: VIN and Performance Questions

duecentoi
01-20-05, 04:56 AM
How do I ascertain the Vin code for a N* motor that I have? I do not know what model it came out of. I was told that it was from a burned '97 STS, but the kid could tell me little else. Which Vin codes where the 300 hp ones and is there any way to tell from the configuration of the engine/trans? I found the number stamped in the block but it seemed of little use. Are there transmission difference as well?
TIA
Jason

danbuc
01-20-05, 01:10 PM
The 300hp engine will be designated by a "9" and model number would be L37.
The 275hp engine will be designated by a "Y" and model number would be LD8.

The L37, adn teh LD8, is basically the same concept as LS1, or LS6. It might be stamped on the block, but I'm not sure.

BeelzeBob
01-20-05, 02:43 PM
The VIN for the car the engine was in should be stamped on a pad on the lower right front corner of the engine block...next to the parting line between the upper and lower crankcase joint.

Look at the engine carefully on the front and rear surfaces. Chances are that there is still a sticker on the front or rear that would have the factory alpha codes on it. It is a small, squarish sticker with three large lettes and a bar code. Look at the middle letter. If it is a "M" the engine is a 300 HP L37....if the middle letter is a "Y" then it is a 275 HP LD8.

This is just a temporary sticker that the factories use to visually track engines before they VIN is stamped on it so the sticker may be gone but most always you can find some remanent of it on the front or rear...it was placed on both ends of the engine when it was built.

eldorado1
01-20-05, 02:59 PM
It might also be easier to mic the intake cam lobe(s)..... it was for me.

shookman34
01-24-05, 09:35 PM
This may sound like a dumb question, but which letter/number of the VIN should we be looking at when determining this....my VIN has both a 9 and a Y in it. And where would you find the model number on the car??? Would appreciate any help here:)

eldorado1
01-24-05, 11:13 PM
This may sound like a dumb question, but which letter/number of the VIN should we be looking at when determining this....my VIN has both a 9 and a Y in it. And where would you find the model number on the car??? Would appreciate any help here:)

8th digit. What do you mean by model number? You mean model or something? If so, just type the vin into carfax.com, and it'll show you the year make and model......