: 06 V Mod Questions

JB_V
05-28-13, 10:30 PM
First, I would like to say hello to everyone in this forum. I've been looking for some time and have gotten a good deal of information from the posts/replies. I picked up my 06 STS-V and am ready to start the search for some extra power. I did exchange emails with TimmyC and also have spoken to Jesse at wait 4 me. A few questions I would love your input on are:

I am in Denver and wondering if anyone could recommend in a Tuner around here?

I am thinking of doing the 2.4 pulley/intake/injectors upgrade, but uncertain about the bigger throttle body - any suggestions?

Anyone here running methanol injection? And if so, what type of results are you getting. I spoke with Snow performance and they claim to have great results with the CTS-Vs.

Also thinking about running a small (wet system) of Nitrous - maybe 75hp. Anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks in advance for the input. I can really use the help on the tuner piece given I really don't know where to go locally and want someone who knows what they are doing.

-John

Psycho-albanian
05-28-13, 10:59 PM
Timmmyc products are all worth the money I have his 2
4 pulley, headers, and heat exchanger they are all awesome. Jesse is a pro when it comes to tuning our cars real nice guy and so is his wife

----------

Timmmyc products are all worth the money I have his 2
4 pulley, headers, and heat exchanger they are all awesome. Jesse is a pro when it comes to tuning our cars real nice guy and so is his wife

----------

Timmys throttle body is good also .

1madstsv
05-29-13, 12:00 AM
I have run meth but it will not help very much with the lower boost cars -16 psi I was at 19.5 with my set up and IT helped cool it down but not much in hp only +10hp For $750. As for nos I think I might try it with the new car. I'm now spraying my vette so I might as well spray the v. It should be ok if you tune for it and have a strong runing car.

Carlosg
05-29-13, 08:14 AM
What do you consider a strong running car. I always wonder why nobody has done this.

1madstsv
05-29-13, 11:39 AM
If you can go 3000+ miles with out adding oil. The rings should still be good to hold the extra power. And to be safe with it you need to tune for it which means pulling timing which is going to take away power when not spraying do 99.5% of the time.

Carlosg
05-29-13, 10:08 PM
So would you recommend on a daily driver.

TimmyC
05-30-13, 01:19 AM
You have to be careful with a wet system because the transmission shifts based on delivered torque. A wet nitrous system will increase torque dramatically without the computer's knowledge and could cause slip during shifts. I have not tried it so I can't say for sure.

Guy.Seminerio
05-30-13, 02:05 AM
Tim can you please describe in detail what slip is during a shift? I have a thing on my car when I go from 3-4 on moderate acceleration at around 25-30 mph that I believe might be slip. Car takes longer to shift. During the shift rpms jump a bit and then come back down as if its finally "catching." This noticeably and annoyingly disrupts forward movement. Thanks.

pwrsix
05-30-13, 08:20 AM
Tim can you please describe in detail what slip is during a shift? I have a thing on my car when I go from 3-4 on moderate acceleration at around 25-30 mph that I believe might be slip. Car takes longer to shift. During the shift rpms jump a bit and then come back down as if its finally "catching." This noticeably and annoyingly disrupts forward movement. Thanks.

I have a similar "thing" with my car. When accelerating the car seems to "slip" or miss something. The car slows and then catches back up with itself. It doesnt do this all the time but usually when you give it more gas than normal from a stop. "Noticeable and annoying"...exactly.

PGA2B
05-30-13, 10:33 AM

That is a "Shift Flare". Do you have a tune? Tim can correct me but I believe it is air getting trapped in the shift valve. VERY common problem. Mine does it just after I flash a tune and then gradually goes away. You might try to unhook your battery for a couple of hours or over night and that will reset the ECM. Unless you have a tuner and then you can just reflash your tune to the car.

Guy.Seminerio
05-30-13, 12:40 PM
Ill try the battery unhook thing. My car has no modifications on it.

pwrsix
05-30-13, 12:50 PM
I dont have any mods either. Guy, let me know if the battery unhook works. Glad Im not the only one with this problem.

JB_V
05-30-13, 12:54 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Anyone know of any tuners in or by the Denver area?

Guy.Seminerio
05-30-13, 01:26 PM
Ok I'll do it overnight.

