: Brake Checking What do you think of it?

danbuc
01-18-05, 10:17 PM
I was just wondering what people thought about brake checking.

I think that brake checking is one of the most dangerous things that can be done on the road. Anyone who can justify slamming their brakes on in the middle of traffic, simply because they feel they are driving fast enough, should be removed from there car, and beaten with their own shoe. They should have this done to them, until they realize that they are not only endangering their life, but the lives of many others on the road. I never understood why someone would not move to the right, when politely flashed from a safe distance. When someone flashes me, I move over. It's the curtious thing to do. If they don't flash me, and ride my bumper, I speed up. I NEVER BRAKE. Just because the person behind you is a better driver, capable of safely handling faster speeds than you, is no reason to try and kill them, just because you don't drive that fast. You should move and let them pass, or at least speed up until they stop riding your bumper.

I'll never forget the time I flashed a CATERA from about 4 car lengths away, while I was approching him. He was doing 55mph, and I was doing 65mph. Instead of moving to the right, or speeding up, he locked up his brakes in front of me to the point where they were starting to smoke. Since I was 4 car lenghts behind, I still managed to stop in time. I was lucky that the 20 or so cars behind me were able to stop also. There was traffic in the right lane that was doing 55mph also. If there wasn't, I would have passed him on the right, and been on my way. This person did this twice, before I turned my brights on, and left them on. At this point, they moved over, and I gave them the finger as I passed. Looking in my rearview mirror, I noticed that the 2 people behind me also did this.

This is the kind of person that should not be driving a car on the highway. They consider themselves a vigilante, and try to take matters into their own hands. This is the kind of attitude thats gets people killed. I don't like it, and I tell them so, every chance I get. :mad:

illumina
01-18-05, 11:19 PM
i'm no angel and have done this before. some people around here (insert *******s here) drive like freakin' dipshits and ride your tail on purpose. THAT i don't like because what if someone in front of me has to brake hard and i have to do likewise? the idiot behind me will no doubt cause an accident into my rear-end and press my car into the car in front of me. not good...:helpless:

that said, i'll agree that brake checking is not a great thing to do. usually if someone is driving too slow in front of me, i'll just blow past them them and not worry about it :devil:

Dadillac
01-18-05, 11:28 PM
I drive the NJ Turnpike 5 days a week, so I am qualified for my opinion. First, never, and I mean never, allow someone else, to influence, how you drive. If they are tailgating, do not drive faster than you want to. Everyone has a cruising level. Do not break it. When someone is on my back bumper (which is rather rare, as I drive 75-85 average) I increase my following distance, to the car in front of me. Now, if I am driving speed limit, to 10 mph over the speed limit, I will move to the right, as soon as possible. But, if I am driving 20 mph or more above the limit, the car behind will just have to find a way around me. If the car behind, just likes to follow too close (we have all encountered drivers like this), I will show my brake lights, without slowing down. I tap the brakes, while I am still on the accelerator, just hard enough for the lights to shine. This will almost always cause the tailgater to back off, or drive around. I do not get involved in the road rage crap. If some jerk, is pissed at me, and drives next to me, to get my attention, I just ignore them. When someone gets me so mad I could spit, I slow down, cool off rather quickly, and proceed on. But most important, as stated above, i do not allow anyones driving, to influence, how i drive, ever.

Don

evilrussian
01-18-05, 11:33 PM
i'm no angel and have done this before. some people around here (insert *******s here) drive like freakin' dipshits and ride your tail on purpose. THAT i don't like because what if someone in front of me has to brake hard and i have to do likewise? the idiot behind me will no doubt cause an accident into my rear-end and press my car into the car in front of me. not good...:helpless:

that said, i'll agree that brake checking is not a great thing to do. usually if someone is driving too slow in front of me, i'll just blow past them them and not worry about it :devil:
Yeah, I was a victim of that. Some idiot was driving like an ass, sverwing behind me in and out of the traffic, and I saw him a block before... Didn't brake check him and guess what happens on the next traffic light? Some cars ran on red, some didn't, everybody braked... domino effect and I was the last person to stop in time, and this dumbass ran into my Acura, nothing big but annoying as hell, I hate when a virgin car takes a hit.

