: 1983 2 door brougham 4.1L V8 coolant flush

caddy1983
05-25-13, 02:57 AM
My coolant was replaced about 2-3 years ago. Coolant is still green. Should I do a complete flush(which flush fluid name brand do you guys recommend)or just a drain and fill. If I do a drain and fill do I need to bleed the system? Should I use the coolant tabs (how many do I need and do I use these tabs when doing a drain and fill) from the dealer or should I use the brand(cant remember the name) that I can buy at autozone
or any parts place. is there a write up om this flush?

The Ape Man
05-25-13, 01:16 PM
Flush is a gimmick 95 percent of the time if the vehicle has no problems and has been reasonably maintained. Use the coolant tabs from the dealershit it they still sell them.

j2rossit
05-25-13, 03:06 PM
the dealership should be able to get you the ACDelco tabs (they're cheap).
Just a drain and flush should be fine. It's good to do it at least every couple years with the HT-4100.

caddy1983
05-25-13, 03:13 PM
how many tabs do I need? how do i add them to my coolant? if i do the drain and fill, do i have to bleed the system?

j2rossit
05-25-13, 09:38 PM
The system bleeds itself.
You should add 1 tab for every 2 quarts of fresh fluid added to the radiator.
You should fill the rad up (not right to the top, leave an inch or two), start the car with the rad cap off and wait for the thermostat to open. When the fluid starts circulating, crush up the tabs and start adding the powder to the flowing coolant. Top the rad off and check the coolant level after it has completely warmed up.