: Got new tires

TTJR-CTS-V
01-19-05, 06:35 PM
Well got new tires today to replace the worn out and useless F1's. The tire shop (Belle tire) could not believe how worn they were. Anyway I got a set of Kelly Charger HPT all season for the winter months. They are V rated tire so I will have to keep it below 149MPH!!! Can't believe the difference in traction, and much quieter too. The old run flats are extremely hard to get off the rims, very stiff. Oh well check them out at kellytires.com and you can see what they look like. I only paid 150 per tire too, which did not seem bad for price and they are great looking. Just some FYI for my fellow friends!:D

TTJR-CTS-V
01-20-05, 09:17 AM
After one day of driving with the new tires, I can't believe I waited so long to make the change. This new tire has so much better traction than the F1's and they don't wander all over the road either. If anyone is looking for a great, inexpensive all season tire this one gets my vote, and the tread design and sidewall look fantastic!

CTSV05
01-20-05, 10:07 AM
Do they have the same stance and fill the wheelwell the same?

TTJR-CTS-V
01-20-05, 11:51 AM
Looks like it to me, according to the specs, same tread width but have 10\32 depth new as opposed to 9\32 with the F-1's. They are a V rated tire too, so no top end runs to 165! Like I said the ride is much better, does not seem to hunt back and forth on wavy roads like the Goodyears. According to Belle tire these tires are made by Goodyear? I complained to Cadillac and they said they were "sorry". I told them in two years that the SRT-8 300C would be my next car.......

Rickerbucks
01-20-05, 12:11 PM
With the utmost respect folks, the CTS V is a high performance car and the F1's are a mega high performance tire. ALL tires with these characteristics have a low life expectancy. I understand that many perhpas did not appreciate as much when they bought the car and perhaps caddy should bring it to peoples attention but its not that the tires are the problem per se. Thats what they do. They allow for a run flat, drive hard, drive fast, sure footed driving experience and the price one pays is tread life.

Having said that, I'll not be replacing them. Probably go with the GS-D3's but I'm not sure what their life is going to be either.

TTJR-CTS-V
01-20-05, 03:17 PM
It would be nice if the dealer would know about their product, and then pass it on to the customer. I for one would have liked to know that the F1 tire is useless for winter time, actually let me change that to dangerous. Put it in the sales brochure, summer only driving, will need winter tires. Don't get me wrong, I love the car but with all of the reading I did before my purchase of the car, the tires did not seem to be an issue. I have owned two Corvettes and one SVT Mustang and had lots of fun with both and the tires lasted much longer. Not complaining, just explaining!!!

RobzBLKV
01-20-05, 03:32 PM
TTJR, I am curious - you obviously have experience with high performance cars and I am sure you know what a good max performance tire can do for you - why would you ruin the car with all seasons (not to pejorative, eh?)? You might get better traction now if it is cold where you live or there is snow on the ground, but you know they are going to suck compared to a summer tire in the summer and you will have artificially capped the performance of your car. As I said, just curious.

TTJR-CTS-V
01-20-05, 05:24 PM
Good question, but I will worry about that in the summer. I need to be able to get around for the next few months here in Michigan. In the spring I will most likely get another set of summer tires, I did keep my front F1's so maybe I will get two more then. The Goodyear GS-D3 is supposed to be a good alternative also. Anyway I have some time to figure it out. Even though though the Kelly's were a cheep tire, they look great and seem to give very good performance.

RobzBLKV
01-20-05, 10:15 PM
Fair enough. Again, out of curiousity, then why not snow tires for the rest of the winter?

TTJR-CTS-V
01-20-05, 10:51 PM
These Kelly charger HPT are all season type tire, very good so far in the snow and ice. My front tires (F1's) are still ok, so I could buy two new ones in the spring and be ready to go. The only bad thing is the Goodyears are really hard to remove from the rims, I guess because of the EMT run flat design. I took over an hour to change them to the new tires. Like I said before the difference in driveablility between the F1's and the Chargers are like night and day. The Supercar tire is flat out worthless in the cold , snow, anyone driving with them in the winter is taking a big risk...