danbuc
01-18-05, 11:56 PM
A slight tap on the brakes with no change in speedis fine by me. The people I really don't like are those who slow their car down, just to prove a point. Just a slight tap is fine. I've got nothing against that. It the people like that ass in the Catera, that should not be allowed to drive on public roads. I thinks I came across a little too angry in my previous post. I got into an argument with a bunch of tractor drivin' hicks (no offense Tractorboy). These are the kind of people that will say s**t like, "You know if you have a car you want to get rid of, just brake check someone so they hit you. Then you can total the car and collect on insurance". These are the kind of people that really deserve a swift kick in the ass, and nice blow to the head to knock some sense into them. :helpless:

davesdeville
01-19-05, 12:07 AM
I will show my brake lights, without slowing down. I tap the brakes, while I am still on the accelerator, just hard enough for the lights to shine. This will almost always cause the tailgater to back off, or drive around.

That's what I do. And give a big middle finger.

ShadowLvr400
01-19-05, 02:26 AM
I had someone pull that on me once and they learned their lesson the hard way not to do that. They pulled it down to about 30 on a 70 mph highway, I dove to the shoulder, the 18 wheeler behind me couldn't. That little Honda got punted about 80 yards. 6 other cars nearly wrecked because of the moron in the old accord. We all stayed to inform the cops that it was NOT the 18 wheeler's fault. The skid marks from where the accord had locked trying to get me to rear end him were still visible. The accord got the ticket.

majax
01-19-05, 04:15 AM
great stories

here is what you do if you are on a 2 lane highway and the guy in front of you is tailgating the guy infront of him. Once the road turns 4 lanes get up alongside the person in front of the tailgater and trap them behind you and the other dude. If that makes sense

I have never passed anyone in my life(so far) and as for the flash to pass well as long as they use their turn signal good I'm okay.

ShadowLvr400
01-19-05, 10:54 AM
great stories

here is what you do if you are on a 2 lane highway and the guy in front of you is tailgating the guy infront of him. Once the road turns 4 lanes get up alongside the person in front of the tailgater and trap them behind you and the other dude. If that makes sense

That's so obvious, and so rude... It is not your job to regulate other people's speed through traffic. That kind of thing is why some people pull out guns and open fire on other drivers. Additionally, if any emergency vehicles need to get by, you in your desire to control other people's driving, have now created a situation where you're blocking the entire flow of traffic, including the emergency vehicle. Why? Because YOU wanted to proove that you could stop someone else from speeding.
And what if the person speeding has a reason to? Hmm? Ever think of that? Maybe his wife is in the backseat delivering a kid. Maybe someone they care for has been in an accident and they're in the hospital in bad shape. Maybe they're late for work and going to get fired, because some ***** like you wants to keep everyone at speed limits installed 20 years ago on cars and tires that were unsafe at those speeds. Right now, I can't think of a single new car sold in the US that isn't capable of operating safely at 80 mph. Truthfully, most new cars are safe at 100 mph and many could do fine even faster. So, don't play your little power games on the roadway. Travel politely, and stay out of the way of the faster traffic. The next person you do that to might be angry enough, and armed enough to do something about it.

turbojimmy
01-19-05, 11:47 AM
But most important, as stated above, i do not allow anyones driving, to influence, how i drive, ever.

Don

This is the best advice. Life's too short, and it gets shorter if you start playing games at high speeds with other drivers. I just let 'em go by. I usually drive 10-15 MPH over the limit. I always set the cruise to I don't subconsciously speed up or slow down. It cracks me up when someone is riding my butt, I pull over, they go flying by and then I catch up a few minutes later - all with the cruise still set at the same speed. Then we do it all over again. Happens all the time. Most people don't want to drive faster, they just want to be in front of you. I don't get it - I'm a magnet for that crap (it may be what I drive - dunno).

I pound my aggressions out at the track - makes me a lot more sane (though not completely sane) on the public roads.

Jim

Stoneage_Caddy
01-19-05, 12:41 PM
its quite a problem down here with tailgaters ...for some reason they still dont understand the idea of "drive right" "pass left"

ill have cruise locked at my desired speed and be in the right lane , with nothing in the left lane and they will get into the right lane(from left lane) and ride my ass .

