: Underdrive Pulleys - Questions not answers

CVP33
01-22-05, 07:20 PM
Has anyone considered underdrive pulleys? Would they be to difficult to install in the tight engine compartment? From what I've read it's an easy 10-15 hp. Just curious.

01-22-05, 07:27 PM
Don't know about the story for the V, but from what I have heard they can make your A/C and electricals weak at idle. In a traffic jam on a rainy summer night you might have to rev to keep your battery from dying. This car burns some amps!

I have no idea what confusion the various chips and sensors might encounter.....

Doug

CVP33
01-22-05, 07:57 PM
Doug,

I read up on this on the GTO forum and they voiced the same concerns. The owners who installed the ASP pulleys did not have electrical, A/C or sensor issues. One enthusiast explained the the new pulleys actually had a higher sidewall which helped hold the belts in place better. He also showed a 15 hp gain for his $200 bucks. I thought it might be worth a try.

01-22-05, 08:06 PM
Doug,

I read up on this on the GTO forum and they voiced the same concerns. The owners who installed the ASP pulleys did not have electrical, A/C or sensor issues. One enthusiast explained the the new pulleys actually had a higher sidewall which helped hold the belts in place better. He also showed a 15 hp gain for his $200 bucks. I thought it might be worth a try.

That was the only downside that I had ever heard regarding pulleys; otherwise it is free hp. "Free" meaning that once they were installed the hp was free. They can't be too hard to install on the V....but I don't know what the deal is with replacing the belt, or what other changes you need to make to make it all work. I would assume (and yes, I do know how to spell a-s-s+u&me) that the GTO owners experience should parallel the V experience (regarding pulleys only, of course).

I looked into this in '97 when I was planning to mod my Mustang, but never got past the "looking into it" stage.

Doug

JOEYCTS-V
01-22-05, 08:10 PM
On my LT1 camaro the voltage would drop with the headlights on, A/C etc. but nothing too bad. I did notice a little improvement in power so I guess it could be worth the extra $. A claim of 15HP seems a bit outrageous though.

CVP33
01-22-05, 08:11 PM
I'll send our fearless moderator an email. Maybe one of our sponsors or another reputable company like ASP or March can do a group purchase. If most of us are willing to spend $900+ for an exhaust system with 9 hp, $250 for a CAI then certainly we can pony up $200 for 15 real hp.

CVP33
01-22-05, 08:15 PM
Joey,

I agree. The GTO owner quoted dyno sheets and SAE corrected numbers. So unless he's BS-ing, which wouldn't be a first for any car enthusiast. One manufacturer claims 9-12, the other 10-15 hp.

cts-v ls6
01-22-05, 08:46 PM
I just got my V up and running yesterday after putting a new LS6 engine in it. I was considering an ASP underdrive pulley while I had the engine out. I talked to a guy with ASP, and he said that just using the ASP crank pulley would "probably" be all right, but do NOT install their underdrive pulleys on the V alternator or anything else. He told me that ASP had lots of complaints on electrical systems not staying charged and air conditioners not cooling here in the south where I live {Memphis, TN}. You don't want to be in Memphis in July with no air.

I didn't install the ASP pulley.

P.S. The guy at ASP said that using only the crank underdrive pulley would net you maybe 5 fwhp-or about 4 rwhp.

01-22-05, 10:03 PM
I just got my V up and running yesterday after putting a new LS6 engine in it. .

(threadjack) Is this the Brooklyn flood car? You're up and running? Congratulations! Was it just the motor, or were there other hidden issues?

Doug

cts-v ls6
01-23-05, 07:50 PM
Hey, Doug,

Yes, this is the Brooklyn car. We took it off the transporter on 12/19, and I got to drive the car for the first time last Friday. Oh my goodness, what a ride! But we had the holidays, bad weather, and had to wait for parts to arrive.

I put in a new LS6 engine, a Moore performance lightweight Luk Pro Gold clutch/pressure plate/flywheel combo, Corsa exhaust, Random Tech high flow cats, Patriot Stage 2 LS6 heads, a 160 deg. stat, and this week, a Lingy caik and a Stealth intake mod. I also put the "V" floor mats in it, and they look really nice. I have one more intake mod, and then it's to a tuner. Then I'll put a clear bra on it, and call it good. I hope to see 400 rwhp-we'll see. The plan is to dyno it after the engine is broken in. All this, and we didn't pull a single code!

The forum has been extremely helpful, and I really appreciate all the help and suggestions.

I was very fortunate that the car was absolutely perfect except for the engine, which I knew about on the front end. All the electronics work perfectly [which I had been concerned about], and so did the MAF and throttle body-which technically could have been hurt by the ingestion of water. There was not one scratch on the car, and the interior is perfect. It still smells like a new car. My wife is not into cars, and I was concerned that the Corsa might be too loud, but she says it is "fine, and "ok". That's alot for her, and so I know I'm ok there.

