: Question for All Please Reply

overplayed
01-22-05, 05:15 PM
I just bought my Catera in October and I am having problems with the front tires feathering on the outside edges. I know this is common but want to know what everone elses experience has been. I want all to reply and let me know how your tires are wearing, wether good or bad and also any thing you have done to help any problems with feathering or balding. I've heard of run the tires at the high speed tire pressure, stiffer shocks to help the camber. Let me know what you have done and how your tires are wearing.

Thanks Jeff

Al Leverick
01-22-05, 06:10 PM
I have a 98. Put new Michelins on at 58000. Have 64000 now with no apparent tire wear. I inflate to 32 psi cold with a digital gauge. Will rotate at 65000.

Al Leverick

overplayed
01-23-05, 06:15 PM
Only one person left with tires on there Catera.:eye: Let me hear from all who read this. Thanks .

Jeff

97Catera
01-23-05, 06:29 PM
i just got my catera i'll let you know how it does with tires once my part comes in from backorder

Vesicant
01-23-05, 09:59 PM
Ive rotated the tires at 47000 miles. Pirelli P4000 Sports on our 2000, on the car since we bought it used- certainly not stock optioned tires. Wear on the outside shoulders of the front tires and on the back there is wear in the middle. Seems normal to me.. but i am watching.

tOnE369
01-24-05, 10:58 AM
unfortunately, i did not get to see the tire wear on my '00 catera sport. just got it a lil' over a month ago. had on all season tires. my front right tire blew last tuesday (-32C) morning. i just got on the highway and i notice a vibration. stayed on the slow lane going at about 60km and it just went. not sure what caused it. will keep an eye out and let you know.

tOnE369

vogel81
01-24-05, 05:55 PM
I've got a 99 and have put on 30k miles since I've owned it. I have noticed a little tire wear on the inside of the front tires but it is not excessive. I have had it aligned twice and have rotated the tires about every 8k. I have noticed a little "feathering" with the front tires, but it hasn't been a problem.

cattydrvr
04-05-05, 08:11 PM
I got a 2000 rotate my tires every 6 mths...they look pretty even...

omermurat
04-05-05, 10:01 PM
I got my Catera (97) 2 years ago with 95K on the odo, and switched to 17" ATS Planet wheels shod with 235/45/17 Kumho Ecsta 711 directional tires after 2 months. Please note that I keep tires inflated to 37 psi and well aligned, and after 10K miles & 1 rotation there is no significant tire wear noticed. The NTB technician who performed the alignment had told me that these cars are well known with immature tire wear and did something "fine tuning"to the alingment last year. After that it's been a little numb and requires more attention to keep her on a straight line but no tire wear in return. The car still feels great but not as much as it used to be with its beaten 225/55/16 Michelin Pilots that I got rid of.

ErnieE
04-05-05, 10:15 PM
I just replaced my front tires on my 97 Catera. They were wearing out on the outside edge of the tire. I had it aligned and bought two Toyo's and the tech said to keep the air pressure up to about 40psi. It rides stiff but much smoother than before with the same tires. It also got rid of that humming noise between 0 and 35mph.

dwheeler
04-05-05, 10:59 PM
150K miles and about 1/2 through my 3rd set of tires. The first set wore funny but I had a Big-O alignment done and it seems fine now. The guy did tell me that the rear was a little out of align but that a dealer should do it. I never got around to it.

Chaztera
04-06-05, 01:44 PM
2001 Catera Sport, All 4 Kelly HP 150mph tires are fearher edge worn & make a noises
at vaious speeds. Looking to replace w/ Brigdestone Potenzas for a better ride & Snow
traction( here in UT).

jewelz
04-11-05, 12:14 PM
2000 Catera - purchased at 26k with original tires. Replaced at 45K back tires were completed worn inside someparts down to the threads. Currently at 56K; new tires are the same factory tires original to the car, have had two slow leaks on but other than that no noticiable or unusual wear.

Serobin88
04-12-05, 08:13 PM
Had similar problem. Had to replace a front tension bar/joint something that was worn. Also, I had the fron end aligned. Bough 4 tires from Big-O....Z-rated "Potenza". There is no funny wear pattern on these. So alignment and replacement of worn parts may help you on next set of tires, whatever brand.

jsrey79
04-16-05, 12:21 PM
hey got a 2000 catera, put new michelins a couple months back and havent been able to notice any bad wear on them. the old tires were worn bad (just got back from iraq and the ex didnt care for the car). so im in the rebuilding process, ill let you know if anything comes up with the tires

Timelode
04-18-05, 08:36 AM
The dealer put new Kumhos on when we bought our '99 at 68k last August. It now has 77k and aside from some feathering on the outer side of the left front tire, they are wearing better than most tires I've owned. It tends to drift to the left at times and I suspect it needs an alignment. It's also time to rotate.

jewelz
04-22-05, 02:03 PM
What exactly do you guys mean by feathering? The tires I recently purchased are Good Year 94 H Rated.

overplayed
04-26-05, 09:44 PM
http://www.lasercannon.com/images/Z/troubles/feathering/myfeather.jpgThis is what most refer to as feathering. Mine does it on the outside edge of both front tires.

Jerry Davies
05-01-05, 03:56 PM
I've had my 1999 for a couple of years, drive mostly freeway in California. My tires still look brand new.

caddlovers
05-20-05, 12:36 PM
1.Outer tie-rod replacement (recommended)-both sides
2.Good Alignment required
3.Maintain tire presure
.........and you can use new all-seasons tires almost 2 years !

overplayed
05-21-05, 10:02 AM
I had the front end components and alignment checked twice by the Cadillac dealership and I still get feathering. They said that the feathering was characteristic of the Catera.