: Here's the plan,V freaks...

SBONES
01-22-05, 09:11 AM
WE drive the schwag car we paid for, for 1 year. Trade it on the stsv, problems solved. No hop, tranny noise, singing in the dash, and the gay vibration at 80 that everybody got. And best of all its tip-tronic tranny. Hope i didnt affend anybody, just my thoughts. Its an all around good car w/ 440 hp:hmm: :banghead:

01-22-05, 09:19 AM
as long as it has a six speed manual transmisson, is about $50K, and I don't take the mother of all baths on my trade-in, I'm IN! (and Corsa or B&B has to offer exhaust systems!)

Saw a black STS (looked like a V, but couldn't have been) in Irvine the other day on my way to the airport to return to slush. It DID look nice......
doug

CVP33
01-22-05, 11:32 AM
STS base is a great looking car, but the same problem with the STS-V. It's just not worth $15-$20K more than a CTS. It's not that much larger. Sorry, I'm just not interested. Now if it's only $5-$7K then we gotta problem.

PneuBird
01-22-05, 12:34 PM
I don't want bigger.....I want FASTER!!!! :yup: Not to mention a six speed!!!

Vrocks
01-22-05, 01:03 PM
My V is great, I don't have any of the problems mentioned above.

The STS-V will be a shade faster than my CTS-V in a straight line, and it'll have a more subdued ride. The CTS-V is barely aggressive enough for my taste and for $65-70,000 I'll get the new Z06 Corvette. :yup:

Geno
01-22-05, 11:59 PM
Ditto VRocks comments, I don't have any of the aforementioned problems. I just don't understand the constant talk about the rear wheel hop, I run the cr*p out of my car (regularly visiting the rev limiter) but never bounce the rear. I don't doubt other people aren't having the problem, it's just that I haven't found it to be an issue. Maybe I'm not hammering it enough.:D

Also, I don't think the STS-V will outrun the real and original V, because it's a lot heavier and it's got an automatic. Also I was watching Motorweek the other day and they said the STS-V was offered in a FWD and 4WD configuration. FWD doesn't provide the weight transfer of a RWD and 4WD has a lot more parasitic loses.

Vrocks
01-23-05, 12:10 AM
Also I was watching Motorweek the other day and they said the STS-V was offered in a FWD and 4WD configuration. FWD doesn't provide the weight transfer of a RWD and 4WD has a lot more parasitic loses.

Motorweek is definitely wrong! FWD is long gone for the STS, the STS-V would be perfect with 4WD. From everything I've read and seen, including GM's intro @ the NAIAS, indicated the STS-V will be RWD only.

SBONES
01-23-05, 12:44 PM
what do you ya mean you dont have wheel hop. Go out,today,hammer 2nd. It will bounce you right out of your sunroof. Im 31yrs, i dont drive crazy, but i didnt buy a car of this caliber to cruse around in. I bought it to smoke my buddys m5....

bones

msheri01
01-23-05, 12:45 PM
Rear wheel drive only, and the STS-V will be a supercharged Northstar. This car will be directed more toward the folks who do not or do not want to drive a manual trans. It is a six speed, but a six speed automatic with manual shift capability. This is the same trans that GM builds for BMW, so those who have driven the Bimmer know what to expect.

Vrocks
01-23-05, 12:57 PM
what do you ya mean you dont have wheel hop. Go out,today,hammer 2nd. It will bounce you right out of your sunroof. Im 31yrs, i dont drive crazy, but i didnt buy a car of this caliber to cruse around in. I bought it to smoke my buddys m5....bones

Well, Geno said he doesn't have hop problems at all, and I mentioned that I didn't suffer from the problems mentioned in the first post (hop was mentioed). I do have wheel hop (mostly in the rain), but it doesn't show up under dry pavement rolling acceleration runs. Maybe my V is weaker than some of the other V's, because it'll chirp the tires on a very hard 1-2 shift, never on a 2-3 shift. If I had a video camera I'd record it for you, just so you could see that I'm seriously hammering the car.

The tires will spin for a second after the 1-2 shift but there's absolutely zero wheel hop. Nothing has been changed on my car, except for the Stealth V CAGS eliminator.

