: i went back to the dealer today and i couldnt believe what i seen

Adam
01-22-05, 05:02 PM
i went to this dealership in Bristol today looking for a new car seeing as im trading in my Lincoln. there were tons of old TCs and Continentals and what all. i asked the salesman how he had acquired all of these old Lincolns (there were a few lacs too). he said that the guy who owns this car lot, his father owned a huge Ford Lincoln and Mercury dealership back in the 80s. it closed down in 91 and he had stored these vehicles in a garage outside of Kingsport. now K town has been doing some zoning stuff and i guess ran across it (these cars werent there a week ago). i looked at a few of them, some were brand new and only had 20-40 miles on them. there were a few Caddies (mainly Devilles and one FWD Fleetwood) that were used and had about well the lowest was 1,400 and the highest i think was around 15,000. there were 5 TCs, 3 or 4 Continentals (one was a coupe so i think it was a Mark something), and 6 Caddies. all of wich were mint condition. they replaced the batteries and the oil and gas in all of them. they wanted a pretty pricey amount for some of them. i just thought it was pretty cool and figured id share it with you guys. i cant remember the name of the dealership and they dont have a website im sure (they arent on tpost which is were most of the local dealerships are on except for the big ones). it was an independent dealer to.

Ralph
01-22-05, 05:18 PM
So did they all have fairly low mileage from sitting around?

That goes to show you how rare those Eldos are becomming, because fwd Devilles are so common it seems.

It would be neat to see a link if the dealership had pics of them.

Adam
01-22-05, 05:29 PM
yeah they were stored in a garage back in 91 and were just found. the salesman said they came from Kingsport from a garage (must have been a big garage). anyways, i am guessing the city of Kingsport got in touch with the guys son or maybe him and inquired about the garage (it was in a hidden area) and they got all the cars. i guess anyway, i dont know the full story but most of them were brand new. they were emaculate too, man they were nice. no they dont have a website. most indy dealerships dont and they sell on tpost so. they were wanting like 5-6k for most of them. the Caddies were going for like 2-3 thousand. pretty nice cars though. the Fleetwood (FWD) wasnt in the greatest shape though (nothing compared to yours Ralph). the skirts were separating from the body and a little rust in a spot or two (i guess from sitting for so long i dont know).

Sandy
01-22-05, 06:24 PM
Was the Fleetwood a Sedan or a Coupe ?
"Kingsport" is in what state ?? Tenn. or Indiana

majax
01-22-05, 07:11 PM
You think the guy who lost his dealership in '91 would have sold those cars to other dealerships. Wow! that is so amaxing:coolgleam That lot must look like a flash back too 13 years ago.

Adam
01-22-05, 08:04 PM
Was the Fleetwood a Sedan or a Coupe ?
"Kingsport" is in what state ?? Tenn. or Indiana

it was a Sedan. it said Fleetwood on the back quarter panel. wasnt a Deville although i thought it was at first. Tennessee. i dont remember the name of the dealership. it was a small lot. it had like 25 cars maybe. it is actually just down the road from the hospital. Shipletts i think is the name, Shipletts Auto, something like that.

yeah, it caught my eye. i was there a week ago and they had a 'burban that i was interested in and a 98 TC but they didnt have that beauty.

i asked one of the guys i work with just a second ago and it is called Shipletts Auto. i tried looking it up on the net and it didnt turn anything up. i tried tpost also.

Adam
01-22-05, 08:14 PM
are you interested in a car Sandy? they have a few cars like that at Kingsport Motors also (wich is on tpost.com but thry dont have any advertised). they arent nothing new like the ones i saw today. although i wouldnt buy one of the TCs, they were really nice. the salesman who i was talking to seemed like a back hills country redneck kinda guy. his name was Bob.

Sandy
01-22-05, 08:38 PM
I am looking for a 1992 Fleetwood Coupe in mint or near mint condition, but NOT a white one. White leather is okay, but NOT white exterior. Otherwise any color will do. Options are not important, whatever it has....it has!

Adam
01-22-05, 08:44 PM
next time i go back ill look for you. if i remember correctly it was a blueish color. there was a seperation from the skirts that wasnt to great and a rust spot here or there but ill look for you next time i go. probably monday maybe. ill let you know the mileage and everything. i didnt really look at the Fleetwood. just kinda drove by it. ill let ya know. now the salesman said most of the Caddys had low mileage and i didnt really inquire about the Fleet. how come you dont want a RWD Fleetwood? just to ask.

SHERIFF
01-22-05, 08:57 PM
There's an old man in Orange County, Virginia who has a very large barn. Yes, barn! :) It's the largest barn I have ever seen in my life. Anyhow, he has lost interest in the hobby now, but even so, he won't sell anything in the barn at any price. Obviously, the stuff in the barn increases in value every single day.

OK, so..... what's in the barn? One of just about every high performance car you can imagine from the late 60's and 70's. Every single one of them is in mint condition and original, with nothing more than cat prints in the dust accummalated on them (cats to keep the mice away).

He has Chargers, Cudas, Coronet R/Ts, Corvettes, Boss 302s, Mach I's, Trans Ams, Camaros, AMX and Javelins, Oldsmobile 442s, etc..... You name it, it's in there. You can spend a week in there just looking at the cars and studying them.

