: Idling

AllenPacla
01-21-05, 09:37 AM
Isn't it that the idling of the engine is being controlled by the computer? Correct me if I'm wrong, I am no mechanic. The reason I am asking this is because we are thinking of adapting a gas saving device to the Catera which increases the idling as an effect. With old cars that don't have a computer, you simply adjust it manually and you're off. But with computerized cars, I am wondering how it will adjust. Would the computer adjust the idling automatically to normal level or should there be any other adjustment that needs to be done?

Vesicant
01-21-05, 06:27 PM
I wouldnt do it. It appears that your "fuel saving device" is made for a carburated vehicle. Id imagine itd seriously screw up the computer controled fuel system. Making it run rich and it actually being lean getting worse mileage, low performance, check engine light (id imagine a lean bank situation or other)... any one of these could happen.

AllenPacla
01-22-05, 10:51 AM
So what you are saying is that the computer won't be adjusting the idling if it goes up. So it's like, the computer has a pre set amount of fuel to inject and the amount is not related to how the idling is. Or maybe, the computer is set in a way where a certain amount of fuel is suppose to produce a certain level of idling and if it doesn't occur then it would presume that there is something wrong with the engine thus the "check engine light" coming up. Is there a way around this problem? Thanks

Vesicant
01-22-05, 12:52 PM
The computer sets injector timings, ignition and fuel regulation to match the engine speed.

Youd be messing with not only the idle but the computers fuel system.

AllenPacla
01-23-05, 09:15 AM
Is there a way of reprogramming the ECU in terms of what you have just mentioned the device might mess up? Thanks.