: Help - 1980 Coupe deville hard top clean up

welhajjk
05-27-13, 11:17 AM
Hello forum members,

I have a 1980 coupe deville that is currently at the body shop getting painted. My hard top is discolored and I am debating whether I should get it dyed or whether I should try cleaning it up myself first. Attached is a pic of the top. It might be a little hard to tell from the pic but it has this red-ish discoloration.

Can anyone make a recommendation based on the pic. Is it faded to the point of no return or can it be cleaned up with the right products? and what would those products be?

My top is in good condition other than the color. no rips/seams are good/no bubbles.

thanks

1980coupe
05-27-13, 11:50 AM
You can try those vinyl cleaners that are sold at parts store and follow there recommendations on the product. Use a soft bristle brush to get into the grain and clean with terry cloth towels. Or get a new top in the same correct color and grain from smsautofabrics.com just submit the year make model and trim code.

jayoldschool
05-27-13, 11:50 AM
That's not a "hard top", it's a vinyl top. Yes, it can be dyed, but it is not expensive to replace, and when you are getting the car painted is the right time to do it. Have the shop remove all the trim, take off the top, check to see if body work is needed around the trim/window area (rust often occurs here), and install a new top after the paint is done.

csbuckn
05-27-13, 12:00 PM
I also think you should replace it, mainly to unsure there is no rust issues as mentioned. When I was looking to get mine done, the prices ranged from 300 to 700 to get it done. Maybe I should tear the vinyl off my blue car to see what its like and whats all involved.

welhajjk
05-27-13, 03:48 PM
thanks jay for clarifying "vinyl vs hard top".

I'm with u guys on replacing the top as its the proper thing to do. I was just hoping to keep the original top as is and just clean it up or dye it. I will try a vinyl cleaner but will most likely end up dying it for now. I'm sure after some years that will wear out and I will end ip having to replace the top.

I've read online of some people using mr clean magic eraser on vinyl to clean it up. anyone have tried anything like that?

MoistCabbage
05-27-13, 04:09 PM
Clean what up? It's worn and faded, not dirty.

Your new paint is going to make it look even worse. Replace it.

welhajjk
05-28-13, 09:38 AM
thanks for your help guys. will look into it

talismandave
05-28-13, 10:17 AM
If you have stretched yourself too thin $ on the paint and are looking for a "get by" for a while solution I had good luck with just spray bomb clear satin to seal and bring color back to oxidized vinyl tops. Used to drive a lot of beaters in the 80's and most were 70s cars and almost all had bad vinyl tops!:lol:

If you really care about the car...replacement is the way to go.