-----------------------------------

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/843/cforum.jpg

Sandy
01-22-05, 10:46 PM
next time i go back ill look for you. if i remember correctly it was a blueish color. there was a seperation from the skirts that wasnt to great and a rust spot here or there but ill look for you next time i go. probably monday maybe. ill let you know the mileage and everything. i didnt really look at the Fleetwood. just kinda drove by it. ill let ya know. now the salesman said most of the Caddys had low mileage and i didnt really inquire about the Fleet. how come you dont want a RWD Fleetwood? just to ask.

IT HAS TO BE A COUPE .... NO SEDAN >>>> COUPE !! FWD Fleetwood COUPE.
(It's what my wife wants!!) like this.........
http://www.swiss-limousine.ch/images/cad92fltwcpe_1.jpg
NOTE: Skirts & Opera Lamps are standard & only on Fleetwood Coupes !

Adam
01-25-05, 05:13 PM
sorry Sandy, i didnt look this weekend. but i do remember it was a sedan:( . had four doors i counted them. oh, i wont be getting that Eldo ETC i was talking about in that other thread. it was sold Saturday and now my dad doesnt want me to get rid of it. he wanted me to and now he doesnt. he cant make up his mind about it. i did find a black Eldo (not sure if it is an ETC, and im not sure of the year either). doesnt matter anyway, wont be getting a new car until probably mid to late summer.

Elvis
01-25-05, 06:13 PM
What model years are we talking about here? Late 80's? Early 90's?

BTW, Kingsport/Bristol is exactly 500 miles from my front door. Probably closer to New Jersey than it is to me. :( Tennessee is one LONG state.

Adam
01-25-05, 09:09 PM
they were mostly 89-91s? old and newer (well the previous body style). the Caddies were all Devilles with the exception of a FWD Fleetwood. i was actually hoping there would be a Coupe Deville. i have only seen one in real life. it was here at the hospital actually. had a fifth wheel and everything.

youre that close to me Elvis? it takes 4 hours to get to Nashville from my house. about how long would it take for a trip up here. i hate going through Knoxville. thats what takes the longest. Memphis eh? well, we are both at the far ends of the state huh?

Elvis
01-26-05, 09:48 AM
Nashville is about 200 miles, I can make it in about 3:15 if I push it. Come to think of it, I haven't tried since they raised the speed limit back to 75. It's been a while.

I spent some time in Bristol/Kingsport back in '91. SmithKline-Beecham used to have a big telemarketing center there. They were pushing Amoxil back then, it was the hottest antibiotic around. I sold them a computer system.

HotRodSaint
01-26-05, 11:38 AM
Nashville is about 200 miles, I can make it in about 3:15 if I push it. Come to think of it, I haven't tried since they raised the speed limit back to 75. It's been a while.

I've done it a few times in about 2:30.

It's another 2:15 to Knoxville, and another 1:30 to Kingsport.

But then, speed limits are not fully obeyed when I drive.

I need to work on that oneday!

Adam
01-26-05, 04:09 PM
were did you live in TN HRS? i moved down here a couple years ago Elvis so when you were here, i was still in Michigan.

Ralph
01-26-05, 08:19 PM
were did you live in TN HRS? i moved down here a couple years ago Elvis so when you were here, i was still in Michigan.

"Thunder Road" whereever that is. ;) That's what he had under his name.

Adam
01-26-05, 08:22 PM
i think that is Bristol (probably talking about BMS), its either Thunder Road or Thunder Valley. i dont remember. i havent been to the track in 2 almost three years. im not a race fan. but Bristol isnt an hour and 30 minutes from Ktown (Kingsport, also Knoxvilles nickname).

youbetcha77
02-07-05, 03:06 PM
I just called there to Shipletts Wholesale cars in Bristol and they had no idea what I was talking about. They havent had any low mileage cars from the early 90's for a while they said. Are you sure thats who it is?

Blaze

Adam
02-08-05, 06:26 PM
i havent been there in a while. when i was last there they did. im pretty sure it was Shipletts Auto (not wholesale). i asked one of the guys i work with and he said yeah. try calling Kingsport Motors, i know they have a few but i dont know the mileage on them. i am gonna drive by it next time im off and see. i swear they were there. did you call Bristol TN or VA? they are in TN.

youbetcha77
02-08-05, 07:03 PM
Tennessee and the guy said he is down the road from the hospital. He didnt know what the heck I was talking about.

Blaze

Hoop
02-08-05, 07:49 PM
Dont dealers have to pay taxes on vehicles though?

youbetcha77
02-08-05, 07:53 PM
I have my dealer license here in Missouri, but it is for used cars. New car dealers have to pay 1% of invoice a month. So a 30,000 car sitting on the lot would cost them 300 a month.

Blaze

Adam
02-08-05, 09:12 PM
damn dude i swear i seen them. i guess it wasnt Shipletts. :( like i said, try Kingsport Motors cause they have a few of those old Lincolns and a few Caddies also. i dont know their number either. i can probably look it up for ya. maybe those cars were sold to Bristol Auto Auction. try them. but i swear i seen them.