: Re: Just joined

BELLS
05-26-13, 11:36 AM
Hi people... I have a 1980 coupe deville I think... Had it about twelve years and have never got round to getting it on the road.. It won a lot of shows before I got hold of it and its only done 17,000 miles... I start it every four or five months and because of the Scottish weather I'm sad to say its pretty much an 18ft plant pot.. I just keep waiting till I've got enough money to restore it properly before I use it.. Like most people when I've got the money my kids have always got a birthday or Christmas....Anyway I've tried for ages to find out exactly what model it is and have looked through loads of Cadillac pics and websites and cant find one... I've found a few that I thought were the same but it always seems that my rear window is a lot smaller.. I've spent the last two hours looking through pics on this site but just the same result....if someone could let me know what model to buy parts for... Well if you've read all that and you can help then please reply...
If you own one of the amazing cars I've seen on here then go easy on me for just letting it grow roots.....I had to take the front seats out because of all the grass growing on the carpets....

Thanks guys

cadillac kevin
05-26-13, 11:41 AM
The rear window is the full size rear window as opposed to the optional opera window (which was standard on broughams if I remmeber correctly)

jayoldschool
05-26-13, 12:33 PM
That car is going to be rusted out if you don't get it out of there.

SafariOne
05-26-13, 12:36 PM
It is kind of sad to see the old girl in the weeds but it still has good bones to work with. I'm surprised the diesel will still fire up with the old fuel in her. When you do get started the parts will be quite easy to find with all the help on this sire. The shipping is always an added expense as well. Make it an project to pass on to your kids.

Robin Banx
05-26-13, 12:41 PM
From show winner to parts car in 12 easy years.....................kinda brings tears to one's eyes.

R.

Cadillacboy
05-26-13, 02:52 PM
This sick coupe deserves better days

cadillac_al
05-26-13, 08:12 PM
The old beauty queen ain't going to be winning any more trophies. It does look like it could be saved easy enough.

cadillac kevin
05-26-13, 08:41 PM
I'd like to know how the carpet grew grass....either the windows were down/ leak like crazy, or the floor is gone.

csbuckn
05-26-13, 08:57 PM
I bet if you fill the tires and moved it out that spot, you'd get some inspiration to start working on it. Maybe push some new plywood under it every couple of years to block the weeds. Might be the cheapest way to keep the roots from growing under it. Maybe find another coupe and use that one as parts.

1980coupe
05-26-13, 10:29 PM
That's a regular coupe deville...
Cadillac kevin- rear window or side windows? When the side windows are smaller then its the brougham coupe, when the rear window is a full size window but its covered by the vinyl top, when the car has a vinyl delete, you'll see the full size of it..
The one pictured has a diesel engine. That side emblem on the front fender is where the emblem goes..has the same interior as mine, antique saddle, color code 603...

cadillac kevin
05-26-13, 10:56 PM
That's a regular coupe deville...
Cadillac kevin- rear window or side windows? When the side windows are smaller then its the brougham coupe, when the rear window is a full size window but its covered by the vinyl top, when the car has a vinyl delete, you'll see the full size of it..
The one pictured has a diesel engine. That side emblem on the front fender is where the emblem goes..has the same interior as mine, antique saddle, color code 603...

Rear window.....it's not 100% size (has maybe an inch or 2 each side covered by the vinyl top), but it seems alot harder to find (at least around here) than the opera window.

YoshiMan
05-27-13, 12:29 AM
So long as the undercarriage is in good shape and not totally rotted out, that car will probably clean up quite nicely. Does it still have the Diesel engine?

1980coupe
05-27-13, 03:54 AM
Don't know about the undercarriage, inside of car has grass growing on carpet, probably floorboards are gone...
I got dibs on the grille..

----------

Rear window.....it's not 100% size (has maybe an inch or 2 each side covered by the vinyl top), but it seems alot harder to find (at least around here) than the opera window.
Yeah, on fleetwoods the rear window is smaller due to the thicker/wider frame around the perimeter. So the rear windows on coupes with small vinyl edges are harder to find??? Guess it makes sense, you can put a brougham window on the coupe but it'll have black edges due to the vinyl extending more onto the window than the ones found on the coupes...I was lucky to find the same rear window on my then 80 brougham coupe and with defrost...

brougham
05-27-13, 04:38 AM
It looks like it was a nice car at one point. Things don't look very promising with it sinking into the ground like that :(

1980coupe
05-27-13, 10:53 AM
My old brougham coupe was like that. It took the tow truck a while to get it out on flat tires, once on level ground, surprisingly they held air.

pompste
05-30-13, 03:56 AM
Amazing what mother nature does to anything left out in the elements too long.

BELLS
06-03-13, 04:33 AM
Thanks for the replies... The floor is still solid and yeah it still has the origonal diesel engine..
Where on the front can I attach a rope to pull it out???

1980coupe
06-03-13, 08:01 AM
Perhaps maybe the front crossmember, where the engine sits???

csbuckn
06-03-13, 09:12 AM
Around a bumper piston.

talismandave
06-03-13, 09:13 AM
This is really going to be a fun project to follow. I look forward to seeing this great Cadillac being brought back to it's glory!