: Replacement shocks for a 89 Fleetwood Brougham

vicsponjr
05-26-13, 06:14 PM
Can someone help me out? I am trying to find replacement shocks.
I have an 89 Fleetwood Brougham with Level Ride. The Level Ride light comes on when I start the car but the car looks low in the rear. I never hear the compressor come on. I am fine with doing away with the level ride but don't know what type of shocks to use. I am hoping I will not have to replace the springs.

TopherS
05-28-13, 04:43 AM
Yes you would want to replace the springs if going without the air-shocks...

According to my 1989 ordering guide, the Electronic Level Control (ELC) feature became standard on the Brougham. Prior to that, it was an option (a $203 option on my 1987 Brougham). The cars built without ELC had different springs than the cars with ELC ... the springs on ELC-equipped cars are softer than those on the non-ELC-equipped cars. I believe that if you put standard shocks on the rear of your car without changing out the springs, your car will still be low in the rear ... especially so when any weight is added to the car. You would need to install stiffer springs, which would help keep the rear-end height to the correct level.

cadillac kevin
05-28-13, 09:22 AM
Yup, you'll need stock non ELC springs. Otherwise the back of your car will noticably sag.

vicsponjr
06-08-13, 07:49 AM
OK, so I have to stick with air shocks. Anyone have a part #? I am not going to restore the ELC

jayoldschool
06-08-13, 03:45 PM
If the level ride light comes on, the system IS working. Do this: measure from ground to top of wheel opening. Have a couple people sit on the bumper. Measure again. It will be lower. Keep the people on the bumper (or in the trunk). Start the car, Level Ride light will come on as the compressor brings the pressure up in the shocks to bring the car to ride height. When the light goes out (should take 10-20 seconds), measure again. Numbers should be close to original measurement, and more than with the people on the bumper with the key off.

brougham
06-08-13, 04:05 PM
THe rear should be able to maintain a pretty good height even without the air shocks working. So if it's really low you need springs either way.
But if the light is going on and off and not running forever the system should be working properly.

Benzilla
06-13-13, 01:57 PM
It's entirely possible that your system is working as it should, but there's a leak in your shocks. This would make the light come on more often than it should, and take more effort to keep the rear level. It's a common problem, and from what I've heard, the most common cause of people retrofitting their suspension to bypass it. Monroe air shocks & Gabriel Hijackers both can be hooked up to work with your stock level ride system, as far as I know. However I can't be sure how it's done, as I've never tried it.