Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Represent

967 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  neuronbob 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I too hope they never get rid of the manuals, driving is so much fun with a manual. I wonder if in five or six generations, if they have the "Jetson's Car" will it come in a manual mode, cool if it would, can you imagine shifting at the speed of sound. AWESOME!!!!!!

#6 ·
The days of the manual are almost over because of the new CAFE standards. The days in which the manual achieves better fuel economy than an automatic are over because of transmission/engine computer algorithms set for maximum fuel economy.

Of course, manuals have been "dying out" since the automatic transmission gained traction in the 1960s, but they are certainly not dead yet. I plan to drive manuals as long as I can.

#7 ·
The automatic may be the manual transmissions's saving grace.

CAFE is about corporate fleet averages not specific mileages. Frankly that's why the CTS-V exists because they sell 90% of the CTS's volume in the V6 configurations.

If an 8speed auto putsout 40MPG in one car and that's the volume seller, the EPA doesn't care if a small percentage of the same car with a 6/7 speed manual only manages 32. The 'average' will still be higher.

That's why the ELR and the Aston martin Iq rip-offs exists.

#8 ·
speaking of mpg, a manual will give you 70 mpg instantaneously if you shift to neutral and take your foot off the gas pedal, works great on off ramps, will taking your foot off the gas pedal on an off ramp give you that in an automatic? Maybe, but I would guess around 50 mpg. Hence, the manual gives you more control over your fuel economy then the automatic, I could be wrong, but any driving related to fuel economy depends upon the driver, Hence, the old saying that is something like this " your actual mpg may vary"

Anyway for me the manual transmission RULE

----------

Also, forgot to mention, picked up on the neutral thing many years ago, when gas first went from 25 cents per gallon, and you had to buy on even and odd days.

Also, I am in the city, and still love driving a manual, even in congested traffic, so, when I move a few feet I can still have fun with my driving, and with the V if you leave me an opening, I can take it quickly and easily, doesn't get better than this. So, I want state it again, MANUAL TRANSMISSION RULE, last time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.