: Just got back from a nice little road trip with the ESV

smelly$cat
05-28-13, 11:27 PM
Just got back from a nice road trip with the family.

03 ESV 174k+ on the clock now.

Boise to the Grand Canyon to Phoenix to L.A. (Disneyland) and back to Boise. 11 days.

2853 miles round trip
17.3 average mpg (mostly highway obviously but a fair amount of city driving when in Phoenix)
I drove from Boise to Phoenix averaging 18.7 mpg.
After a lot of city driving in Phoenix and driving to L.A. ended there at 17.6 mpg.
Still at 17.6 mpg from L.A. to UT.
Wife drove from UT to Boise today bringing it down to 17.3 (lots of head wind as usual)

Lots of cruise control usage. Usually turned it off on the hills so it wouldn't drop down to 3rd and guzzle. Did lots of driving at 80. Heck, the speed limit in parts of UT is 80. Sunday night in the flagstaff area of Arizona, I had to do 90 just to keep up with everyone.

While in Phoenix, the blower motor control module really showed how poorly it was working. Wife had mentioned she thought the fan and AC had been acting a bit funny the past few weeks. While in Phoenix, there were times when I started the truck and the fan wouldn't even come on, or would spin ubber slow even though I had it cranked.

Did some searching on here and went to the local chevy dealer in Glendale AZ. They got me for 109.00 out the door for the part. (saw them for much cheaper online, but, wanted to fix it right then) Installed it in a little under 1 hr. Huge difference! I don't think I have ever heard the fan blow as hard as it does now. The new part appears to be redesigned as well as the cooling fins on the module are much different. Still, 170k+ out of the original module is nothing to be upset about. I'm just happy the new module fixed the problem and I could install it myself.

Another thing I have noticed is that I'm at nearly 9k miles on this oil change (valvoline full synthetic) and the oil change reminder hasn't hit 0% yet. Still at 10% or so. I just checked the oil and it has burned 3/4 of 1 quart on the dip stick in that amount of miles. Still one notch above low. It's also not black. Just dark. I think that engine is still very healthy and should keep going for a long while to come. An oil change this week is in order though.

I had the tranny serviced before my trip (dropped the pan and changed the filter and fluid) ($125). First time I have serviced the tranny since I bought it with 110k on the clock. Guy said all looked well to him (this was a transmission shop I went to). He suggested changing the fluid every 30k. Seems like over kill to me. I haven't really noticed a difference in shifting performance (still good). (Previous owner said he had the tranny rebuilt around 95k, not sure to what degree as there was no paperwork).

Anyway, just an update. Haven't posted in a while. Still planning on keeping this ESV for the foreseeable future. :thumbsup:

the cadillac man
05-29-13, 12:52 AM
Just got back from a nice road trip with the family.

03 ESV 174k+ on the clock now.

Boise to the Grand Canyon to Phoenix to L.A. (Disneyland) and back to Boise. 11 days.

2853 miles round trip
17.3 average mpg (mostly highway obviously but a fair amount of city driving when in Phoenix)
I drove from Boise to Phoenix averaging 18.7 mpg.
After a lot of city driving in Phoenix and driving to L.A. ended there at 17.6 mpg.
Still at 17.6 mpg from L.A. to UT.
Wife drove from UT to Boise today bringing it down to 17.3 (lots of head wind as usual)

Lots of cruise control usage. Usually turned it off on the hills so it wouldn't drop down to 3rd and guzzle. Did lots of driving at 80. Heck, the speed limit in parts of UT is 80. Sunday night in the flagstaff area of Arizona, I had to do 90 just to keep up with everyone.

While in Phoenix, the blower motor control module really showed how poorly it was working. Wife had mentioned she thought the fan and AC had been acting a bit funny the past few weeks. While in Phoenix, there were times when I started the truck and the fan wouldn't even come on, or would spin ubber slow even though I had it cranked.

Did some searching on here and went to the local chevy dealer in Glendale AZ. They got me for 109.00 out the door for the part. (saw them for much cheaper online, but, wanted to fix it right then) Installed it in a little under 1 hr. Huge difference! I don't think I have ever heard the fan blow as hard as it does now. The new part appears to be redesigned as well as the cooling fins on the module are much different. Still, 170k+ out of the original module is nothing to be upset about. I'm just happy the new module fixed the problem and I could install it myself.

Another thing I have noticed is that I'm at nearly 9k miles on this oil change (valvoline full synthetic) and the oil change reminder hasn't hit 0% yet. Still at 10% or so. I just checked the oil and it has burned 3/4 of 1 quart on the dip stick in that amount of miles. Still one notch above low. It's also not black. Just dark. I think that engine is still very healthy and should keep going for a long while to come. An oil change this week is in order though.

