: 84 fleetwood brougham no charge light when car is off

JamesCaesar
05-24-13, 12:26 PM
1984 Fleetwood Brougham Sedan

Hi all. I've been looking around these forums, since I got my car a year ago, educating myself and fixing some problems. I can not figure this one out.

My no charge (battery) light will flicker on and off while driving, but it stays fully lit when my car is off and no keys in ignition. I've heard it could be a bad diode on my alternator. However I have recently installed new speakers, an amp and a subwoofer to my car. I have installed sound systems in many cars including my last which was a 1990 Lincoln town car and I have never had issues from a bad install.

I have tried a brand new battery, but it was drained over night. Right now I have a switch on my battery so I just turn it off when I park.

Most of the mechanics around where I live are total rip offs so if anyone has some advice as to how to decipher and eliminate this problem, I would immensely appreciate it.

csbuckn
05-24-13, 01:49 PM
Check your fuses. One side of the alt light comes from the fuse box so if the fuse is blown, it will stay on. But, it would stay on while driving I suppose.

AElayyat
05-24-13, 01:51 PM
I had the same problem with my 85 a while back...no charge light on with no key in ignition.

Issue was it was a bad alternator.

You mention you installed a sound system though..possible the amp is drawing power when car is off..check your remote turn on/off wire.

SafariOne
05-24-13, 02:19 PM
These units have an internal regulator so that would be a source of the drain if it was going south, but diodes should be changed at the same time if you have it apart. Probably just as cheap to replace the whole unit, depends if you want to keep your original equipment or not.

carnut
05-24-13, 03:03 PM
You have an internally shorted alternator. Replace it. Make sure once installed that the smog pump belt is tight! If loose, it will cause the alt. belt to slip at any RPM above idle. The smog pump adjustment is done from under the car below the smog pump.

The Ape Man
05-24-13, 04:04 PM
Yup. The internal regulator is shorted. It is backfeeding the dash bulb. Normal operation has the bulb fed by ignition circuit through a fuse. The other end of the bulb feeds one terminal that plugs into the regulator. It will kill your battery overnight. For now disconnect the battery or the two terminal alternator plug while not running.

My vote is to retrofit a more modern alternator. Mid 90s cars had some good ones.

JamesCaesar
05-24-13, 06:18 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice. I tested the remote turn on and the power wires for my amp and stereo; no problem there. I will replace the alternator tomorrow I hope, and I will update this thread.