So i beging one second taps of the coast button (each time coast is tapped is 1mph) took one bastard all the way down to 31 mph before he gave up and passed me.

the other problem is people pulling out onto the highway directly infront of me . I susualy get intot he left lane if no one is there so a entering car has room to enter but every time they pull right into whatever lane im in and dont accelerate. More than once i have gotten ABS activation at 70 mph due to these bastards....also more than once they have slammed on there brakes upon entry trying to get rearended .....

welcome to florida , land of the worst drivers on earth

Dadillac
01-19-05, 06:29 PM
welcome to florida , land of the worst drivers on earth

You've never been to Jersey, have ya? :gungrin:

Don

hungryhippo
01-19-05, 07:05 PM
i've done it before, but ONLY if they do it first. the best was when there was no traffic and i wouldnt let the guy pass me, lol. normally if someone is tailing me for no reason or i'm not in the left lane, i'll slow down a little bit with the brake then speed up with the brakes still on.

Vesicant
01-19-05, 08:04 PM
You've never been to Jersey, have ya? :gungrin:

Don

lol.. there is actually a lot of the drivers down here that ARE from jersey and new york as well.. I see jersey and new york plates all the time, and i know some people personally form jersey and york'

Its also a mix of people from Georgia, California, North/South Carolina and all other foreign countries. Its worse because the roads are cramped (width wise) already.

SHERIFF
01-19-05, 09:44 PM
I'm not going to pass judgement on anybody's opinion here thus far........... but I will say this.... if I am traveling 55 mph in a 55 mph zone, and you're 3 to 4 car lengths behind me flashing your headlights.... I am slowing down too. Just to piss you off, because you have just pissed me off. At what rate I slow down is my choice. You better be prepared to deal with it. :D

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/843/cforum.jpg

DaveSmed
01-19-05, 09:59 PM
...And this is why a concept like the autobahn will never work here.

Flash to pass isn't just called that for laughs, its used as a polite way to signal that you want to overtake someone. (...with tailgating being the impolite way.) If your in the left lane, common courtesy is to move right and let them pass. It is what tle left lane is for in most places as well. There also acting in a safe manner, and signaling in advance before they get too close, to allow you time to safely get over to another lane. Brake checking is NOT a safe practice, see post #7 above. I follow farther back, to allow a cushion for my car's stopping capabilities. (and use flash to pass) Some people don't. It would suck to see a tractor trailer parked on top of your trunk......

Rolex
01-19-05, 10:16 PM
I resist doing stupid sh*t like brake checking as best I can. On rare occasion I will tap the brake pedal to make the person behind me aware they are on my nerves, but I NEVER slam on my brakes (I agree that's dangerous and stupid). I only do that "tap" on single lane roads where moving there is no right hand lane. If I'm on a two lane road I get over and let people pass. I will usually allow the passer to get 1/4 mile ahead and increase my speed to theirs, and let them trip all the radars for me. :rolleyes: I am guilty (frequently) of riding people's tailgate if they won't move into the slow lane. But I'm also not too proud to pass someone in the slow lane either.

I think you learn to do less stupid driving as you get older. I don't get AS aggravated at stupid drivers anymore either, it wastes too much of my energy.

Jon
01-19-05, 10:22 PM
If anyone chooses to ride my ass or tail gate me for any reason, I will **** them up no questions asked. Always have, still do, always will. Will I lock up my brakes to the point that they smoke? No. Will I tap my brakes enuff so that you know to get off my ass? Yes. I cannot for the life of me understand what the hell is goin on in some people's minds. If I'm in a train of cars doin 140km/h, and I"m the 3rd car or somethin, some idiot will get on MY ass and try to get me outta the way. I will NOT move over for tail gaters. First, it is not my fault we are doin 140km/h, I'm not the first car in the train. What the **** is tailing me gonna do? I have done everything from putting 2 wheels on the shoulder to kick up debris all over their car, to slowing down back to the speed limit, and punching it when they try to pass me. If I'm the first car in the train, I always move over if I see someone going faster than me in my mirror. I have had idiots tail gate me in heavy traffic. Where the **** do you want me to go? Over the car in front of me? Anyone who drives like THAT should be removed from THEIR car and be beaten with both of their own 2 shoes.

