: Thinking of Autocrossing the V Wagon

dennych
05-28-13, 09:39 PM
Hey guys,

I'm considering autocrossing the Vwagon for the first time and was wondering if anyone had any advice.
http://www.speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=429

Never autocrossed before except with mfr's cars at events. Anything in particular for prep I should take care of?

All I know thusfar is make sure to have a helmet and remove the fuses for the airbags.

spearfish25
05-29-13, 10:02 AM
Have fun and fully turn off traction and stability control. It's a great way to learn the cars limits and handling. Let me know how the fuse pulling goes...very worthwhile prevention though its weird the V blows its bags under 1G of driving loads.

You'll find the wagon is a very large car for auto cross. The torque will help but the lack of nimbleness will keep it from being competitive. It's in the same class as 5.0 mustangs which will trounce it.

sfvagon
05-29-13, 01:48 PM
It's not quite the same as autocross, but I took my V Wagon to a couple of HPDE events hosted by Hooked on Driving. It's not competitive, but you do get to drive on real race tracks, you get instruction, and it's a friendly atmosphere. What I lost on the corners I made up for on the straights. It was a lot of fun! http://www.hookedondriving.com/

V Wagon
05-29-13, 01:51 PM
I've found it to be reasonably competitive at least locally in auto x, though i have a lot of auto x'ing experience in other not well suited for auto x, highish HP, RWD vehicles (engine swapped 94 Tbird and a Lightning).

dennych
05-29-13, 01:57 PM
yeah, I don't expect to be killing it at autocross of course given the weight. But I just wanted to have fun tossing it around somewhere relatively safe. I'd love a track day but they get exponentially more expensive from what I hear and far more risk of causing damage to the vehicle. Maybe after a few autocross runs I'll have the confidence to join one of the cadillac challenge events.

Chrispy
05-29-13, 05:22 PM
I used to autocross a 2010 STI. I thought about autocrossing the V but it's just so big and heavy. I'm planning on lapping instead, it's more along the lines of what the car was designed to do :)

BTW you don't need to go 10/10ths on the track. Even 7/10ths in this car is a total blast, just put in good brake fluid :)

dennych
06-04-13, 05:58 PM
Hmmmmmm

Seems like the consensus is auto crossing it might be a waste? The reason I was leaning towards it is it's easier on the car and less expensive overall.

Random84
06-04-13, 06:46 PM
It's only a waste ifyour trying to win or get the fastest time of the day. You know the limitations already so you can go in to a track day to just have fun - and that's what its about imho.

sfvagon
06-04-13, 11:34 PM
I'm not trying to schill the HPDE events, but you do get to go on a proper race track to really let the car stretch its legs - long straights, high speed corners and sometimes a hairpin or two depending on the track. It's loads of fun, there's no passing allowed, there's an instructor with the rookie drivers, and there's very strict safety standards. I would guess that the risks of damaging your car are higher on a California daily commute than at one of these HPDE events :)

dennych
06-05-13, 01:44 AM
I'm not trying to schill the HPDE events, but you do get to go on a proper race track to really let the car stretch its legs - long straights, high speed corners and sometimes a hairpin or two depending on the track. It's loads of fun, there's no passing allowed, there's an instructor with the rookie drivers, and there's very strict safety standards. I would guess that the risks of damaging your car are higher on a California daily commute than at one of these HPDE events :)

Noticed they have one in early august at the speedway. maybe I'll check it out

brent38
06-05-13, 08:40 AM
DO IT & Have Fun!

:)

Zhariak
06-05-13, 09:19 AM
Have fun and fully turn off traction and stability control. It's a great way to learn the cars limits and handling. Let me know how the fuse pulling goes...very worthwhile prevention though its weird the V blows its bags under 1G of driving loads.

You'll find the wagon is a very large car for auto cross. The torque will help but the lack of nimbleness will keep it from being competitive. It's in the same class as 5.0 mustangs which will trounce it.

Serious? The airbags deploy if you hit 1G?

thebigjimsho
06-05-13, 09:45 AM
Hmmmmmm

Seems like the consensus is auto crossing it might be a waste? The reason I was leaning towards it is it's easier on the car and less expensive overall.

Buying a V and not wringing it out is a waste.

If you can master a road course but are clueless on an autocross course, then you don't truly know how to drive your car.

When we had V Day I at Summit Point Shenandoah, some complained it wasn't good for the V as it was tight with few good straights. I think that's a copout. I enjoyed making the heavy V manage the tight sections.

If you only want to do what your car is best at and not its worst, you are a frontrunner and a poser.

Get it on that autocross RIGHT MEOW!

----------

Serious? The airbags deploy if you hit 1G?

No. There was one freak occurrence. My V had readings of 1.45g and I was throwing it so violently on my last autocross course, OnStar called thinking I was in an accident...

Chrispy
06-05-13, 01:13 PM
You can pull the airbag fuse and not have to worry.

If you're lapping I'd recommend leaving it in comp mode and not completely TCS off. It gives you a bit of wiggle room if you get out of shape.

Zhariak
06-05-13, 03:07 PM
Buying a V and not wringing it out is a waste.

