: New member looking at a Deville

woodsietx
05-26-13, 11:42 AM
Hi all,

Just joined the Cadillac forum since I'm considering the purchase of a 2004 Deville DHS. I'm used internet forums for my Harley and old Suzuki motorcycles and find them very useful. Figured the same here.

The DHS is a two owner car that a co-worker is selling for an elderly parent. It has 69,000 miles, pretty clean and is priced at $6500. We've had the car since Friday afternoon and have put a couple hundred miles on it. We both love it. I'm going to replace my 98 Bonneville that has 298,000 miles on it so its quite a step up.

I'd appreciate any thoughts people can share about the car. I've already checked on one of it's issues (a/c blower door not moving) and the forum almost has me convinced I can fix it myself. :D

I look forward to learning more about the car and trying to save some money on repairs.

Thanks.

Todd
Austin, TX

Submariner409
05-26-13, 12:29 PM
Hi ............. Read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive up ^^^ in the top black bar. Read all the sticky posts at the top of the threads page in Deville, Lounge, Northstar Performance and wade through the pages of Cadillac Tech Tips in Item Specific for threads of interest. Learn the Acronyms sticky.

If you can't find info on a particular question (it IS all in these forums already) try to Google your question this way: "cadillac forums 2004 deville hvac blend door actuator" and other queries in similar format.

You will NEED a real GM service manual from eBay or www.helminc.com (http://www.helminc.com). For instant gratification subscribe the car to www.alldatadiy.com (http://www.alldatadiy.com) - the GM service manuals plus so much more that you need a study course to find it all.

MrHolland
05-26-13, 01:29 PM
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good people and info in here. Enjoy your stay!!!

orconn
05-26-13, 07:20 PM
Welcome to the Forums!

Ranger
05-26-13, 08:52 PM
:welcome:

Sounds like a nice car. I love mine.

You can probably expect the leaky TC seal and thus the P0741 code at some point in the future. It seems to be a standard feature on the 2000+ cars. The good news is you can live with it (unless you have to pass an emissions test.) You can find more info on it by doing a search.

Likewise with the Deville pop n drop windows. The good news on this one is that there is a cheap, easy and permanent repair. See the Tech Tips forum or do a search for this one.

77CDV
05-27-13, 02:51 PM
:welcome: That DHS is a great road car--comfortable, powerful, smooth. Go over it carefully for the usual used car issues, and if it checks out, enjoy! :)

basscatt
05-27-13, 04:47 PM
one word comes to mind regarding the DHS - MAGNIFICENT -

besides the usual "used car" stuff -
check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes -

if you don't know how - go here and read the ENTIRE post -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/138257-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

if you have any codes - post them here -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS

the code I am concerned with is P0741 if it is by itself -

this is a transmission code - and like Ranger said -
you COULD choose to ignore it -
unless you must go through emission testing in your area -
but it will cost around $2000 to $2500 to repair

CadillacLuke24
05-27-13, 10:12 PM
One thing I've found with repairing these cars is that the hardest thing is time and space available. If you got those covered you're good to go.

The experts hit the nail on the head. If all else checks out, go for it!

EChas3
05-28-13, 09:27 PM
Welcome!