Guy.Seminerio
05-30-13, 08:17 PM
Ok battery is disconnected. Ill report back on this tomorrow.

pwrsix
05-30-13, 09:59 PM
Hey Guy, I think we kinda jacked this thread. Sorry op.

JB_V
05-31-13, 02:54 PM
All good. Hoping someone has a recommendation for Tuner around here.

boomys10
05-31-13, 03:02 PM
no idea around there, but I do know the TB isn't worth the money. only adds about 3 to 5 hp. if car wasn't supercharged I would say get it, but say that 400 and get a heat xchanger and better pump.

JB_V
05-31-13, 03:26 PM
Appreciate the info on the throttle body - was leaning that way. Anyone have before an after numbers from the intercooler Timmy offers? I remember reading an article where the IATs were actually worse when the stock was replaced with Flexalite 45321 :

http://caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-sts-v-intercooler-heat-exchanger-install/

rbzstsv
05-31-13, 03:55 PM
I don't have numbers but with timc's heat exchanger I see a noticeable difference from stock.

Guy.Seminerio
05-31-13, 10:07 PM
Yeah we're definitely completely changing the subject of this thread. Sorry guys. Anyone who is interested in the "shift flare" sidebar that erupted during this thread please click on the link below. We'll continue this there.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/299706-cadillac-sts-v-shift-flare.html#post3419658

1madstsv
06-01-13, 12:58 AM
Tim's heat exchanger is much better it's more like the stock one just 3x biger. I had a smaller one on my 06 and it worked very well. But you don't gain hp from it. But you will be able to make back to back runs and not loose power. Were stock you might run a 13.2@106 1 time and after that you will just keep going slower till you let the car sit a cool down. But with a biger fmhx you will still only run 13.2@106 but you might be able to do 3-4 back to back runs at 13.2 before it slows down. I could with my old set up. Made 5 back to back passes with out any negative out come.

JB_V
06-01-13, 10:23 AM
Great information - I'll add the intercooler to the list.

Also, might have found a potential tuner - J&S performance and Tuning. I need to visit them in person to get a better idea. I'll keep folks posted - just in case others around the Denver area are looking for someone.

TimmyC
06-01-13, 11:09 AM
no idea around there, but I do know the TB isn't worth the money. only adds about 3 to 5 hp. if car wasn't supercharged I would say get it, but say that 400 and get a heat xchanger and better pump.

Let's get our info straight here. If you are talking about running the 85mm with the stock pulley, then it is not going to be worth the money, but when combined with a 2.4 pulley it adds 11rwhp over the pulley alone. The more power you make the more you need a bigger throttle body.

rbzstsv
06-02-13, 10:05 AM
I sure have felt a huge difference every time I've added new TimC aftermarket parts. The h.e as stated before makes a huge difference. I would see plus 210° temps after a few spirited pulls. Now the warmest its gets is 190° to 200 °max. With a new jabsco pump going in this week I hope to see even better temps with added flow. I would recommend Pming TimC or posting like you did with any question his parts. He has been awesome to work while modifying my V.

JB_V
06-03-13, 10:47 AM
Timmy - thanks. I've pretty got my list. What is the best way to contact you to find out more around payments and a few other questions?

boomys10
06-03-13, 01:13 PM
i had the smaller pulley on mine and it made 3 to 5 hp difference removing the tb and replacing with stock. my pulley was 2.55 not 2.4 but that wasnt available at the time. im sharing my expirence with him that was had one a dyno. he would be better off getting the heat xchanger and pump over the tb. gotta fix the timing pulling issue before trying to add 100hp. :)

TimmyC
06-04-13, 07:43 PM
i had the smaller pulley on mine and it made 3 to 5 hp difference removing the tb and replacing with stock. my pulley was 2.55 not 2.4 but that wasnt available at the time. im sharing my expirence with him that was had one a dyno. he would be better off getting the heat xchanger and pump over the tb. gotta fix the timing pulling issue before trying to add 100hp. :)

That's about right, the 85mm is more of a supporting mod. It adds more the faster the blower spins. Definitely worth the money on a 2.4" pulley with an intake and injectors.

I forgot to add that my PMs are screwed up because my vendor subscription ran out and I'm having trouble getting it renewed. I'm in contact with someone and we are getting it fixed. You can email me at t_coel@yahoo.com instead.

boomys10
06-05-13, 05:48 PM
jeez. lettign your stuff expire. good lord timmy