinion is to never replace just one plug. Just change all 6 and take a look and smell of the old plugs coming out. They can tell you a lot about whats going on.
You didn't say if the car was doing it idle, under load or at highway speeds. If it's only under load, I would suspect injectors. At cruising speed, I would consider the throttle body. At idle, bad plugs, bad fuel filter, bad gas.

blunted
05-30-13, 01:37 PM
For one thing, my opinion is to never replace just one plug. Just change all 6 and take a look and smell of the old plugs coming out. They can tell you a lot about whats going on.

+1
If it was me, i'd change all the plugs and take a good look at them. Might be that another coil is going out as well.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-31-13, 11:54 AM
Hello all and thank you for making me feel welcome. I bought an '08 CTS DI back when it was brand new for finishing my second deployment to Iraq. The car has been wonderful so far but I'm having a little issue. It has 75k miles on it and has had all the proper maintenance done. I just had an issue with a misfire with a coil (fixed with OEM part) but there has been an underlying "putting" sound when I hit the gas. I was wondering if it could be the spark plugs bc I did the injectors, cleaned the K&N air filter, and just replaced the bad coil. My car lacks the power I am used to it having and it is consuming more gas. Please help me!

Hello anpirz,

I am glad to hear you are feeling welcomed to the forums, as you should! You have received some great information from other members, and jghiller mentioned the dealership scanning tool to check for codes. Are you thinking about taking your vehicle into the dealership to scan for codes? Please let us know, and if there is anything we can do to further assist.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

anpirz
06-11-13, 10:32 AM
Thank you very much, Laura, you and the rest of the members on this thread have been very helpful. I will be going to Vera Cadillac here in South Florida to pull up codes and take the appropriate action.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-11-13, 10:55 AM
Thank you very much, Laura, you and the rest of the members on this thread have been very helpful. I will be going to Vera Cadillac here in South Florida to pull up codes and take the appropriate action.

Hello anpirz,

You are very welcome. I am glad to hear the members have been very helpful for you. I want to stay involved throughout this process and further assist you if needed. We can continue our interaction via private message. Feel free to keep me updated on the outcome of your dealership visit.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

tinman
06-11-13, 11:11 AM
Again, I agree with others regarding 6 plugs vs. 1 plug. You have 75 k on the clock, close enough to change them all out at this time. I also agree with CT"ess" on the bad fuel, filter as well.

anpirz
06-11-13, 07:04 PM
One follow up question. If I am changing the plugs myself (which due to my financial situation at the moment is a real possibility) how difficult would it be to do the TB? I've heard that spark plug issues can muck up the TB and if I'm already under the good I may as well do it right. I just did the TB but I'm told that the unlit fuel in there can cause carbon deposits fast. I am moderately mechanically inclined and really want my ride back to its full potential. Since someone said that if I change one plug then change them all. If I'm changing the plugs after misfires should I just clean the TB?

tinman
06-11-13, 07:24 PM
It would never harm anything to clean the tb. If you don't then I wouldn't worry about it. Changing all plugs should help immensely. Now I haven't changed our plugs so I am not intimate with our engine. That being said, wear safety glasses and if our plugs are recessed then blow out the cavity before pulling plugs so any sand/dirt in there doesn't drop in. When installing new plugs check gap. Hand install and hand tighten to avoid cross threading. And put anti sieze on threads so they are easy to remove next time. Torque to specs.

anpirz
06-17-13, 09:51 AM
Tinman, did everything like you said. It was cake. Nothing is in the way. You might want to take off the crossbar (I was advised by another forum member) because it will cut time in the end. The coil plug is a bit tricky but nothing too difficult, use a flathead as a wedge on it.
Now, when I took out the plug from the new coil I had installed two weeks earlier, I noticed that 2 week old plug had a LOT of carbon deposits on the lip. Is this from misfires?

hauler
06-17-13, 10:08 AM
Grey deposits are from too much or unburned fuel. Black tar looking deposits are from oil. Post a picture if you can.

anpirz
06-17-13, 10:33 AM
Can't get a photo with my phone, it doesn't t resize it correctly. I can tell you this though, it is charcoal gray just like the carbon deposits on my gun after the range.

----------

Can this be due to all the misfiring within these 2 weeks? Should I be concerned or is this expected with misfires?

C "T" ess
06-17-13, 11:01 AM
Try a couple of tanks of premium and then check the plugs again. I'm not saying to permanently change to premium but a couple of tanks may give you a better indication of what could possibly be going awry.

hauler
06-17-13, 12:00 PM
Charcoal grey is too much fuel, not enough air, can be caused by a bad plug or one fouled by a bad coil. Listen to the putting noise while you are still using 87 octane. Could it be spark knock causing a slight stumble? If it is, premium fuel should slow the flame front and suppress the noise. If not, as CTEss said, continuing on premium fuel has no benefit, unless your car adjusts it's timing electronically by listening for high advance knocking.

If it is knocking, it's also possible the fuel in the tank is less than 87 octane = change gas stations.

tinman
06-17-13, 12:30 PM
Yep, use a "top tier" fuel.