: 99 STS CD Changer???

Seafunk99
01-21-05, 09:38 AM
I bought my 99 STS last summer and just recently got around to checking out the cd changer in the console.
Is there supposed to be a removeable cartridge or something thats used to load the discs? When I open the door on the changer there is nothing in there, or anywhere that a cd could be placed.
Can someone enlighten me with some info or maybe a picture of the inside of their changer for reference?

Thanks!

Playdrv4me
01-21-05, 10:07 AM
I bought my 99 STS last summer and just recently got around to checking out the cd changer in the console.
Is there supposed to be a removeable cartridge or something thats used to load the discs? When I open the door on the changer there is nothing in there, or anywhere that a cd could be placed.
Can someone enlighten me with some info or maybe a picture of the inside of their changer for reference?

Thanks!

Yea youre missing the cartridge. This is common in used vehicles. Go on ebay or to the dealer, it should be a 20-40.00 part.

caddydaddy
01-21-05, 01:58 PM
Try www.gmotors.com . When I bought my 2000 STS the cd changer cartridge was also missing. I bought two so I'd have an extra to change out quickly. I just keep the extra one in the center console. The cartridges are not much more than $20 if I remember right.

Seafunk99
01-21-05, 02:41 PM
I appreciate the replies...I wonder why people feel the need to keep these things when they sell the cars :confused: . I can't imagine them all being lost...

caddydaddy - the idea of buying 2 makes sense. I looked at a 96 STS before I bought this 99 and it had a 12 disc in the trunk. Does anyone know why they switched to only a 6 disc in the console?
Personally, I would rather have the storage space in the console, as its a rather long reach over to the glove box in this car, and I don't have short arms either...

caddydaddy
01-21-05, 03:10 PM
caddydaddy - the idea of buying 2 makes sense. I looked at a 96 STS before I bought this 99 and it had a 12 disc in the trunk. Does anyone know why they switched to only a 6 disc in the console?
Personally, I would rather have the storage space in the console, as its a rather long reach over to the glove box in this car, and I don't have short arms either...

I wouldn't want a 12 disc changer in the trunk, too much of a pain to change the cds quickly! I'm sure that's the reason they changed. I don't mind the loss of storage in the car, I don't carry much in it other than some CDs, and the owners manual! What else is needed?