: Car Battery voltage reading 11.8 when off is this bad?

MattM23
05-28-13, 09:50 PM
Yea I go out and check my battery voltage on the DIC and it is reading 11.8 after car been sitting for a day and is off is that bad? do I need to get a new battery?

Thanks

----------

also when im checking this on the DIC the radio is on and inside lights and outside lights are on also

wmillar
05-28-13, 10:00 PM
11.8 is what my battery was last month before I bought a new one, because if I would listen to the radio for just a few minutes the car wouldn't start. I replaced it with a new battery, checked it tonight and it was 12.6, and it has been sitting for 4 ,hours.

The replacement battety for an AC Delco is 48PG it has 770 CCA.

jeffc83
05-28-13, 11:57 PM
FWIW, I purchased a battery from BJ's two weeks ago and am happy with it. (I can now keep the radio on for the full ten minutes of accessory power...ah, the small joys in life) Easy install and only cost me just over a hundred bucks...personally, I'm not keeping my CTS for more than another year so cheap was the best way to go.

I just noticed you have a 2009...seems a little early but the voltage is a good early warning sign.

Tbbt
05-29-13, 12:24 AM
MattM23,

Look up a thread called 'Battery Challenge' in General Discussions and read my post #12. Low Voltage could be the battery or even your alternator or fan belt. If you have questions, post them and I'll respond.

Marv