: Allante wheels used in other period Cadillacs?

Johnny_Buchanan
05-27-13, 12:37 PM
Did any other Caddies of the same period use same rims than '88 Allante?

Looks like I"ll have replace at least one but I'd like to stick to what it left factory with.

-J

MoistCabbage
05-27-13, 04:27 PM
The '88-'91 STS used the same rim, but in a machined finish. They're much rarer than Allante's anyway.

Google used/refinished rims.

Johnny_Buchanan
05-30-13, 03:40 PM
^
Thanks! Why would they be rarer? Numbers would suggest the other way around.

-J

MoistCabbage
05-30-13, 04:18 PM
There were less than 10,000 first gen STSs made, and even fewer ETCs (which I forgot to mention, same rims). There are WAY fewer STS's and ETC's left than there are Allante's

Johnny_Buchanan
05-31-13, 02:48 AM
^
Hmm, ok, maybe you're right. Around here STS is fairly common sight, whilst Allantes are very rare.

Anyway, thanks for the info, seems like I have a set of pristine STS rims located, just have to collect and part with my cash. On top of that I"ll have to buy a set of new tyres (STS being 16 and Allante 15), if I don't strike gold and score Allante rim soon

-J

MoistCabbage
05-31-13, 04:12 AM
I wasn't aware the '87/'88 Allante rims were 15's. I always thought they were the same rim as the STS, with a different finish.

If you're willing to buy 4 new 16" tires, why not get the newer style, 16" Allante rims?

Johnny_Buchanan
05-31-13, 03:17 PM
^
Not really willing to, but failing to obtain replacement to the knackered one (1st choice, since I do like the look + I am a poor lonesome cowb, eh, a stingy bastard) I see no alternative but a source a whole new set preferably as close to original ones as possible whilst keeping cost down.

-J

MoistCabbage
05-31-13, 03:54 PM
Used/refinished rims are available from several online vendors. Google is your friend.

Johnny_Buchanan
06-21-13, 06:13 AM
MoistCabbage,

Thanks for your help, managed to source a used one from Tom's Allante store. It had reached these shores already but is currently waiting to be cleared by customs.

-J