Cadillac Owners Forum banner

08 STS stereo?

5K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  ECha3 
#1 ·
I want to put a aftermarket touch screen in my car... Will that replace my driver settings controls and will I still be able to change my driver/car settings?

#10 ·
I've read that referenced thread a number of times and it's great. That procedure has stood the test of time. Do we still face the same challenges in 2013 with loosing driver's personal settings if we switch to an aftermarket system? I'm just curious since I see all of these adapters and wiring kits that allow you to retain original factory controls and settings. So outside of driver personal settings are there any other functions that you loose by going aftermarket?

#14 ·
Thanks again. So much for simplicity. Is the procedure as much involved as polar bear's adding navi to non navi? I was originally wanting navi but would settle for at least satellite. But looks like 6 disc changer is where I may end up. Can I even add a sub to my non nav 8 speaker Bose system?

Thanks again!!! I really appreciate the feedback.

#18 ·
There may be after-market add-in modules available for the base radio if you're just after XM, Bluetooth audio or a line-in. The OEM Nav is a long-way around to get that. While it may be the easiest way to get Nav, full functionality may not be a practical (cost effective) goal. Members advising trading for another STS to get desired features are making a valid point.

I'd say the way to start is to be sure what's most important to you and then evaluate the alternatives. Unfortunately, the STS wasn't sold/produced in large enough numbers for a lot of aftermarket solutions but members have found several. If all you want is XM, there are several ways to get there: (it was available on base & nav OEM's and then aftermatket options). If your heart is set on a full-blown system, I remember reading a post from a member who found a module that would let him store the base car settings without keeping the radio. (That may not help owners that want to replace their OEM nav but it solves that concern for you.)

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.