: Control Arm Bushings

overplayed
01-21-05, 06:27 AM
What is the best way to check for excess play in the control arm bushings? And what is the specs for normal/excess play?

Jeff

Vesicant
01-21-05, 05:58 PM
I cant find any "play" listings but this is interesting... its been found that they are splitting (sign in on yahoo): click here (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/CateraOwners/files/Cadillac%20Catera%20TSB%20%26%20Service%20Files/) and go to "Catera Lower Control Arm Bushings Draft Bulletin.doc "

overplayed
01-21-05, 08:06 PM
Yea, I had seen the bulletin and the pictures. I read a recent post on Yahoo from a guy who asked the dealer to inspect his bushings and they pried on his control arm with a tire iron and said that the play was normal. There has got to be some specs. I did get to see my bushings from the same perspective as the pictures on yahoo and mine apeared to be fine. Could they split from the bottom? Are both of the control arm bushings hydraulic?

Jeff

overplayed
01-30-05, 08:33 AM
Does anyone know when the control arm bushings were redesighed? Some have said post production for all Cateras and some have said after the 1998 model. JefferyG, I know you have said that the redesign was mid production, what was your source? I just want a better source than, "Yea, some guy on the internet said".

Thanks Jeff

Vesicant
01-30-05, 02:14 PM
I cant do any better than whats on the Catera owners group :(

Here (http://f6.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sC79QTqw37WiO27oISBfrW9_A1c9dFealvAzu_F1tj4UD7gbId PXLiRBlbz7zuPtQ5hnvyJfPeoqz8L8-qic_Dkk_aOTJFjGYGQ/Cadillac%20Catera%20Top%20Ten%20Problems%2012-25-03.doc)

What are you trying to do now? Im confused. Are you trying to get GM to cover it now or? And just so you know, some automakers dont post info on bushing play. This is my resource for service items on the catera, search all you want. link (http://dante.myftp.org:9001/servlets/Home)

overplayed
01-31-05, 09:13 PM
What I am looking for is a more reliable source than just cateraowners at the Catera owners group. I want to believe him when he says that the bushings where resdesigned post production for all Catera models, because that would mean that my car is more likely to be fixable. But at the same time, the draft bulletin at the catera owners group refers to the redesigned bushings helping the later model cateras. I have to try and convince the dealership that the feathering is not normal and that it is fixable Wendsday at 7:30 am. If things don't go well Wendsday, I will be faced with traveling to a different dealership or talking to an attorney. In either case, I would need as much correct info on the bushings as possible. Or at least more faith in the info I have. Hard to persuade others when you don't know what you believe. LOL Any idea on where I can find this info?

Thanks Jeff

overplayed
01-31-05, 09:23 PM
And in the worst case, if I changed the bushings myself or paid someone to do it, I would want to know for sure what bushings I have on the car now.

Thanks