: 1994 Base (non-Bose) head unit speaker issue

geigs
01-18-05, 11:06 AM
Hi,
I've got a 94 Sedan Deville with the standard cassette deck. I'm not getting volume of the left bank of speakers. :hmm: The right bank works fine. Any suggestions on what is going on, or how I can fix it? Thanks!

Kdirk
01-20-05, 04:49 PM
Hi,

If only one speaker is out, suspect the speaker has failed. If both front and back speakers on the left side are out, you probably have a blown channel on the head unit. This happened on my 91, very similar head unit to the 94/95 version and not that great IMHO for a Cadillac (of course this was the base system, so not a lot of effort or expense went into it I'm sure).

Your best bet is to find a used head unit (ebay should have several on any given day) or go aftermarket since the repair cost likely will be more that replacing it with either of the above options.

My 95 has (had) this same radio/casette unit which I removed (although it was working) to install an Alpine CD/MP3 system. One of the best things I ever did to the car since I bought it.

Out,

Kevin

STS 310
01-20-05, 07:01 PM
You have so many options for aftermarket with those year Caddys. Standard double DIN. Not the ergonomic shape of the post 95 Sevilles, Devilles and Eldos. Or BOSE, which is more appropriately known as "BLOWS".

geigs
01-21-05, 01:02 PM
Thanks Kdirk and STS. That's great advice and I'm going to take it.:thumbsup: I found a Pioneer DEH-P47DH (1.5 DIN), which runs around $175-$250. Are Caddy's plug and play or should I just have a pro install? Thanks again.

AceKool
01-21-05, 01:13 PM
I am glad you got the answer to your question.

However, I also have a '94 Sedan Deville. My radio problem is that when I engage the front speakers, the sound seems a little distorted. Is is possible they were just pumped up too much and they cracked?

What is my solution? New speakers? Thanks. :bighead:

caddydaddy
01-21-05, 02:03 PM
I'm pretty sure aftermarket head units won't work with the Delco speakers. I think they run different ohms. I think you have to change out all the speakers if you change to an aftermarket head unit.

Kdirk
01-21-05, 04:08 PM
geigs,

glad you found a solution that works for you. As to the impedance of the factory speaks, these are usually higher than normal impediance (I know the rear deck 6x9's were 10 ohms on my 1995 SDV) but this won't hurt an aftermarket amp, it'll just reduce your effective output power somewhat.

I used the factory Delco speaks with my Alpine head for a while, and they worked fine until I found a pair of 6x9's that I liked and would fit flush under the carpeted rear panel trim (I bought Boston Acoustics if anyone is wondering) .

I would recommend changing the speakers though if you are going to go with a good aftermarket head, as this will render a considerable improvement in the quality of your sound.

Acekool -

Your problem with the front speakers sounds like it is the speakers, not the amp [head unit]. I'm assuming it is both front speakers that sound poor based on your described problem. These are actually two component speakers, with a woofer in the lower door panel behind the carpet trim at the bottom, and a tweeter behind the square 4" cloth grill in the armrest.

These can be replaced, although the dual driver arrangement is a bit more complicated to find a drop in aftermarket kit for. The woofer is of standard size, either 6 or 6.5 inch by my recollection. The tweeter is a bit strange in it's mounting, I'm not sure - though I haven't looked - about whether this fits a standard profile for aftermarket component tweeters.

I imagine that an adapter can be fabricated without too much effort if need be. I've done this in other cars (3 fords - ugh! - they weren't mine luckily) and I'm certainly not the lord high fixer of autosound.

Best of luck!

Kevin

AceKool
01-21-05, 11:12 PM
Thanks for your help!

geigs
10-12-05, 05:28 PM
I have continued to use the current set-up as is and it has not really bothered me, but starting a few days ago, I've pretty much lost the front speakers and the right front speaker makes a crackle noise now. Is this just a continuation of the head unit failing, or am I losing the speakers as well. Thanks for any info.

Crypt0nite
10-13-05, 05:49 PM
Im havin the same problem with my '92 DeVille..I hear like a crackling noise comming out my speakers...from what I hear its commin from the back. Someone told me that I could have blew out the amp in my head unit from playin it too loud. I guess the head unit cant take that much (maybe).

But I wanna know whats causin the problem too...cuz Im still not sure..