SlvrVee
01-20-05, 11:23 PM
TTJR I am not knocking your choice of tires, but Are you sure that you got all season tires? I went to Kelly Tires and had a look at their catalog. The charger HPT is listed in the catalog under "performance tire" not all season. I am copying from their site but they describe it as ChargerŪ HPT HIGH PERFORMANCE RADIAL and also said the following:

Directional tread design with a continuous centerline rib gives this tire outstanding wet and dry traction while providing a smooth and quiet ride.

I didn't see anything about snow. Again pls I am not knocking your tires just curious about the snow bit :confused:

Thanks

skides1
01-20-05, 11:42 PM
Hey TTJ,
Check the "Treadwear" rating on the Kelly's. I am betting the number is twice the EMT's. I also bet the "wheel-hop" is gone too due to the "harder" rubber compound. I used to use "soft compound" ("treadwear" rating of 220or below") on my high performance cars, now after having used BF and Goodyear "hard compound" All-season grips, I will never buy 400.00 tires again. Comparison: on an LS-1 Z, I went through 4 thousand dollars worth of "summer" 160(treadwear) tires in less miles than one 420(treadwear) set. EMT's are notorious for stiff sidewalls. I bet your ride is better too.

TTJR-CTS-V
01-21-05, 07:17 AM
I noticed the same thing when I went to their web site, but the salesperson told me they were all season and on the side of the tire its stamped M+S. For sure has a better ride and are verry grippy. We will see how they do when the roads are dry and I can really get on it!!!

thebigjimsho
01-22-05, 02:59 AM
It would be nice if the dealer would know about their product, and then pass it on to the customer. I for one would have liked to know that the F1 tire is useless for winter time, actually let me change that to dangerous. Put it in the sales brochure, summer only driving, will need winter tires. Don't get me wrong, I love the car but with all of the reading I did before my purchase of the car, the tires did not seem to be an issue. I have owned two Corvettes and one SVT Mustang and had lots of fun with both and the tires lasted much longer. Not complaining, just explaining!!!
I have to be honest, I am surprised on your lack of knowledge of performance tires considering the vehicles you've owned. Anyone who has owned any High-performance tire should realize you do not drive them in snow, nevermind a Maximum Performance tire. I am constantly amazed at how many people do not recognize this. Maybe the dealer thought you knew better. All it takes is one little look at the sidewall. You also made a statement about buying an SRT-8. Sorry but Chrysler will be telling you sorry as well, because they will be coming with 19" F1 Supercar Runflats.

For all the crap the Supercars are getting, one complaint that isn't there is the tremendous dry grip they provide. As for winter driving, I do not drive the V when there is snow. I decided against buying snows since I do not depend on the V as my only vehicle. But, I was out driving tonight and it was 0 Fahrenheit. There was no problem with the tries. They may get squirrely a little more easily than an all-season, but they are not dangerous unless you're driving like a madman. Combine with traction control and Stabilitrak, and there is no problem. I'm not replacing by F1s with more, I will be buying something else. But I am not going to tear these apart because it seems popular.

thebigjimsho
01-22-05, 03:06 AM
Hey TTJ,
Check the "Treadwear" rating on the Kelly's. I am betting the number is twice the EMT's. I also bet the "wheel-hop" is gone too due to the "harder" rubber compound. I used to use "soft compound" ("treadwear" rating of 220or below") on my high performance cars, now after having used BF and Goodyear "hard compound" All-season grips, I will never buy 400.00 tires again. Comparison: on an LS-1 Z, I went through 4 thousand dollars worth of "summer" 160(treadwear) tires in less miles than one 420(treadwear) set. EMT's are notorious for stiff sidewalls. I bet your ride is better too.
Treadwear ratings are useless unless comparing within a brand. You can't reliably compare a treadwear rating from a Goodyear to say, a Yokohama. And the wheelhop will remain. The tire is NOT the culprit.