Geno
01-23-05, 01:51 PM
Daaah...my mistake. I was watching a Motorweek episode about the regular STS not the V, but they did mistakenly say the STS (non-V) had FWD. I'm still skeptical about the STS-V ability to beat a CTS-V. We'll see.....:suspense:

CVP33
01-23-05, 06:03 PM
Vrocks,

You may in fact have a weak V. After about 4,000 miles my '04 really came alive. I began "chirping" 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shifts pretty regularly. The '05 definitely feels livelier than the '04. As far as wheel hop goes I can pretty much induce it at will in either 1st or 2nd gear. The only remedy I found is to have the car "out of shape". Somehow this eliminates wheel hop and allows the V to break traction. I've laid some 60-80 foot long V signatures but only by oscillating the drift. I have yet to leave any meat behind in a straight line, sadly only wheel hop.

CTSV05
01-23-05, 07:29 PM
I don't have any other than the "hop", actually, we just took our first road trip this weekend, and what a joy, well except for the black ice, and snow, but other than that, I drove prolly 85% of the dry trip at 75-80-85 mph, with a few runs up to and over 100 once the wife was out of the car!!

Absolutely no shake or noises, but my trunk lite quit?.....well thats it, I'm selling that POS right now!!!!!!!!!

Geez, maybe I'm not as spoiled, because I think this car is great.

urbanski
01-23-05, 07:42 PM
but my trunk lite quit.
i actually don't think there is one.
GM saved a penny with that move.

01-23-05, 08:12 PM
i actually don't think there is one.
GM saved a penny with that move.

I have one.
Maybe you damaged the circuit when you removed your oil drainplug o-ring :lildevil:

urbanski
01-23-05, 08:15 PM
I have one.
Maybe you damaged the circuit when you removed your oil drainplug o-ring :lildevil:
hmmmm..
well then mine died too :(
oh well another thing to hunt down :)

benjet
01-23-05, 11:07 PM
If you open the trunk (at night time) to get the trunk light to turn on unlock the doors with the FOB and you should see a trunk light.

-Ben

CTSV05
01-24-05, 01:21 AM
It was working fine untill we got home from our trip, So I'm not sure, but we hit alot of sharp bumps in the road, and maybe the bulb is loose or it broke, either way I have a warranty!!!

NIK
01-24-05, 10:24 AM
WE drive the schwag car we paid for, for 1 year. Trade it on the stsv, problems solved. No hop, tranny noise, singing in the dash, and the gay vibration at 80 that everybody got. And best of all its tip-tronic tranny. Hope i didnt affend anybody, just my thoughts. Its an all around good car w/ 440 hp:hmm: :banghead:

I have a 2005 CTS-V and have absolutely none of the problems you have stated. My only issue is not with the car (best car I've ever owned) but with the freakin' stock tires! As far as wheel hop is concerned you can burn most cars on the road by launching without tire spin - I don't know about you, but at $335.00 per tire I want to keep the rubber on the tire, not the road. The "V" is not considered to be a dragster, but 0-60 in 4.7 seconds (Motor Trend) and 4 doors and exceptional handling is nothing to sneeze at! Just my opinion, but I think we should hear more from the happy campers out here. And, by the way, for $15-$20,000 more, how do you know what kind of problems the STS-V will have?

SBONES
01-24-05, 11:06 AM
I love the car. They could of made it better. I think alot of the problem is the aluminum driveshaft and the differential. I have an 05V, the only really problem is the driveshaft it makes noise if your not a perfect shifter. I have the corsa and more cai kit. And i cant wait to get new tires, so3s...

Bones

Brett
01-24-05, 01:10 PM
This is the same trans that GM builds for BMW, so those who have driven the Bimmer know what to expect.

Actually, this is a brand new trans.

From GM:

"The Northstar V-8 SC is mated to the all-new Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission – the first use of GM’s new six-speed automatic. The 6L80 – the only transmission offered on the STS-V – is one of the most technologically advanced automatic transmissions in the industry, using clutch-to-clutch operation and an advanced integrated 32-bit transmission controller to deliver smooth and precise shifts.

The 6L80 also incorporates a host of advanced driving enhancement features, including advanced Performance Algorithm Shifting (PAS) and Driver Shift Control (DSC). PAS lets the electronic transmission controller override the automatic gear selection during closed throttle high lateral acceleration maneuvers, rapidly downshifting with the release of the torque converter clutch for smooth powering up when the throttle is reopened. Driver Shift Control allows the driver to sequentially shift gears manually via the gearshift lever. "