: back up sensor

mike5514
05-26-13, 09:23 AM
I ordered a back up sensor pkg.for my dts has anyone installed one on their car? Mike

HartfordGuy
05-27-13, 10:14 PM
Which kit is it? Rostra brand?

mike5514
05-28-13, 09:48 AM
Its a xd-066 led display car reverse backup radar with 4 parking sensors.

I plan on placing the receiving unit on the back shelf and taping into the reverse light wire, Installing the sensors in the rear bumper I think will be a problem. Is there enough room between plastic and metal?

I was hoping there would already be a factory wire I could use. Mike

big greg
05-28-13, 04:51 PM
It will be tough. I think you'd be better off removing the back bumper cover

hauler
06-09-13, 11:22 PM
I posted this in the cts forum section:

I got my xd-066 kit for my birthday. The inexpensive kit works quite well, but the installation was painful. I wouldn't do it on anyone else's car for less than $500, but I took a lot of care to make it unobtrusive. I also tested the components and their possible locations before starting installation.

I put my hand up behind the bumper fascia where I wanted to locate the sensors and found that there was about 1.25 inches of plastic foam between the fascia and the steel bumper, which was enough room. I used the hole saw provided with the kit to cut through the fascia and into the foam. Then I used a small sharp screwdriver to chip out foam until the sensor could fit in without binding on the foam.

As far as a factory connection goes, I was not able to determine a fuse connection in my cts wagon for the led backup lights, so I tapped the 12 volt auxiliary power outlet in the console and ran a wire to the steering wheel housing, where I put a small rocker switch in the bottom of the housing. From there I ran the power to the xd-066 in the rear of my Sportwagon. I don't always need it to park, but since I prefer backing into parking spaces, I find it very useful.

In the end, I like having the sensor display, especially with my low hanging trailer hitch that I use to transport bicycles.

It's amazing, but the body color spray paint can for the sensors to match the bumper cost more than the kit. Electronics really are cheap, or maybe paint is really expensive. - Dave

mike5514
09-30-13, 01:47 PM
Sensor instillation and testing results.

Installed the sensors on the bumper, holes were easy to drill ran wires to passenger side and into trunk through a existing grommet. Sending unit ground wire went to the existing ground at the right rear corner of trunk. Power came from back up lamp wire going into tail lamp assembly. Placed indicator on back shelf and ran wire down through side to sending unit.

With unit on back shelf I can see it pretty good volume could be better first warning beep comes on about 5 ft. from target I tried it on cars, field fencing, a wood lattice and myself.

I always look back so Im looking right at the display I cant bring myself to trust it in entirety. Mike

TopherS
10-02-13, 12:31 PM
I always look back so Im looking right at the display I cant bring myself to trust it in entirety. Mike

I hear you. I have the factory system on both my wife's car and my car and have had that on another car I once owned (2001 Buick Park Avenue). I love the feature. The previous owner of my DTS had a backup camera installed. Even with the camera and the backup sensors, I still look around like mad when reversing...it's hard to get used to relying solely on the electronics.

I've installed 2 aftermarket systems in another car (I thought the first one malfunctioned after about a year, so I bought another one and replaced the first one...only to find out that when I ran the wire to the backup lights on the first one, I ran it next to a plastic trim piece edge that eventually cut through the wire...ugh...but I digress). It is scary to start drilling into your bumper cover, but with time and patience, the outcome can be very much worth it.