Tires are compromises. If there was one that would last for 80,000 miles, could repel water and stick as well as a race slick, we'd all have the same set. But you can't have it all. As for me, I will not go for all-season cheapies when all I care about is dry traction. If you don't like the F1s, fine. I'm looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 as my next tire. Hopefully on 19"s.

TTJR-CTS-V
01-22-05, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the comments about my lack of knowledge, next time I will be more informed. As for the Chrysler SRT-8, the tires are 20 inch in size and yes it comes with the F1"s but as an option high performance all season tires are available. See I am allready smarter........End of story

CVP33
01-22-05, 12:27 PM
Seriously bigjim try to sound a little more condenscending. :)

KJTROT
01-22-05, 02:06 PM
I have the same problem with the F1's (8500 miles)so Cadillac just put two new ones on the "V" after several calls to customer service and the dealers help. I expect to be speaking to them again in about a month when the other two get to the wear bars. I was told by the dealer if more owners complain about the poor milage it might be enough of a publicity problem for them and have a recall on the tires. This is my daily driver (10 miles) each way in traffic so there is no wheel spinning of any kind.
By the way, be very careful when temperatures get into the teens with these tires. The tires act like you are driving on small ball bearings when the mercury dips.
In my opinion these are totaly unsafe in sub freezing temperatures.
Any Comments! :rant2:

cdog533
01-22-05, 02:58 PM
Here's what I've found works: Keep performance tires on the car ALL year long. On the 20 or so snowy days, drive at 10 mph and pray. Try to stay out of the irritated Honda drivers' way... shake your fist and curse "IF was was only dry you little rice burning POS...etc." under your breath.

Even this didn't help me with those run flats once they were worn.... I switched to the GS-D3's. Still bad, but not as bad. I hope I can get to April without throwing it in a ditch (greasy side down please).

skides1
01-24-05, 05:35 AM
Bigjim
The treadware rating is a federally standardized test developed for the consumer to compare different brands.

benjet
01-24-05, 03:09 PM
Bigjim
The treadware rating is a federally standardized test developed for the consumer to compare different brands.

Not exactly.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/utqg.jsp

RobzBLKV
01-24-05, 03:43 PM
Bigjim

We can only wish!! It seems like there should be a way to make a standard like this and it seems like most companies would voluntarily participate, but not yet. Actually, now that I think about it, we might lose traction options if a standard like that did come into wide use (and people cared more about that rating then about the performance the tires would give).

For now, though, Benjet's link is a good read.

Groo-V
01-24-05, 04:54 PM
I'm at 4900 miles and I'm at the wear bars on my right rear. This is my daily driver as well (20 miles each way) and haven't been hitting it hard at all. Did Cadillac give you much grief over this? Buying tires every 5000 miles is ridiculous unless you drive it real hard.

TTJR-CTS-V
01-24-05, 05:12 PM
I received a call today from Cadillac and also an email. They seemed very concerned and want to help? I missed his phone call , so not sure what they have in mind. I appreciated the response, but Its my fault for being dumb!

KJTROT
01-24-05, 06:02 PM
Keep after the service manager and the Cdillac service rep. They know the tires are inadequate for a daily driver hence the two new tires I recieved. I am also fairly certain that I will end up with two more once I hit the wear bars in the near future.

If I use a annual figure of 15000 miles per year and the cost of the tires in my area (Charlotte NC), I would come out spending around $150 / month just for the privledge of having the F1's on my car.

For that amount of money give me a spare and a lesser performing tire. If I wanted to race the thing I would get what ever tire was the best performer.

I would hope that as more "V" cars are on the road Cadillac will do something to keep any negative press away from the flagship STS "V" and the same type of rubber.
Any further comments? :hmm:

CTSV05
01-24-05, 06:07 PM
Well, thankfully we have a '91 Busburban for those nasty days.

I will say, this is my first exp. with "Ultra" hp tires, and it took some getting used to, but then I didn't get the V for trips to the arctic.

Of course, just 'cuz we have it, its the snowiest season in several years!!!