DaveSmed
01-19-05, 10:35 PM
Also agree, I get this side as well. Because I follow farther behind than most, I usually am subject to tailgating in that circumstance. Another thing that pisses me off is when people try to apply this to one lane (no passing zone) roads. There is no one for that person to go, there free to do from the speed limit to whatever they can afford ticket-wise. But they must also deal with the rest of traffic on that road, no exeptions, your not special. This is why the speed limits are critical, sound traffic engineering is a must. The limit should be based on the 85th percentile (slipping... into... rant... must... stop...) of traffic travelling on that road in a proper traffic study.

BTW, is anyone part of the NMA? http://www.motorists.org/ (the "steal this" editorals are very well done.)

Stoneage_Caddy
01-19-05, 10:40 PM
...And this is why a concept like the autobahn will never work here.

the reason the autobahn wont work is no one im america realizes the concept of drive right !!!!

Too many loosers with driver liscenses think they are most important person out there and and no matter what speed there running they will not be passed. welcome to this stupid "me genration" , no consideration for others .

i dont give a good god damn if your running 140 mph in the left lane , if there is no one over on the right get your dumb ass over there ...the left lane is for passing only !!!!

I also dont give a good god damn how much of a hurry you think your in or how worried you are that if your behind me i will delay your trip. Pull out onto the highway and ACCELLERATE . dont screw around and do not pull out directly infront of me and forget where you gas pedal is when there isnt a single car behind me for miles (you wouldnt belive how often it happens to me)

Florida is home to the worst drivers int he world , i dont care what state you drive in , you send your population down here to see some stupid arse mouse and i have to baby sit them year round. I forgot to mention those in your population you send down here to die that should be in a nurseing home

sorry just got home from yet another moron filled commute

danbuc
01-19-05, 10:58 PM
I had someone pull out from a gas station, move left across all three lanes, and pull right in from of me, and slow down. This is just rediculous. It was 10:00 at night, and I was the only person on the road. WTF was going through that person head. I was in the far left lane, and the gas station was all the way on the right, two lane over. It's a three lane road. There's plenty of room for the two of us. Of course I shot around them on the right, and gave them the horn, brights, and the finger, all at the same time (it was very complicated to do!). I've had this happen twice to me on the same road. I try my hardest not to tailgate. I never do it in traffic, under any circumstances. You never know when the person in front of you will have to brake. I also always use flash to pass if I can, but sometimes, people are just to busy talking on there CELLPHONES, to notice that I'm trying to pass. I will usually flash at least three times, leaving about 10 seconds in between each one. If they still don't move, I will move up to within about 1-2 car lengths, and leave my brights on until they get the message. That alsways works. I have seen what can go wrong with brake checking someone. I was in the city once, driving down the west side highway. There was a little bit of traffic, and I saw a Cab tailgaiting someone in an Acura. This person decided to brake check the Cab. WRONG! The Cab smashed into the rear bumper of the Acura, and ran him into the gaurd rail. His car was totaled instantly. He got what was coming to him though. I've said this many times in the past. If you are going to brake check people, you better be willing to live with the consequences. Granted this person didn't just tap the pedal, but actually slowed down, it's the whole idea behind it. If someone is tailgaiting you, the SAFEST thing to do is move over. That's It. There is no reason to take the law into your own hands, that's what gets people hurt. :annoyed:

Stoneage_Caddy
01-19-05, 11:05 PM
cellphones ...another pet peeve ...and another trait of the me first generation ...these people do ANYTHING but drive ...

hang up the phone , put down the burger, wait on the makeup , stow your pda,turn off youR laptop, put away your book(im not kidding i see it all the time), quit staring at the girl in the cabrio next to you (we all know shes hot)...AND DRIVE !!!!

europe still laughs at us for haveing to have ashtrays and cup holers in our cars ...they dont understand that in america we dont drive ..here we take care of everything else behind the wheel and if we have time maybe we might drive ....

Ralph
01-19-05, 11:06 PM
I agree Stoney about the mergers NOT speeding up!! VERY frustrating, especially when you look over your left shoulder and see a swarm of cars about to fight you for your spot! Usually it's senior citizens, and I mean 85 years olds. I don't have a problem merging when I'm behind a kid in a hot car, usually. :)

DaveSmed
01-19-05, 11:12 PM
Stoneage, sounds like you could use a new set of wheels down there....

