: Cool Feature -- Speedometer switch km/h to MPH

Lorne
05-26-13, 06:52 PM
Something I really like about the ATS -- Most cars have two different scales on the speedometer, one in MPH and one in km/h; the needle moves over both scales, and you have to read the correct scale depending whether you are driving in Canada or the US. The ATS has a single scale; it looked like it only was able to display km/h (I'm in Canada)... but when you use the driver information centre to change units from metric to US measures, MPH lights up, and the needle moves to the proper speed in MPH. This is most evident when driving -- if I'm driving at 100 km/h, and switch to US, the scale stays the same, but the needle jumps from 100 to 60, reflecting my speed in MPH. Very cool!

Sergio526
09-22-15, 01:54 PM
I just noticed this on mine the other day. Some time ago it hit me that it only had one scale. I just figured it would do km/h (I'm in the US) on the DIC screen. The other day I had the car off and the sun was hitting just right so I could see all the possible cluster lights and that's when I saw the km/h. Sure enough, switching between the two just makes the needle jump to the correct MPH or km/h spot. Pretty slick!

RocketDawg
09-22-15, 06:16 PM
Corvette has had that for quite some time. My 2003 Corvette had it, and I pulled a good one on my wife when we first got it. We were going south on I-65 driving about 70 mph, so I reached up and changed it to km/hr. So it was showing something like 120 (didn't take the time to calculate exactly), and I commented to my wife, "Gee, it seems like we're barely moving and look how fast we are going". She looked over and about passed out. :)

Hoosier Daddy
09-22-15, 06:38 PM
Corvette has had that for quite some time. My 2003 Corvette had it, and I pulled a good one on my wife when we first got it. We were going south on I-65 driving about 70 mph, so I reached up and changed it to km/hr. So it was showing something like 120 (didn't take the time to calculate exactly), and I commented to my wife, "Gee, it seems like we're barely moving and look how fast we are going". She looked over and about passed out. :)
Are you married to Sally Field? She fell for the KPH number's on BAN ONE's speedometer.

RocketDawg
09-22-15, 06:58 PM
Are you married to Sally Field? She fell for the KPH number's on BAN ONE's speedometer.

No, but she was a cutie in her day. :) I haven't seen that but it must have been equally funny.

Hoosier Daddy
09-22-15, 07:42 PM
No, but she was a cutie in her day. :) I haven't seen that but it must have been equally funny.
Yeah, she was climbing around in the front seat and glances at the speedo and says something like "are we really going 110, we're going 110?". And they flash to the speedo with the needle on 110 of the KPH scale.

----------

https://youtu.be/XbSfFmKJJ3c?t=88

Sorry for making you click but the forum software has been broken for years regarding specifying a start time (88 seconds this time).

(https://youtu.be/XbSfFmKJJ3c?t=88)

mozark
09-22-15, 09:12 PM
There are other things visible when the light hits the dash just right. In the right light I can see the symbol for heated seat back above the heated seat symbol and cooled seat symbol below it. I have a '13 which does not have cooled seats.

1500cc
09-25-15, 12:01 PM
The scale is different in US and Canadian cars too. On US cars the numbers stop at 160, whereas Canadian cars go up to 260. Corvettes go up to 200/300. As it happens, both my ATS and Corvette are US cars so I get the smaller numbers. But I actually like it; having the speedo stop at 160 kph spreads out the numbers better so it's easier to read. And both cars have HUDs, so if I manage to 'bury the needle' I can still see my speed on the windshield.

Hoosier Daddy
09-25-15, 12:27 PM
But I actually like it; having the speedo stop at 160 kph spreads out the numbers better so it's easier to read.
Yes. My preference would be a speedometer that maxed out at 90MPH. Speedometer has no purpose other than helping you maintain a speed based on the current legal limit.

RocketDawg
09-25-15, 12:43 PM
Yes. My preference would be a speedometer that maxed out at 90MPH. Speedometer has no purpose other than helping you maintain a speed based on the current legal limit.

But it looks cool to have one that maxes out at 200 mph (Corvette). :)

TheCaptain
09-25-15, 12:59 PM
Cadillac's have had this feature for around 6 years now, and other GM vehicles within 4 ish depending on model. Camaro/Corvette have had for more than 4...

Ragtop 99
09-25-15, 01:38 PM
Yes. My preference would be a speedometer that maxed out at 90MPH. Speedometer has no purpose other than helping you maintain a speed based on the current legal limit. Even my minivan has probably exceeded that. ;)

I hated it back in the 80s when capping the speedometer at 85 or 90 mph was being done. 120 mph is acceptable speedometer cap for a non-performance car. For a moderate performance car that could be tracked, like an ATS, 140 mph would be fine. Higher performance cars like the vette or ATS-V should be 160 or whatever they can max out at.

carpenter
09-25-15, 03:48 PM
There are other things visible when the light hits the dash just right. In the right light I can see the symbol for heated seat back above the heated seat symbol and cooled seat symbol below it. I have a '13 which does not have cooled seats.

None of them have cooled seats. I could see the same thing in my 13 as well with the cooled seats. Haven't looked close enough at my 2014. I would assume it's the same.

Hoosier Daddy
09-25-15, 03:49 PM
Even my minivan has probably exceeded that. ;)
Of course. But I never needed a speedometer at all to go 150, 160 or 175, just a throttle.

The farther apart the numbers are on a speedometer the better. Therefore the smallest range is better.

Ragtop 99
09-26-15, 10:18 AM
Of course. But I never needed a speedometer at all to go 150, 160 or 175, just a throttle.

The farther apart the numbers are on a speedometer the better. I agree on both counts, but I like have the information available for higher speeds. In some respects, being able to see whether I'm going 32 versus 33 mph is useless information too. Having a speedometer with a big sweep (e.g. 270*) provides both a big range and the ability to interpolate. I really like the C6 speedo & tach for those reasons.

CaptSoloNJ
09-27-15, 09:16 AM
I agree on both counts, but I like have the information available for higher speeds. In some respects, being able to see whether I'm going 32 versus 33 mph is useless information too. Having a speedometer with a big sweep (e.g. 270*) provides both a big range and the ability to interpolate. I really like the C6 speedo & tach for those reasons.

The speedometer needs to go at least 20mph over the rated top speed for the car. And yes, I remember the 1970's when some "regulators" thought we can save fuel if the speedometers topped out at 80 mph. Did they think we won't drive faster than what the speedometer tops out at? I did go over 80 mph, but did not know by how much. In those days, the speedometer was cable driven. I kinked the cable and the speedometer needle used to fluctuate when I was driving under 40 mph.