I had the tranny serviced before my trip (dropped the pan and changed the filter and fluid) ($125). First time I have serviced the tranny since I bought it with 110k on the clock. Guy said all looked well to him (this was a transmission shop I went to). He suggested changing the fluid every 30k. Seems like over kill to me. I haven't really noticed a difference in shifting performance (still good). (Previous owner said he had the tranny rebuilt around 95k, not sure to what degree as there was no paperwork).

Anyway, just an update. Haven't posted in a while. Still planning on keeping this ESV for the foreseeable future. :thumbsup:

Dang you beat my average mpg on long trips(I don't use cruise control on hills either)

The tranny fluid should be ok as long as you don't do a lot of towing(then the schedule the guy mentioned should be followed)

the oil level drops like that on my 03 before I have the oil changed its normal so don't worry unless the low oil level message is on the info screen at start up
Use the oil life meter(button with gas pump on it)
Should show oil life xx%

The blower control module seems to be a common issue(yet to have it happen to me)

smelly$cat
05-29-13, 12:11 PM
Couple more details for the record

1. I used 85-87 octane on this trip. Whatever was cheapest when filling up. I paid as low as 3.3x and as high as 4.99 per gallon. (only bought 3 gallons at 4.99 to get me to my next stop lol)

2. What really tipped me off that the blower control module was failing was that the blower/fan kept running after I turned the car off and removed the key. The only way I could get it to stop was to disconnect the battery. (could have pulled a fuse too)

Sentinelist
05-29-13, 01:34 PM
Well done! Always happy to read stuff like this.

OneLuv1979
05-29-13, 02:02 PM
Is that with the 6.0L awd you got that mileage?
I have been filling up running the tank low then dividing mileage to gallons and have only 3 fill ups since I recently bought it..

11.22MPG / 11.74MPG & with a lil more highway then the last 2 tanks I achieved 14.28 MPG and was thrilled!
Your numbers sound crazy to me. I only have 43k miles on the clock.
What am I doing wrong?

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-29-13, 02:42 PM
Is that with the 6.0L awd you got that mileage?
I have been filling up running the tank low then dividing mileage to gallons and have only 3 fill ups since I recently bought it..

11.22MPG / 11.74MPG & with a lil more highway then the last 2 tanks I achieved 14.28 MPG and was thrilled!
Your numbers sound crazy to me. I only have 43k miles on the clock.
What am I doing wrong?

Hello OneLuv1979,

Congrats on your Escalade. Smelly$cat did seem to get high mileage on their vehicle. Maybe they will be able to share more insight to their MPG tricks. I hope you continue to enjoy your Escalade and if there are ever any concerns or issues you need help with, please reach out to us!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

smelly$cat
05-29-13, 05:20 PM
Yes, it's a 6.0 AWD. It has stock wheels and is lowered on a McNaughty kit. It does have a K&N intake and a flowmaster muffler. Else, the drive train is stock. I don't have too many tricks. I try not to use cruise on hills too much as it likes to make the tranny kick down to 3rd or unlock the torque converter (that kind of half down shift behavior), both of which drink more fuel. On hills, I stop the cc and just use my foot, letting the vehicle slow a bit if needed to crest the hill without downshifting. Then I kick in the cc on the down side of the hill and rack up tons of great MPG #'s. I like to keep the read out display on INST mileage and watch that #. The more often I can keep that # high, the higher my average MPG ends up being. Sometimes you don't have much choice and you just have to drop down to 3rd to get up a hill at a decent speed. These #'s I am talking about are all based on what the dash read out is telling me the average MPG is. I didn't do any manual cross checking to make sure it was accurate. I have done that in the past though and it was was within .1 which really shocked me. Obviously I reset all of the counters at the start of my trip. I also have a roof top carrier (drag).

smelly$cat
05-29-13, 05:29 PM
Here are 2 pics from my last road trip to Colorado

YoshiMan
05-29-13, 06:28 PM
I <3 Disneyland! I too am going to be taking my ESV on a road trip in about three weeks here. Been prepping it for the trip, changing all the fluids, and doing general upkeep. I am going to be going up through Yellow stone, Rapid city, Minnesota and back through nebraska, so i curious to see what it pulls on the flats. Whatever it is, if it can pull better than my old landcruiser (which barely could pull its own weight downhill for that matter) i'll be happy, and it already does that in town :)

smelly$cat
05-29-13, 06:31 PM
Sounds like a fun trip! I have a trip to Yellow stone planned for this summer as well!