: Help please - classic Cadillac buying decision

sasanford73
05-29-13, 12:34 AM
Well......its come to a point in my young existence on this earth ( just turned 21) and I've deemed it neccesary for myself to own a pearl white caddy. However .....I know nothing of caddys. Always been the "car guy" but usually in lifted trucks jeeps and imports.
I don't quite understand this newfound deep affection for my desires but I'm serious. And I will save and work till I achieve said goal.
Born and raised in Houston and still living here I know this should be fairly easy to find my dream car here.
My problem is I just wanna make sure I've got the right one.
Any ideas for good browsing techniques and things to consider?
Looking for a sedan. White. Classy. Slab to make my own. Good lines. Zero wrecks
But mainly. What are the real deal classic models. What are the good the bad and the ugly?

Thanks!

MoistCabbage
05-29-13, 01:54 AM
:welcome:

"White Cadillac Sedan". That description spans ~80 or so years. Do you have any idea what year range/model you'd be looking for? "Classic" would imply older and RWD?

EcSTSatic
05-29-13, 09:43 AM
Welcome! You're on a Cadillac forum so naturally we're biased. Since you specified a sedan the Eldo is out. Look for a clean STS.

sasanford73
05-29-13, 10:30 AM
This ones pretty gorgeous. But what is it?

Corey468
05-29-13, 11:17 AM
1970 Cadillac Coupe Deville Convertible

Ranger
05-29-13, 12:19 PM
You wouldn't like that one..............it's not White Diamond.

Seriously, you need to first figure out what model you like best and what kind of a ride you are looking for. Do you want luxury or sporty?

vincentm
05-29-13, 12:38 PM
You wouldn't like that one..............it's not White Diamond.

Seriously, you need to first figure out what model you like best and what kind of a ride you are looking for. Do you want luxury or sporty?

Also what budget he has to dedicate towards a luxury vehicle such as a Cadillac, whether it be a classic or a Northstar based model, you're going to need $$$, especially if it's a mid 90's model.. He's in Texas i see, he can hit up Tim Carroll who's now in Dallas/Forth Worth and occasionally has Caddies for sale with completely rebuilt engines

sasanford73
05-29-13, 04:48 PM
im just here to learn guys, no need for attitude,
i realize i need to find out what i like first, thats why im here, to ask the good people of america what they like and dont like,
and why,
so any and all information is appreciated,
im not a trustfund baby however i am in school for engineering, hopeing to start saving now so when i get out i can make short work of a full cash payment on the vehicle,
i enjoy the slowride laidback cruisers. something that signifies the american dream of working for what you get, appreciating where you came from,

that 70' coupe deville convertible is slick.

vincentm
05-29-13, 04:51 PM
im just here to learn guys, no need for attitude,
i realize i need to find out what i like first, thats why im here, to ask the good people of america what they like and dont like,
and why,
so any and all information is appreciated,
im not a trustfund baby however i am in school for engineering, hopeing to start saving now so when i get out i can make short work of a full cash payment on the vehicle,
i enjoy the slowride laidback cruisers. something that signifies the american dream of working for what you get, appreciating where you came from,

that 70' coupe deville convertible is slick.

Again, tells what model and year(s) you're looking at "signifies the american dream" doesn't tell us jack..

orconn
05-29-13, 05:04 PM
Get a 2003 Seville SLS; great looking, potentially less expensive to maintain .... and comes in diamond white!

cadillac kevin
05-29-13, 06:06 PM
Get a 77-79 deville or fleetwood coupe.....not available in diamond white, but they are stylish and classic!

vincentm
05-29-13, 06:22 PM
Get a Saab... 111697

talismandave
05-29-13, 09:17 PM
You have to understand we have membership that own everything from 30s Cadillac all the way to brand new ATS XTS and etc. Probably all believe their car "signifies the American dream of working for what you get, appreciating where you came from".

I'm in my mid fifties, the cars from the 80s and newer don't to me. For guys who are younger those cars are the cars of their youth. They mean to them what my 74 means to me.
....and none of us can know what that means to you.
No body is trying to give you attitude, but your question is like asking "How high is up?"
You will get a much different answer from a guy in the basement than a guy in the penthouse!

CadillacLuke24
05-29-13, 09:56 PM
If you want sporty, get a Seville STS. They can be fun.