Damn Global Warming....if only it were true!

thebigjimsho
01-24-05, 06:47 PM
Seriously bigjim try to sound a little more condenscending. :)
You're right. Let me restate my post.

Anyone who has owned any High-performance tire should realize you do not drive them in snow, nevermind a Maximum Performance tire. I am constantly amazed at how many people do not recognize this. Maybe the dealer thought you knew better. All it takes is one little look at the sidewall. You also made a statement about buying an SRT-8. Sorry but Chrysler will be telling you sorry as well, because they will be coming with 19" F1 Supercar Runflats.

For all the crap the Supercars are getting, one complaint that isn't there is the tremendous dry grip they provide. As for winter driving, I do not drive the V when there is snow. I decided against buying snows since I do not depend on the V as my only vehicle. But, I was out driving tonight and it was 0 Fahrenheit. There was no problem with the tries. They may get squirrely a little more easily than an all-season, but they are not dangerous unless you're driving like a madman. Combine with traction control and Stabilitrak, and there is no problem. I'm not replacing by F1s with more, I will be buying something else. But I am not going to tear these apart because it seems popular.

...................I believe the reason I posted earlier in the tone I did was because I think it is ludicrous to blame your local Cadillac dealer for not informing you of the F1s winter capabilities, which is to say, there is none. M5s, E55s and our beloved Vs come with Max Performance tires because these manufacturers believe that these vehicles deserve such. And I, for one, agree with them. I don't want compromises when it comes to all out grip. Which is why Chrysler is offering an all-season option which is(GASP!) the Goodyear Eagle RS/A.

We have people suing now over the dumbest things. My Dunkin Donuts coffee cup HAS to state the contents may be hot. DUH! I guess we need to put big red warning stickers on our V's winshields saying "Equipped with Goodyear F1 Supercars. Warning: Tires may kill you in the event of snow."

CaddyGeek
01-24-05, 06:51 PM
I have owned two Corvettes and one SVT Mustang and had lots of fun with both and the tires lasted much longer.

Agreed. I have F1s on the vette and changed all 4 tires twice, at 21K miles and then 24K miles later.

CVP33
01-24-05, 07:44 PM
I guess we need to put big red warning stickers on our V's winshields saying "Equipped with Goodyear F1 Supercars. Warning: Tires may kill you in the event of snow."

LOL. You made my day. True. Sad but true. :)

Groo-V
01-24-05, 07:50 PM
I received a call today from Cadillac and also an email. They seemed very concerned and want to help? I missed his phone call , so not sure what they have in mind. I appreciated the response, but Its my fault for being dumb!

Did you just call the Cadillac corporate customer service or did you go through the dealer? The more I think about 4900 miles to the wear bar, the more irritated I get. I'd appreciate it if you can let me know how make out.

TTJR-CTS-V
01-24-05, 10:49 PM
Thanks to all for the info, and thoughts. Time to move on though, oh and Bigjim, lets get it right, the 300C SRT-8 has 20 inch rims not 19 and oh yeh they do offer high perf all season tires......as an option.

thebigjimsho
01-25-05, 01:16 PM
Thanks to all for the info, and thoughts. Time to move on though, oh and Bigjim, lets get it right, the 300C SRT-8 has 20 inch rims not 19 and oh yeh they do offer high perf all season tires......as an option.
My last post has my original post just pasted. I did not mean to post that the SRT-8 has 19". That was a slip originally and another slip for not changing that when I pasted the comment again. Hey, at least you got something right.......I KID, I KID!!!!!

TTJR-CTS-V
01-25-05, 03:23 PM
I guess at this point the best thing for me to do is laugh about it! At least I got a good set of winter tires, then in the spring I will buy two more F1's......:bonkers:

thebigjimsho
01-25-05, 03:53 PM
I guess at this point the best thing for me to do is laugh about it! At least I got a good set of winter tires, then in the spring I will buy two more F1's......:bonkers:
I have 2 new F1s going on the back of the V this week. I hope to put race rubber on the stock wheels and get 19s with Pilot Sport 2s in the spring. If I still have significant rubber on those rears, I'll let you know.