: 2008 V8 Steering wheel doesn't lock when key removed

xboxman72
05-25-13, 09:59 PM
I have a 2008 SRX V8 AWD sport with 102000 miles, at about 90000 miles, the front end started a clunking rattle. I replaced the stabilizer bar linkage on the driver side and the problem was solved. The driver side bearing was replaced a little while later due to a bad speed sensor.

just recently the same sound has returned and is getting worse by the day, when I tested the wheel for slack, I found none top to bottom but when twisting the tire side to side, I noticed that the steering column no longer locks. I can move the tire as far as i want and the steering wheel just turns.

Can these issues be related? What failure is allowing the steering wheel to turn freely with the key out of the ignition?

Did the wheel ever lock? I thought it did. Are they supposed to?

weccjc67
05-26-13, 12:47 PM
My 2007 SRX has never locked. I found that strange because every GM vehicle I have ever owned always locked. Many Many years ago I had a 78 Toyota Corolla SR5 and that never locked. Hmm I wonder.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-28-13, 09:13 PM
I have a 2008 SRX V8 AWD sport with 102000 miles, at about 90000 miles, the front end started a clunking rattle. I replaced the stabilizer bar linkage on the driver side and the problem was solved. The driver side bearing was replaced a little while later due to a bad speed sensor.

just recently the same sound has returned and is getting worse by the day, when I tested the wheel for slack, I found none top to bottom but when twisting the tire side to side, I noticed that the steering column no longer locks. I can move the tire as far as i want and the steering wheel just turns.

Can these issues be related? What failure is allowing the steering wheel to turn freely with the key out of the ignition?

Did the wheel ever lock? I thought it did. Are they supposed to?

Hello xboxman72,

I apologize that you are experiencing the same sound again with your SRX. I don’t know if the issues are related because I do not have any technical expertise, but I would be more than happy to call the dealership you are working with on your behalf and ask them if this has anything to do with what you are experiencing. If you would like me to assist you just send me a private message with your name, contact info, VIN, address, and dealership you are working with. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

08SRX
05-29-13, 11:41 AM
Mine does not lock either. I am not sure if Cadillac steering wheels are supposed to lock. It is somewhat nice not to have it lock.

conedoctor
05-29-13, 12:04 PM
Mine either.

I don't think it does lock, could not find anything in the service manual about a lock.