I studied the owner's manual for about 3 hours yesterday, and set everything up, only to find that there apparently is a separate manual for the nav system. So I'll have to find one somewhere.

I changed out the rear end and trans fluids, and not much metal on either plug. The rear end doesn't whine, and the Luk combo deleted the clunk that so many seem to have a problem with. [I don't have a clunk under any situation]. I haven't revved it high enough to experience wheel hop, but I'm sure it would behave like everyone else's-and hop, if given the opportunity. I enjoy going through the gears and driving fast, but this is my everyday transportation, and I'm not interested in drag racing and tearing it up-it's too nice a car. And there's always someone faster than you, who's spent more time and money. Whatever.

So I'm really excited. Stealth's mod is supposed to be here tomorrow, and the Lingy is already here. I'm getting real close!

01-23-05, 08:04 PM
Hey, Doug,

Yes, this is the Brooklyn car. We took it off the transporter on 12/19, and I got to drive the car for the first time last Friday. Oh my goodness, what a ride! But we had the holidays, bad weather, and had to wait for parts to arrive.

I put in a new LS6 engine, a Moore performance lightweight Luk Pro Gold clutch/pressure plate/flywheel combo, Corsa exhaust, Random Tech high flow cats, Patriot Stage 2 LS6 heads, a 160 deg. stat, and this week, a Lingy caik and a Stealth intake mod. I also put the "V" floor mats in it, and they look really nice. I have one more intake mod, and then it's to a tuner. Then I'll put a clear bra on it, and call it good. I hope to see 400 rwhp-we'll see. The plan is to dyno it after the engine is broken in. All this, and we didn't pull a single code!

The forum has been extremely helpful, and I really appreciate all the help and suggestions.

I was very fortunate that the car was absolutely perfect except for the engine, which I knew about on the front end. All the electronics work perfectly [which I had been concerned about], and so did the MAF and throttle body-which technically could have been hurt by the ingestion of water. There was not one scratch on the car, and the interior is perfect. It still smells like a new car. My wife is not into cars, and I was concerned that the Corsa might be too loud, but she says it is "fine, and "ok". That's alot for her, and so I know I'm ok there.

I studied the owner's manual for about 3 hours yesterday, and set everything up, only to find that there apparently is a separate manual for the nav system. So I'll have to find one somewhere.

I changed out the rear end and trans fluids, and not much metal on either plug. The rear end doesn't whine, and the Luk combo deleted the clunk that so many seem to have a problem with. [I don't have a clunk under any situation]. I haven't revved it high enough to experience wheel hop, but I'm sure it would behave like everyone else's-and hop, if given the opportunity. I enjoy going through the gears and driving fast, but this is my everyday transportation, and I'm not interested in drag racing and tearing it up-it's too nice a car. And there's always someone faster than you, who's spent more time and money. Whatever.

So I'm really excited. Stealth's mod is supposed to be here tomorrow, and the Lingy is already here. I'm getting real close!

You da man. You can get the Nav manual from the FAQ at http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/pdf/2k04cts_nav.pdf

Thank Reed (CTSVETTE).

You may end up with best hp/$$ ratio of any CTS-V owner.

Good luck tying up the loose ends.

Doug

BowenCT
01-23-05, 08:48 PM
Wow, what a great story. It was a treat to read that. I guess it's easy to get consumed by some of the negativity that gets tossed around here, but reading a success story like that really puts a smile on my face. CTS-V LS6, hat's off to you and best of luck with your V.

cts-v ls6
01-23-05, 09:20 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll keep y'all in the loop.

Rickerbucks
01-23-05, 11:29 PM
Yeah, Great to hear that story. If I had not just bought, I certainly would have entertained buyng that car.

You mind telling what you got it for on Ebay? I didn't save the link as I meant to keep an eye on it.

cts-v ls6
01-24-05, 07:38 AM
$25k

Katshot
01-24-05, 08:14 AM
I won't get into the down-side of rebuilding a flood car, I'll instead limit my comment to the underdrive pulley issue.
Yes, the underdrive pullies can net you some apparently "free" HP but it WILL come at a price. That price is paid in lower output from all belt-driven accessories. Whether that's an issue is up to you but just remember that comparing Camaro's and GTO's - which are fairly modestly appointed- to a CTS-v loaded with all the creature comforts is misleading at best.

CaddyGeek
01-24-05, 02:31 PM
I'm glad you decided to post your experience for us. Awesome how it's worked out so far! Please, keep us up to date.