: Stock Exhaust tweeks?

EVH5150
05-27-13, 04:35 AM
Hello fellow members:

I was just thinking out loud here, has anyone ever considered an H-pipe in place of the stock resonator? What I am suggesting is keeping the whole system stock except for switching out the resonator and putting an H-pipe in its place.

I am not interested in doing this for horsepower as I feel my car is very fast however I am wanting a little extra exhaust note. I want it to sound just like it does stock but with a little extra wrap. I don't want aftermarket exhaust systems as they just add irritating noise and drone in most cases.

I have done some research on H-pipe and X-pipe and basically its a wash. Some believe H-pipe is deeper and less raspy/high pitch than an X-pipe, however for the performance side most seem to think the X-pipe is best. I am thinking an H-pipe might be an awesome mod strictly for a nice sound upgrade, hopefully some members can chime in here and offer some opinions.

Thanks in advance,

EVH5150

ztollon
06-01-13, 06:43 PM
H pipe makes it sound much better.. if you put it n place of the resonator you may get sum popping on decel. Maybe placing it closer to mufflers would tweak it enough to not pop.

EVH5150
06-01-13, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the reply man. A good sounding pop I can definitely live with, I actually like that gurgle sound on decel.

Do you run an H pipe on your cts? Can you let me know if there's any cabin drone, and if the overall sound is worth doing this setup rather than going with a cat back system?

ztollon
06-02-13, 09:28 AM
Oh yea its worth it.. sounds much deeper no drone at all and yes mine has one, only cost to me was the materials so i spent 20$ rather than 2000$ for a cat back.. I like to be able to go back to stockish sound so I have cable cutouts after the cats with some racing mufflers welded on those. I left the hpipe too just because I too love the little pops.

EVH5150
06-02-13, 08:51 PM
Thanks again man.

I am definitely going to do this now after hearing you're great feedback.
Oh yea its worth it.. sounds much deeper no drone at all and yes mine has one, only cost to me was the materials so i spent 20$ rather than 2000$ for a cat back.. I like to be able to go back to stockish sound so I have cable cutouts after the cats with some racing mufflers welded on those. I left the hpipe too just because I too love the little pops.

EVH5150
07-25-13, 12:09 PM
I just had my local Exhaust shop remove the middle resonater/muffler. The sound difference is perfect as it's slightly louder in a good way and has the perfect amount of wrap/rasp. Oddly enough there is now less drone than stock which is a nice little bonus.

Tbbt
07-25-13, 12:57 PM
I just had my local Exhaust shop remove the middle resonater/muffler. The sound difference is perfect as it's slightly louder in a good way and has the perfect amount of wrap/rasp. Oddly enough there is now less drone than stock which is a nice little bonus.

Sound clip, PLEASE?

EVH5150
07-25-13, 10:06 PM
Sound clip, PLEASE?

Sorry no sound clip.

After driving it all day I have to take back my previous comment. The exhaust pops too much all the way through first gear and part of second, I'd describe it as sounding tinny like marbles bouncing around in a coffee can. Whats weird is there is no pop what so ever on deceleration, but when I accelerate it pops like crazy in a bad way.

I am now going back to my local exhaust shop to have them put my mid muffler/resonator back on. I shouldn't have f--ked with the stock set up as it really was perfect.

Tbbt
07-26-13, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the update!

EVH5150
07-27-13, 07:04 PM
You're welcome my friend.

dlpuette
08-27-13, 02:26 PM
That marbles in a coffee can sound on acceleration sounds like engine ping to me. Not a good situation for your motor!!

EVH5150
08-28-13, 03:27 PM
I had the exhaust shop put my mid muffler back the very next day.

I think the marbles in coffee can sound was unburned fuel exploding inside the exhaust. That mid muffler does a fantastic job of canceling the popping noise as I can no longer hear any popping what so ever.

My advise for anyone doing after market exhaust is; keep the mid muffler/resonator at all costs.
That marbles in a coffee can sound on acceleration sounds like engine ping to me. Not a good situation for your motor!!