: Whats the better option, OEM Exaust Manifold or aftermarket headers? 85 Eldorado

TheChicagoan
05-26-13, 02:10 AM
Manifold has a leak. We already removed the cat converter and put on a straight pipe. Now we need to know if sticking with original equipment is best for this design, or aftermarket headers would be better?

Thanks in advance,

TheChicagoan

gold01ca
05-26-13, 10:23 AM
I'm anxious to hear feedback on this as well.

CaddyGas
05-26-13, 05:12 PM
It depends what type of sound you want. Original manifold with a flowmaster, glasspack etc sounds good. Headers will just be louder.

cadillac kevin
05-26-13, 09:51 PM
Do they even make headers for the 4100?

CaddyGas
05-27-13, 02:45 AM
Not that I know of.

carnut
05-29-13, 06:43 PM
No headers available. If its the drivers side manifold, they get loose to the head over the years because of the heat stove shield around it. Remove the shield and check the bolts to the head, retorque as necc. My experience on that era of car is it might ping with any exhaust mod that would reduce exhaust back pressure. The EGR valve requires back pressure to open fully and at the correct time.

TheChicagoan
05-30-13, 12:16 AM
No headers available. If its the drivers side manifold, they get loose to the head over the years because of the heat stove shield around it. Remove the shield and check the bolts to the head, retorque as necc. My experience on that era of car is it might ping with any exhaust mod that would reduce exhaust back pressure. The EGR valve requires back pressure to open fully and at the correct time.

Dang, headers would have been cool. Nonetheless, my main concern right now is to repair whatever it is that's leaking carbon monoxide inside the car. I literally can only drive it 15 minutes before I start getting really sick. Could it be that the EGR valve not working be causing this? Or is the exhaust manifold the more likely perpetrator? I cannot see any cracks in the manifold itself, but my guess would be the manifold.

carnut
05-30-13, 01:58 PM
Without a cat converter, carbon monoxide increases! Can you hear the exh leak or just assume it leaks because of the getting sick? I would have preferred you checked the manifold bolts first before posting again. With a converter, untreated exhaust is present ahead of it. Without one, the whole exhaust can produce it.