: online car sale question

ahotrod67
01-23-05, 12:09 AM
sorry its not cadillac specific but i just sold a fairly custom car thru another forum and it had an engine swap (rx7/ls1) it was a pretty solid swap. with a few minor problems that were disclosed before sale. now that the guy has it in arazona, a state and 11 hours driving time away, hes been trying to fix the few little things that werent finished and hes been messing up everything he's touched. and now the car has way more problems than when he started. hes now trying to get me to renburse him for repairs to the problems disclosed and the problems that he's created by his atemp to fix. i feel bad that i sold the car to a guy that doesnt know jack about working on cars but at the same time i dont think im resopsible for his work to the car either. im about ready to just give him the cold shoulder, but do you guys think im responsible for anything now that the sale is complete.
thanks for reading the whole thing
bob

danbuc
01-23-05, 12:30 AM
No, you are not responsible for any damage done to the car by this person. He knew the terms of sale, and still bought it. It's his fault, if he tried to fix it, and f**ked up. You have nothing to do with that. Since you did inform him of what problems it had, it was up to him to make the decision to buy. He's just mad, because he thought he could fix it, and now realizes that he can't. It's not your problem, and you need to tell him that. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

majax
01-23-05, 12:37 AM
Help him fix it and maybe give him $100. That's what I would do. You do not owe him anything though.

ahotrod67
01-23-05, 01:04 AM
im not gonna give this guy any money. he was trying to work on the tranny and disconected the hydrolic line for the clutch and now hes asking me to walk him thru bleeding a clutch. for someone that doesnt know jack about cars he shouldnt have bought a car that needs work. im willing to email him back and walk him thru the easy stuff but i cant hold his hand forever. i think in a month ill just start taking longer and longer to get back to him. and i think thats fair?
ps you guys are quick to reply thanks

Dadillac
01-23-05, 01:23 AM
A buddy of mine just sold an engine, and is running into the same problem. My advise to him, is the same I will give you. Tell him that you sold him the car, with him fully knowing the condition. You did not agree to be his tech support, to complete the transaction. If that doesn't get through to him, tell him to screw off.

Don

Leloz
01-23-05, 12:25 PM
Usually I write on the bill of sale: "Vehicle is sold as-is where-is with no warranties or guarantees expressed or implied."

Legally and technically you owe him nothing, especially if all the problems were disclosed in the ad. Give him some words of encouragement and that should be the end of it.

Goodluck :thumbsup:

brougham
01-23-05, 01:06 PM
He knew it had problems when he bought it. That's his fault and why should you have to do anything for him for the things that he messed up?

Rolex
01-23-05, 03:27 PM
Usually I write on the bill of sale: "Vehicle is sold as-is where-is with no warranties or guarantees expressed or implied."

This is the same thing I do. This goes without saying when buying a used vehicle, especially when existing problems have been disclosed by the seller prior to the sale. Used vehicles are sold "as is" and "buyer beware."

You're a decent guy for trying to help him out but you don't owe this guy a dime, and if he tries to sue you for it a judge will laugh him out of the court room. Id tell him nicely that you sold him the car to be rid of it and you cannot continue to walk him through every repair. Then if he persists, be firm and tell him to bug off. :sneaky:

91TexasSeville
01-23-05, 03:51 PM
Legally you owe the buyer nothing.
Ethically you did the right thing by disclosing known problems.
Neighborly you have attempted to help.

I canít think of anything else for you to do but maybe suggest the buyer consult a custom fabricator for assistance. You must draw the line with the buyer. The buyer has possession of the property and all remediation for repair is responsibility of the buyer, not the seller. You can put your head down at night and be peaceful with the thought that you've done your best.

ahotrod67
01-24-05, 04:14 PM
well hes been attemting to do alot of wireing but now the radio doesnt work at all and the car has a constant drain on the battery. so instead of walking him thu what i would check out i gave him the company that suplys the convertion parts and also sells turn key cars. told him to call him up to fix the problems. and when i say i disclosed the problems means that the speedo wont stay at zero when stoped cause the mazda and chevy dont comunicate right. and that theres no ac or smog on the car. so really it was a very solid swap if he would have left it alone but the speedo got on his nerve and he demolished the wiring to try to fix it.