: Are they really that bad???

97Catera
01-21-05, 07:55 AM
i just bought a 97 cadillac catera for 1700$ it has a tranny problem that is getting fixed when the part comes in.I have read alot of bad things about these cars but i couldnt let it pass for the price, its in excellent shape.I am just wondering if all the recalls are fixed and regular maint. is kept up if the car is really a junk like i see alot of guys saying.

Vesicant
01-21-05, 04:11 PM
Your Cadillac dealer can determine for you (ask them to look it up on their computer) what recall work has been done. In my other post about your engine.. you can see what the major issue is that needs to be looked into.

Yes, 97-98 especially are the worst for reliability. Honest truth. Thats not to say your Catera isnt automatically bad, it should be ok if/had recall work been done on the engine. Other than that - its up to the car lol.

AlexFinick
01-24-05, 11:25 PM
'98 Catera and I Now have just 41k miles. Tranny Problems will end my Catera ownership. Coolant and Oil Leaks have also destroyed my driveway. @#$%!!!

97Catera
01-25-05, 08:12 AM
mine has 86k and from what i know the only problem it has had is the shift solenoids which i am fixing when the parts are off backorder.but from what i read i am planning on more

cadillactech
01-25-05, 08:04 PM
If you bought one cheap.....you are ok. If you bought one new....my deepest condolences. If they would have retailed for 16-18,000, it would not have been a big deal. But for what they cost new, ( 30,000 ) If I would have bought one, I would have been pi$$ed!

flushing
01-27-05, 12:17 PM
It's worst that "that bad". Fix the transmission and sell the beast. These are words of wisdom with no cost to you. Keep this 97 catera and you'll pay through the nose . You got the auto cheap you think. In two months let us know your situation. How i wish i was wrong, but alas i'm not