: 2004 Escalade with a couple drive questions....

Tdub80
05-28-13, 12:55 PM
Hey guys! I haven't posted on here too much, but do enjoy reading through all the informative posts. I had a '02 EXT last summer and sold it. Now I have a 2004 base SUV. It's a really nice truck just needs a few of the common Escalade issues addressed.

I have a couple of issues aside from my "service stability" that everyone seems to have. I've noticed while cruising down highway or anywhere really, that when I get back in the gas there is clunk sound. Almost like slop in something (i.e. transfer case or??). Also, I can hear a slight grawling noise in the front end while accelerating but goes away as soon as I let off the pedal and coast. Would that be diff bearings or something else? I've changed the driver hub and previous owner did the passenger side.

Any input would be very helpful. Thanks!!

the cadillac man
05-28-13, 02:43 PM
Hey guys! I haven't posted on here too much, but do enjoy reading through all the informative posts. I had a '02 EXT last summer and sold it. Now I have a 2004 base SUV. It's a really nice truck just needs a few of the common Escalade issues addressed.

I have a couple of issues aside from my "service stability" that everyone seems to have. I've noticed while cruising down highway or anywhere really, that when I get back in the gas there is clunk sound. Almost like slop in something (i.e. transfer case or??). Also, I can hear a slight grawling noise in the front end while accelerating but goes away as soon as I let off the pedal and coast. Would that be diff bearings or something else? I've changed the driver hub and previous owner did the passenger side.

Any input would be very helpful. Thanks!!

The clunk is because of slack in the drive line due to the yoke on the drive shaft
The growling noise is a bearing problem

Tdub80
05-28-13, 03:17 PM
In other words u-joint?

Can the bearing issue be a pretty big one? It isn't too horribly loud, just noticable at this point.

mikedyk43
05-28-13, 04:42 PM
Both of the problems you described sound like front differential problems. When the bearings wear out in the diff, there is slop between the gears inside. Having the differential rebuilt would likely solve both issues.

Tdub80
05-30-13, 01:03 AM
What should I expect to pay for that?

mikedyk43
05-30-13, 01:51 AM
What should I expect to pay for that?

I have seen adds on Ebay and Craigslist that sell rebuilds for less than $1000