: CD Changer Question

MetaPhaze
01-20-05, 08:03 PM
I got a '97 Deville. It has no CD in the front dash, but I was told I could just buy the 12 disc CD changer and plug it in a cable that comes in to the trunk. Anyone have any details I should know about?

Dadillac
01-20-05, 08:22 PM
I am in the hunt for a cd/changer for my Seville, it isn't easy. From what I gather, GM has made about 50,126,895 cd/changers, and you have to get the right one, to work with your stereo. :D Seriously, go to the Caddy dealer, give them your vin#, and they will tell you which cd/changer you need. There are a ton of factory part numbers, and you do need the correct one. I am going to try the Neo Changer, as I am having an impossible time locating the correct factory changer.

Don

don_mccarter
01-20-05, 09:56 PM
You might try www.radiosandmore.com (http://www.radiosandmore.com) they have
OEM changers for GM, Ford & Chrysler automobiles.

MetaPhaze
01-20-05, 11:45 PM
I got a '97 Deville. It has no CD in the front dash, but I was told I could just buy the 12 disc CD changer and plug it in a cable that comes in to the trunk. Anyone have any details I should know about?

So I can't just buy one of the Pioneer / AC Delco CD changers and toss it in the lac? Is there a cable hidden behind the carpet in the trunk to plug her in?

LCLCLC
01-21-05, 02:07 AM
If your radio has a 'SOURCE' button, it is compatible with a 12-disk trunk changer. The very base radio will not have this button, and no cable in the trunk.

The cable should be in the trunk. Under the carpet, on the right side. Mine was bundled with the cables to the antenna (sp) and split out near the hinge.

The Neo Changer is, per them, compatible. Go to their website. They come with jumper cables to match the trunk cable with their changer.

They are sold often on eBay. I'm not sure what the Part Number for 1997 is, I think it might end in something like .......556. They go for $100-$200. Depending on how much strength the seller says about them being in good working condition and warranting this.

P.S. I bought a 6-disk changer from eBay, with the guy guaranteeing it would work or money back. He had several for sale. It was new, with no GM stickers anywhere. I think this changer is actually for a Seville, the ones that go in the console. It works fine, except if the car is not driven and the CD used for several days, the radio no longer 'sees' the CD. I have to go to the trunk and eject the cartridge and push it back in. It's then ok. It just has lost position on which CD and Track was previously playing. This isn't a big deal to me. I got this one for less than $120.