If you can master a road course but are clueless on an autocross course, then you don't truly know how to drive your car.

When we had V Day I at Summit Point Shenandoah, some complained it wasn't good for the V as it was tight with few good straights. I think that's a copout. I enjoyed making the heavy V manage the tight sections.

If you only want to do what your car is best at and not its worst, you are a frontrunner and a poser.

Get it on that autocross RIGHT MEOW!

----------

No. There was one freak occurrence. My V had readings of 1.45g and I was throwing it so violently on my last autocross course, OnStar called thinking I was in an accident...

Oh ok, sounds good! hahaha :)

I've gotten up to .96 on the G-meter... When that was posted, It freaked me out thinking I was 0.04G's from airbags deploying, lmao.

Dr. Design
06-05-13, 04:57 PM
Hello,

Sounds like fun. They put on great events. Maybe reach out to one of the Challenge drivers to see if they will go with you. One thing that we have noticed about people trying to teach other people about tracking this car, is that most people don't understand the characteristics of a 4200lbs high powered RWD car like the Caddy. The car is capable in stock trim. Just see what it does first and learn from that experience. Once you get the first one under your belt there has already been a trail blazed for you to follow!

Here is another V owner when he first started to autox his car.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/myFirstAutocross-1_zps90596cdf.jpg

Here is the same car after he decided he wanted more.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/544843_437290349688102_1238541554_n.jpg

In regards to the air bags and their "deployment", please PM us and we can let you know under exactly what conditions it would happen. Please don't be alarmed as it is not going to deploy when you instantly hit 1G.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Hey guys,

I'm considering autocrossing the Vwagon for the first time and was wondering if anyone had any advice.
http://www.speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=429

Never autocrossed before except with mfr's cars at events. Anything in particular for prep I should take care of?

All I know thusfar is make sure to have a helmet and remove the fuses for the airbags.

----------

Did you have your fuse in? What tires were you running?

Unfortunately there was much more than just (1) occurrence... :hide:

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

dennych
06-06-13, 04:49 AM
[/COLOR]Did you have your fuse in? What tires were you running?

Unfortunately there was much more than just (1) occurrence... :hide:

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Didn't happen to me, just heard the infamous story and saw the video. People just recommended to take the fuse out. Running stock tires. Also Your picture comparison looks like a dangerous slippery slope :)

Dr. Design
06-06-13, 03:30 PM
PM sent.

As for the slope... To his defense it took him about a year to work up to that level. But he is also now enjoying his CTS-V to the level in which he desires! :bouncy:

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Didn't happen to me, just heard the infamous story and saw the video. People just recommended to take the fuse out. Running stock tires. Also Your picture comparison looks like a dangerous slippery slope :)

spearfish25
06-07-13, 08:41 PM
You should absolutely autocross the V. Just because it's not a Lotus Exige doesn't mean it can't hold its own or make you a better driver. Frankly, I think taking it out to an autocross is a MUST DO just to understand the handling dynamics better. See how it turns in, understeers, oversteers, handles a throttle mash in a corner, manages trail braking, etc. To be a better high speed driver, you need to do autocross and HPDEs. Do only HPDEs and you'll take forever to (or never) learn car control. Do a lot of autocross first and you'll be prepared to easily save slides or mishaps at an HPDE much more readily.

Xaqtly
06-07-13, 08:48 PM
As a counterpoint, the CTS-V was born on the Nurburgring, not in a parking lot. :)

Dr. Design
06-07-13, 09:42 PM
LOL. There are great advantages to both platforms. It never hurts to learn how to catch a 4200 lbs RWD vehicle when the back end decides to step out on you. We play catch in our car several times in just a 20 minute stint, granted it happens at some pretty scary speeds. The important thing is to learn the car. Whether you do that on a closed course, HPDE, AutoX, every bit of track time helps.

Alan of CTSVRACING.COM is a really good driver and I don't recall him hitting the autoX. He is now an instructor on the East Coast. But again it depends on the driver too. At the end of the day just have fun and drive within your abilities.

As a counterpoint, the CTS-V was born on the Nurburgring, not in a parking lot. :)

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

thebigjimsho
06-08-13, 12:42 AM

And how much time has YOUR V spent in a parking lot vs Nurburgring?

----------

Also, its safer and easier to hit the limits on an autocross. And you can push the V past it. Do that on a track?

There is not one person who has done an autocross and would discredit it. Unless they were clueless to what they do behind the wheel...

Xaqtly
06-08-13, 01:36 AM
Little defensive there Jim? The V was very literally designed and tuned for big fast tracks. You can autox in a V, it just won't be very good at it, as slow sharp turns are not the V's forté. Besides, I never said anything was wrong with autox. The V just works better on a track.

thebigjimsho
06-09-13, 07:17 PM
Little defensive there Jim? The V was very literally designed and tuned for big fast tracks. You can autox in a V, it just won't be very good at it, as slow sharp turns are not the V's forté. Besides, I never said anything was wrong with autox. The V just works better on a track.

Then go get a Vette. Or get a Miata to autocross.

One should be going to a track to learn and be a better driver, no matter the car...