If you want the classic Cadillac land yacht that eats up highway miles in incredible comfort, a DeVille is the car you want.

HAZZARDJOHN
05-30-13, 12:03 AM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/1988_Cadillac_Cimarron_zps34930863.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/Johnny1107/media/1988_Cadillac_Cimarron_zps34930863.jpg.html)

^That is the classiest Cadillac ever made. Only a true connoisseur with vision and impeccable taste can even handle the swagger that will naturally develop when you own a beauty like this (especially in pearl white), Woman will lose their clothes, and Men will not want to make eye contact for reasons they don't understand that originates in their loins. It is so choice! If you have the means I highly recommend you pick one up.

cadillac kevin
05-30-13, 12:23 AM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/1988_Cadillac_Cimarron_zps34930863.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/Johnny1107/media/1988_Cadillac_Cimarron_zps34930863.jpg.html)

^That is the classiest Cadillac ever made. Only a true connoisseur with vision and impeccable taste can even handle the swagger that will naturally develop when you own a beauty like this (especially in pearl white), Woman will lose their clothes, and Men will not want to make eye contact for reasons they don't understand that originates in their loins. It is so choice! If you have the means I highly recommend you pick one up.

SWEET!!!!! It's cadillac's version of an M3 sedan

talismandave
05-30-13, 12:58 AM
.....OK....now you're getting attitude......:histeric:

sasanford73
05-30-13, 12:58 AM
Yea I'm taking this learning curve as much as I can in my very limited spare time.

Sorry for being a little late to the party.
I think the deville is suited nicely to my tastes. I understand the DTS is the newer version basically. But man oh man do those convertibles attract my attention.

As far as mileage and problems and maintainence what do y'all suggest to watch for when shopping?

MoistCabbage
05-30-13, 01:51 AM
That varies WILDLY with what year/model you choose.

You need to narrow it down first:

How important are modern conveniences to you?
Gas mileage?
Handling?
Size (limited parking/storage space?) ?
Do you want a land yacht to cruise in, something exciting to drive, or something somewhere in between?

Forget specific models for now. What TYPE of car do you want?

And a Deville Touring Sedan is not even remotely close to being a "new version" of, say, the '70 you posted. The driving/owning experiences would be complete polar opposites.

brandondeleo
05-30-13, 02:09 AM

Omg I'm crying :lol:

Aztec ETC ECS
05-30-13, 10:35 AM
I'm in my mid fifties, the cars from the 80s and newer don't to me.
Said the Vulva driver. :Poke: (sorry, couldn't help it)

----------

That is so not funny that I'm peeing. (couldn't repost pic again)

I'm not getting what you're asking. Are you asking us what you should like??

basscatt
05-30-13, 07:17 PM

-------------------------
is that a Cadillac Skyhawk - or a Buick Cimarron - :stirpot:

---------------------

thanks - yes - SKYHAWK - not SKYLARK -

cadillac kevin
05-30-13, 07:36 PM
-------------------------
is that a Cadillac Skyhawk - or a Buick Cimarron - :stirpot:
FIXED....but you're still wrong
It's the best cavalier with leather seats ever made!!!!!!!

EChas3
05-30-13, 10:44 PM
Don't mind the critters. They bark but they really are friendly.

I'd look for a Eldorado convertable.

77CDV
06-01-13, 07:20 PM

OMG that's hilarious! :lol:

To the OP: if I read your intentions right, I'd suggest a 1980 to 1985 Deville/Fleetwood or 1986 to 1992 Brougham. They're large, classically styled, comfortable cars with loads of class and can be had for not much money. 1981-1985 have somewhat trouble-prone engines, but a 350 swap solves that (and I think is legal in TX). Broad, angular lines means lots of body to customize however you want, and they look excellent in pearl white. As a starter Caddy, they really can't be beat. Older models like that 70 convertible posted earlier cost bucks in good condition, and you don't want them in not good condition.

Good luck in your hunt! :)

Aztec ETC ECS
06-02-13, 05:06 PM
Get a Saab... 111697
Vin, Did you throw some Cimarron emblems on that Celebrity?

cadillac kevin
06-02-13, 05:41 PM
Vin, Did you throw some Cimarron emblems on that Celebrity?

That would be sacreligous.....demeaning a celebrity like that :)