: Brief oil smoke on startup with 2.0T. Anyone else?

Yplus
05-29-13, 02:37 PM
Since I have remote start, I typically get out of my house and while walking to the car I activate remote start and then unlock the door, get in and drive away (I like the engine noise, what can I say?). I notice a little puff of what seems to be blue smoke (not moisture) that lasts about 1-2 seconds and then goes away. I know I would never have noticed this if I started the car while inside since it's light enough to disappear about 3-4 inches away from the tailpipe. The car has 6k miles and already had the oil changed once (during the CUE update). Otherwise, no funny smell, no performance issues I can see, etc. Any one else notice this?

Bertha D Blues
05-29-13, 02:46 PM
Not on mine

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-29-13, 07:27 PM
Since I have remote start, I typically get out of my house and while walking to the car I activate remote start and then unlock the door, get in and drive away (I like the engine noise, what can I say?). I notice a little puff of what seems to be blue smoke (not moisture) that lasts about 1-2 seconds and then goes away. I know I would never have noticed this if I started the car while inside since it's light enough to disappear about 3-4 inches away from the tailpipe. The car has 6k miles and already had the oil changed once (during the CUE update). Otherwise, no funny smell, no performance issues I can see, etc. Any one else notice this?

Hello Yplus,

I see that you are reaching out to the community to see if anyone else is experiencing the concern. If you are still concerned, I would suggest taking it to the dealership to have them look at it. If you would like any assistance with working with the dealership, I would be more than happy to assist you. Send us a private message if that is the route you choose to pursue. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

unclemoose
06-01-13, 12:35 PM
I think it's a bit of soot/particulates. Look in your tail pipes, they will be black with soot/black particulates. I've had two GM 2.0L SIDI Turbos and this is normal in my experience.

73JPS
06-01-13, 12:51 PM
I think it's a bit of soot/particulates. Look in your tail pipes, they will be black with soot/black particulates. I've had two GM 2.0L SIDI Turbos and this is normal in my experience.

Yes, I find the tailpipes unusually sooty, and any 2.0Ts I have seen seem to be like that. I say "unusually" in comparison to other cars I have owned.

Yplus
06-03-13, 12:26 PM
I think you guys are on the right track. Yes my tailpipe is pretty sooty as well. I actually stared at my tail pipes while activating remote start and it did look like it was actually a little puff of soot, almost like a diesel engine, but it goes away pretty quickly, less than a second.

Thanks for the help and comments!

miguelius
06-04-13, 02:05 AM
I have noticed soot on my tailpipes and think it is normal, though i have not seen smoke. Every week or so I clean the soot off with a wet wipe or moist rag. I noticed similar sooty deposits on a 2013 Ford Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost that I rented last summer. I am beginning to think this is a normal feature of a direct injection turbos. I don't think it's a problem.:yup:

z06bigbird
06-09-13, 04:22 AM
Not sure where you live or where you park your vehicle--I have not seen any smoke from your car.

Lorne
06-11-13, 08:35 PM
I have noticed soot on my tailpipes and think it is normal, though i have not seen smoke. Every week or so I clean the soot off with a wet wipe or moist rag. I noticed similar sooty deposits on a 2013 Ford Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost that I rented last summer. I am beginning to think this is a normal feature of a direct injection turbos. I don't think it's a problem.:yup:

I've got sooty tailpipes too, but they wipe up easily to a shine

M5eater
06-13-13, 09:24 AM
Yes, I find the tailpipes unusually sooty, and any 2.0Ts I have seen seem to be like that. I say "unusually" in comparison to other cars I have owned.

It's normal with a lot of F/I turbo cars.