: HID Headlight question

Mr. Mohr
05-25-13, 08:31 PM
The inside wiring of one of my headlights is different than the other:banghead:. The 2 wires that go from the ballast to the HID bulb pass through a black cylinder on one of my lights. Anybody know what this is?

repnatl
05-26-13, 12:55 AM
Picture?

Mr. Mohr
05-26-13, 10:03 AM
It's such a pain to remove the headlights, I'm not taking them out until I know what to do with them once they're out. Both are HID headlamps, one is a 12 pin ballast, that has the black cylinder I'm talking about. The other was a replacement that was a 4 pin ballast that I swapped over to a 12 pin. That headlamps does not have this black cylinder thing. That headlamps also just went out, so I'm wondering if it has something to do with it. That side was also a slightly different color light, slightly more white, then bluish-white.

conedoctor
05-26-13, 10:39 AM
As the bulb ages it will change colour, change as pairs.

Mr. Mohr
05-26-13, 04:11 PM
It was a pair, one was out for a couple weeks, then put back in.

CoolATIGuy
07-09-13, 02:31 AM
I know what you're talking about, just walked in from messing with mine that were causing issues...unfortunately I'm not sure either. I assumed it was some sort of relay or inline fuse or somesuch. Already had the 1st one buttoned up when I noticed it in the 2nd, so I'm not sure if they both have it but I imagine so.

These 12 pin ballasts are a nightmare...I'm new to the HID world, the concept of needing a ballast for a HEADLIGHT baffles me, along with taking apart the front grill just to replace a bulb. And now on top of course we have the 12 pin made-of-solid-gold ballasts that are all but extinct..