: Smell Coolant but from what?

STS 310
01-20-05, 03:47 PM
Just had radiator tanks replaced which was the source of a leak. Had the supplement added and all new DexCool.

I smell coolant and at nite in the light I can see some slight steam not noticeable in the day, from the driver side of the hood (side fender).

I cant seem to see a leak, and I havent had to add coolant. Took car back to the radiator place and the guy briefly looked it over. He said maybe the heater core was going. I told him I dont see any steam on the windshield, nor is the smell eminating from inside the vehicle.

He says to "keep an eye on it". No s#*t!!

Question is, what is on the driver side of the engine that can be steaming?

STS 310
01-20-05, 03:52 PM
Ok I did a search on a thread that was similiar. RANGER mentioned something about the water pump gasket. Is this on the driver side of the car?

dkozloski
01-20-05, 05:30 PM
Go to the store and get some "Rit" clothes dye and add some to the coolant tank. It is harmless to the cooling system but will leave a residue where the coolant is coming out and evaporating. The leak will be easily traced. Don't get any on you.

Dadillac
01-20-05, 05:40 PM
Yes, the water pump gasket is on the driver side. I had to change mine, it was pretty simple. Before you spend money fixing anything else, try this. Use a hose, and spray down your engine compartment pretty well. By doing this, you should rid yourself of any lingering coolant, that spilled out, when your radiator was repaired. If you have coolant, pooled up near the exhaust, or any other hot parts, you will smell the coolant, for a long time. It doesn't seem to evaporate too easily. Give it a shot, and post back with the results.

Don

STS 310
01-20-05, 05:48 PM
I was thinking the same thing, that when the rad was out, Im sure that some coolant got into some spots and that is what is I smell, the old coolant burning off.

Ranger
01-20-05, 09:16 PM
See my response to GATEDHD re: "Small Coolant Leak"

STS 310
01-21-05, 11:35 AM
See my response to GATEDHD re: "Small Coolant Leak"

Saw it. Thanks Ranger.