: Should I get a Warranty for my 2010?

algiorda
05-26-13, 03:11 PM
My lease is up on my 2010 SRX and I'm considering purchasing the car because it's in amazing condition, relatively low miles (37k), my residual is well below market value, and it has not been in the shop for any warranty work. My MFG warranty will expire at the 3 year mark.

With that said, these cars are complex and expensive to fix. Should I purchase after market warranty? Does GM sell a warranty (customer care) ?

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks and regards,
Al

stevec5375
05-26-13, 06:30 PM
Given the problems I've had with mine, and it only has 21K miles on it, I would highly suggest a warranty. To give you an example of what you're in for, I recently had a headlight assembly replaced because it had internal condensation that would not go away. In fact, it turned out to have water standing in it. If I had not been under warranty, the part alone would have cost me $1,000. Ouch! Mine goes out of warranty in Jan 2014 and I'm hoping if the other headlight assembly is destined for the same thing that it does it before then. My hope is that I'll have sold my SRX before then and moved on to something not so problematic and prone to issues.

TheCaptain
05-27-13, 12:23 AM
I looked at purchasing the extended warranty on my '10 at purchase, just before I sold it (before I knew I was going to sell it), and again on my '13. Both of these SRX's have been in the shop a few times. The Extended Warranty would have to be used a whole lot in order to pay for itself within the time frame ($2300/ year). While both SRX's have been in the shop a lot, it would take a lot of work before that amount was used up.

In the end I decided against the Extended Warranty. All three times I looked.

stealth97
05-27-13, 01:17 AM
Captain, that seems like a lot to pay each year. Was that from the dealer? Did you try negotiating? Thanks.

TheCaptain
05-27-13, 08:12 AM
I wasn't too interested, so I didn't negotiate.

algiorda
05-28-13, 12:50 PM
Ouch, I didn't think I'd have to pay $2,300 per year for warranty? I think $2300 would just about cover anything other than the engine and trans if it were to go wrong in 1 year???

I was thinking more like $1300 per year. Heck, that's what I pay for auto insurance if the car was totaled. :D

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-28-13, 01:01 PM
My lease is up on my 2010 SRX and I'm considering purchasing the car because it's in amazing condition, relatively low miles (37k), my residual is well below market value, and it has not been in the shop for any warranty work. My MFG warranty will expire at the 3 year mark.

With that said, these cars are complex and expensive to fix. Should I purchase after market warranty? Does GM sell a warranty (customer care) ?

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks and regards,
Al

Hello Al,

I see you have gotten some great advice from other forum members on this thread. If you are looking into purchasing an extended service contract, GM does offer a protection plan. The GM Protection Plan contracts - a comprehensive product endorsed by General Motors for GM vehicles - protect against unexpected vehicle repair costs and ensure your vehicle receives proper maintenance. GMPP is available in a variety of coverages and time and mileage combinations. A website,http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/, goes into more detail on each plan. It can be purchased at a certified GM dealership if you choose to do so. Just some information on what is available to you. Please reach out to us with any other questions or concerns!

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

TheCaptain
05-28-13, 03:28 PM
...I was thinking more like $1300 per year. Heck, that's what I pay for auto insurance if the car was totaled. :D

I would pay less if mine got totaled. So guess which is cheaper (even after would be the hit to my license). :devil:

cadigirlchicago2
05-29-13, 04:41 PM
I looked into it for my 2010 but passed. It was expensive plus you still have to pay $100 deductable everytime you take it into the shop. My husband just puts money to the side every month for repairs so if something comes up that we choose to fix, we have the money set aside, if it's something big, we'd probably dump it for a new car.

algiorda
05-29-13, 10:40 PM
Laura,

Thank you very much for this information.

Here in Florida, we are not allowed to purchase the vehicle directly from the leasing company and must return to the dealer to execute the lease->purchase transaction. I will review the warranty options during this meeting.

Thanks again,
Al

Hello Al,

I see you have gotten some great advice from other forum members on this thread. If you are looking into purchasing an extended service contract, GM does offer a protection plan. The GM Protection Plan contracts - a comprehensive product endorsed by General Motors for GM vehicles - protect against unexpected vehicle repair costs and ensure your vehicle receives proper maintenance. GMPP is available in a variety of coverages and time and mileage combinations. A website,http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/, goes into more detail on each plan. It can be purchased at a certified GM dealership if you choose to do so. Just some information on what is available to you. Please reach out to us with any other questions or concerns!

Regards,

Laura M.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-31-13, 12:27 PM
Laura,

Thank you very much for this information.

Here in Florida, we are not allowed to purchase the vehicle directly from the leasing company and must return to the dealer to execute the lease->purchase transaction. I will review the warranty options during this meeting.

Thanks again,
Al

Hi Al,

You are very welcome!

Sincerely,

Laura M.