2.5 tons, 6 wheel drive.... :yup:

Vesicant
01-19-05, 11:39 PM
Over the weekend we were driving on a bridge near whats called "the beaches" here...

We're both in the left lane... theres this Hyundai Santa-fe infront of us going slightly slow and the middle lane is open to pass her up (shes on a cell phone). Taking our time we get in the middle and are paired up even on either side ... slowly accelerating since nothings going on and everyone else has their distance. The lady turns her signal on, and starts turning right into us!! Pretty sure she has no idea we're there, Im freakin out, start honkin and swerve to the far right lane (3 lane highway)... luckily the far right was open. The lady kept going on over to the middle lane like nothing ever happened.

Worst nightmare right there. That or someone merging into us from the side.. two worst fears i have.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-20-05, 12:24 AM
dave , i used to drive the duce and a halfs all the time , they were great fun ...till you get one with a blown clutch and have to go up a 10% grade ...had to turn around and get a 3 mile running start at it , had her wrapped out at 60mph to build enough momentum to carry me over the top ..barely made it

Jeffery , just last week i had one of those isuzu box truck things do that to me , only i had no where to go ....i saw him coming over and had to nail the throttle , only space was to my front ,went from 70-90 , bought me three inches , by the time he figured it out it was almost too late . He overcorrected and had to have put the truck on 2 wheels , dont know how he saved it.
Haveing driven 18 wheelers off and on for the past 6 years i know not to poke around going by big trucks , so i had brought my speed up as i was passing him but it was just one of those deals that the timing couldnt have been any worse (well maybe it could have if the tranny didnt kick down to 2nd)

Rolex
01-20-05, 10:25 PM
I agree Stoney about the mergers NOT speeding up!!

Ever had someone come to a full stop on an interstate on-ramp? You're speeding up to 60 or 70 mph to merge with traffic, you look ahead and there's some idiot at a dead standstill looking over their left shoulder for a clear spot in traffic so they can pull on to the freeway!!! :rant2: Usually they're older then dirt.

I agree with all things said about cell phones. People drive slower and dumber when they are talking on a phone. Hang the hell up and drive people!!! :annoyed: :p

Fritzi
01-20-05, 11:48 PM
i figure this. If someone is going to get so close to me that they are making my driving a problem for me by making me nervous, then they deserve to be brake checked. I don't mind making people's heart drop when I brake check them. They should keep a safe distance. Damn it! And I dont really do it a lot, just when someone is really close for a really long time and I am doing well over the speed limit to make them happy.

Kev
01-27-05, 12:56 PM
i figure this. If someone is going to get so close to me that they are making my driving a problem for me by making me nervous, then they deserve to be brake checked. I don't mind making people's heart drop when I brake check them. They should keep a safe distance. Damn it! And I dont really do it a lot, just when someone is really close for a really long time and I am doing well over the speed limit to make them happy.
Early '80 s, driving a Mazda RX2 Coupe, in the left lane, 2 lanes each direction, 18 wheeler on my *ss, no where to go. All I see in the rear view is radiator grille. So, being the macho young (Huh?> love god) idiot that I was, I stabbed the brake and then the gas. The grille got a little bigger in my view and then backed off to a respectable distance.
Yes, it was foolish.:banghead2 No, I don't do that anymore.:tisk: Yeah, I got a kick out of it at the time, I bet the driver needed a whistle stop after that one.:devillaug

Kev

Kev
01-27-05, 01:30 PM
I live in the foreign state of California. Around here we have these laws for driving. The freeways have maximum and minimum speeds.

Illegal to tailgate.
Illegal to obstruct traffic (Left lane drivers who refuse to pull to the right for faster traffic).
Illegal to stop on the freeway for no good reason.
They consider stopping with the intention of causing the car behind to rear-end you fraud.

‘Course, there’s never a cop around when you need one, just when you make a mistake yourself! (Murphy’s Law).

The bottom line is that we humans are naturally selfish. If everyone treated others the way they want to be treated, we wouldn’t need laws and driving would be more friendly and pleasurable, much less tense. (Oh, sorry, that’s religion isn’t it?).

Kev