: Who has the best slotted rotor for street and track day use? Any holiday sales?

JDB
05-26-13, 12:22 PM
I'm about to turn 50k miles and was planning to put new rotors on at least the front before any track days this year, and it looks as if I'm doing that sooner since they failed state inspection yesterday just barely being under, but under is under and they're grooved pretty badly too (why I wanted new rotors before putting any track pads in again).

Is there a 2-piece rotor out there that doesn't break the bank? I can't believe the price jump between 1-piece and 2-piece...even the ones that Luke is selling for around $700. I just can't justify it.

I found Stoptech / Centric / Power Slot whoever is actually the manufaturer since they all seem to be one company now... TireRack has them for $117 each and probably find them a few bucks less on Amazon or eBay. Anyone running them? How are they holding up to track use? mileage you're getting out of them?

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=StopTech&model=Sport+Slotted+Rotor&group=Sport+Slotted+Rotor&partNum=126.62075PSL&autoMake=Cadillac&autoModel=CTS-V&autoYear=2005&autoModClar=

I have 2 weeks to get the car back to the state inspection place showing the new rotors or I'll have to re-pay to have it inspected again.

thanks.

Motown Cad
05-26-13, 05:41 PM
I love these EBC's, they made me enjoy braking almost as much as accelerating.

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3068A0A0.aspx

JDB
05-28-13, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the advise and link... I ended up calling them and they offered the Stoptech slotted rotors for $200 shipped and I bought them.

I guess we're the only ones who have bought something between stock and $$$$ 2-piece.

OneFast V
05-28-13, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the advise and link... I ended up calling them and they offered the Stoptech slotted rotors for $200 shipped and I bought them.

I guess we're the only ones who have bought something between stock and $$$$ 2-piece.

A lot of people have purchased the brakemotive drilled and slotted rotors over on lstech.

Rollbar
05-28-13, 04:09 PM
BRAKE PERFORMANCE has decent 1 piece slotted for approx. $165 per axle set.I've been using these rotors with aggressive Carbotech pads(XP20) for track use.Carbotech also has less aggressive but similar compound pads for street use so rotors hold the same pad material for track and street use.Mixing pad compounds on 1 rotor is not ideal.

JDB
05-28-13, 04:53 PM
A lot of people have purchased the brakemotive drilled and slotted rotors over on lstech.

I didn't include them in my options since I don't want drilled rotors. I've seen too many cracks at holes (not BrakeMotive) of rotors that I don't want them. Slotted is perfect.

OneFast V
05-28-13, 05:23 PM
I didn't include them in my options since I don't want drilled rotors. I've seen too many cracks at holes (not BrakeMotive) of rotors that I don't want them. Slotted is perfect.

They offer slotted only from my recollection. Either way I have 3 track days on my drilled+slotted rotors and gone through 2 sets of pads and no indications of cracks on the drilled holes yet...

FuzzyLogic
05-28-13, 05:49 PM
I'm partial to the DRT slotted rotors. GS3500 metallurgy FTW.

JDB
05-28-13, 06:14 PM
I'm partial to the DRT slotted rotors. GS3500 metallurgy FTW.

That's the other name that I couldn't think of that I read on the forums.... they are the same rotors that Stoptech sells. DRT rotors are made by Centric who is the parent company of Stoptech.

Note the title of the DRT rotors... "Centric" : http://www.drt-sport.com/catalog/6592

r1concepts
05-28-13, 06:43 PM
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding brakes. We are vendors on this site as well.

JDB
05-28-13, 08:31 PM
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding brakes. We are vendors on this site as well.

Who makes the "Premium" rotors that you sell?

They appear to also be Centric and the same rotors.

JDB
05-29-13, 03:34 PM

I just left you a VM on the phone number listed in your sig. AA doesn't stock them so they haven't shipped yet. If your rotors are the same and can match their price, I'll cancel my order with AA and buy from you.

JDB
05-29-13, 08:54 PM
I ended up canceling my order with AA since they couldn't get the rotors until 6/19 and DRT Sport called me back this afternoon to say they can get them to me next week. Done. I don't mind paying $8 to get them sooner.

Sorry R1Concepts but you couldn't even come close to pricing even with your 15% off holiday sale.

FYI...all 3 sell/start with Centric blanks and therefore are selling the same rotors.

FuzzyLogic
05-29-13, 09:35 PM
I ended up canceling my order with AA since they couldn't get the rotors until 6/19 and DRT Sport called me back this afternoon to say they can get them to me next week. Done. I don't mind paying $8 to get them sooner.

Sorry R1Concepts but you couldn't even come close to pricing even with your 15% off holiday sale.

FYI...all 3 sell/start with Centric blanks and therefore are selling the same rotors.

You'll like DRT. I love my rotors. As I recall, they were Johnny on the spot with shipping. Stock rear rotor vs. DRT rear rotor:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/CTS-V/DSC00074_small.jpg

JDB
05-30-13, 02:25 PM
Thanks. I spoke with DRT and they get the blanks from Centric and then they add the slots.

Did you get the normal rotors or get them cryo treated? +$90 seems cheap to do this for the pair, but it's half the price of a new pair of rotors. If they truly do last twice as long and hold up better, worth it but if track abuse and track pads are going to wear down rotors fast anyway...probably just might as well save the $90 and just buy another set of $207.90 rotors.

Did you happen to weigh the 2 rotors? Seems if they're about the same.

FuzzyLogic
05-30-13, 09:30 PM
Thanks. I spoke with DRT and they get the blanks from Centric and then they add the slots.

Did you get the normal rotors or get them cryo treated? +$90 seems cheap to do this for the pair, but it's half the price of a new pair of rotors. If they truly do last twice as long and hold up better, worth it but if track abuse and track pads are going to wear down rotors fast anyway...probably just might as well save the $90 and just buy another set of $207.90 rotors.

Did you happen to weigh the 2 rotors? Seems if they're about the same.

Stock front rotors weigh 25.8 lbs. Not sure on the rear, because I lost that measurement.

Based on my own measurements, the DRT slotted rotors weigh 1.4 lbs more in the front, and 0.6 lbs more in the back. Those weight deltas are conservative, because I measured the stock rotor weight after 25,000 miles.